Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: NAS Units

Re: NAS Units

victor

Collector€NZ wrote:
> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
>
> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
> Linux)

If you want a box to put some NAS OS on these look cool

http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/artigo2000.html

thingy

On Jul 13, 10:23*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Collector€NZ wrote:
> > Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
> > available. Those in the $250-$400 range.

> > My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
> > connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
> > raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
> > Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
> > Linux)

> If you want a box to put *some NAS OS on these look cool
>
> http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/artigo2000.html

but only hold 2 disk....

regards

Thing

victor

thingy wrote:
> On Jul 13, 10:23 am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Collector€NZ wrote:
>>> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
>>> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
>>> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
>>> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
>>> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
>>> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
>>> Linux)

>> If you want a box to put some NAS OS on these look cool
>>
>> http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/artigo2000.html

> but only hold 2 disk....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

So they do.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <2427d93d-a3c3-41b9-905d-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:

> but only hold 2 disk....

How many do you need? More drives = more power consumption and more noise.
Start with, say, a single 1.5TB drive as the current affordable state-of-
the-art. As you need more space, a 2 or 3TB drive should become
practicable--just move all your data across. Then later on, replace the
first drive with an even bigger one, and move it all again. And so it goes.

thingy

On Jul 14, 2:13*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <2427d93d-a3c3-41b9-905d-
>
> (E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:
> > but only hold 2 disk....

> How many do you need? More drives = more power consumption and more noise.
> Start with, say, a single 1.5TB drive as the current affordable state-of-
> the-art. As you need more space, a 2 or 3TB drive should become
> practicable--just move all your data across. Then later on, replace the
> first drive with an even bigger one, and move it all again. And so it goes.

Agreed, sort of, real minimal cost, yes....but a lot of it is
performance. With openfiler you can of course add disks to the volume
groups...do backups...etc etc.....

regards

Thing

Re: NAS Units thingy NZ Computing 10 07-14-2009 09:09 PM
Re: NAS Units PeeCee NZ Computing 2 07-13-2009 08:50 PM
Re: NAS Units J Brockley NZ Computing 3 07-13-2009 07:42 AM
Re: NAS Units Gordon NZ Computing 1 07-13-2009 03:56 AM
SimpleTech SimpleShare NAS @ Overclockers Online Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-03-2005 05:53 PM

Advertisments