Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: NAS Units

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: NAS Units

 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-12-2009
On Jul 12, 4:14*pm, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
>
> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
> Linux)


As long as performance is not an issue and you only want 2 disks and
small is essential as is low power/heat....then go for it....

If you want it to look Mac pro like, these are nice units,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/E...-228973942.htm

I have the FW/USB version and they seem quite good quality....mine is
a year old now....has 2 x 750gb in a raid one...700gb usable....no
issue on Mac or Linux or Windows....it just goes.

If on the other hand you want more than 2 disks then the NAS boxes get
very expensive and really suck for performance....4 disk NAS boxes are
stupid money and run awfully, but for home are just about OK...

If you want more then a DIY Openfiler or Freenas option is cheap and
very fast by comparison....both are web driven...but if you are a
windows chap then Windows storage server probably is your cup of tea,
of course that costs.

For performance I use Openfiler for a iscsi array to my esxi and then
also has cifs/samba....I have a 1.2TB PATA array, a 400Gb scsi array
and a 900Gb sata array....all off the one motherboard...

I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
disks right now it keeps my toes warm....



I might cook in summer though....

:/

LOL.

If you want real capacity and speed then 2 x PERC 5i or 6i raid
controllers ($250 each on trademe) would see 2 x Raid5(7+1)
arrays....so thats 14TB....at $215 a TB...

Then use the 6 on board sata channels as backup disks....or feed out
to eSATA....considering Dell/Promise/Dlink want $15k for 12Tb thats
quite a good deal...

Crazy but cool.....

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-12-2009
"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
>disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
>case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
>can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
>disks right now it keeps my toes warm....
>


Any chance of a piccy or three from different angles of that setup??

Would be inspirational!


Alan.

--

The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-12-2009
On Jul 13, 10:16*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> >I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
> >disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
> >case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
> >can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
> >disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

>
> Any chance of a piccy or three from different angles of that setup??
>
> Would be inspirational!
>
> Alan.



Um....somehow....yes....I have some initial build ones....been meaning
to take more anyway.

regards








 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-12-2009
On Jul 13, 11:01*am, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 10:16*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
> > "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> > >I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
> > >disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
> > >case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
> > >can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
> > >disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

>
> > Any chance of a piccy or three from different angles of that setup??

>
> > Would be inspirational!

>
> > Alan.

>
> Um....somehow....yes....I have some initial build ones....been meaning
> to take more anyway.
>
> regards


Front shot....

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

The bright blue LED on the middle right is the CF disk it just happens
to be accessed in that split second, it runs of the motherboard as 4gb
solid state CF x133 speed disk...same led on the left is connected to
the scsi disks...

Middle left is the Lan-li temp / fan controller....4 x fans and 4 x
temp sensors. So the four front fans will be speed controlled via the
temp sensors...to reduce noise....as much as anything.

I want to install an aerocool 3.5 inch temp sensor / fan control for
the remainder of the fans....or maybe another lan-li by removing the
cd burner which is pretty much redundant.

I need to open it up to sort the wiring so will take more.

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-12-2009
"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Front shot....
>
> http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg
>


Cool - do post those internal shots when you get the chance

Thanks,

Alan.


--

The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2009
On Jul 13, 11:49*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > Front shot....

>
> >http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

>
> Cool - do post those internal shots when you get the chance
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
>


I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
get asked....

;]

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/front.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/3...ata-maxtor.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sata-pata-conv.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/6...rs-x-320gb.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/scsi-perc-card.jpg

regards

thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2009
On Jul 13, 11:49*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > Front shot....

>
> >http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

>
> Cool - do post those internal shots when you get the chance
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
>


I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
get asked....

;]

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/front.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/3...ata-maxtor.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sata-pata-conv.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/6...rs-x-320gb.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/scsi-perc-card.jpg

regards

thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2009
On Jul 13, 6:43*pm, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thingy wrote:
> > On Jul 12, 4:14 pm, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
> >> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.

>
> >> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
> >> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
> >> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
> >> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
> >> Linux)

>
> > As long as performance is not an issue and you only want 2 disks and
> > small is essential as is low power/heat....then go for it....

>
> > If you want it to look Mac pro like, these are nice units,

>
> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/E...ernal-hard-dri...

>
> They look interesting but at 600- 700 bucks
>
>
>
> > I have the FW/USB version and they seem quite good quality....mine is
> > a year old now....has 2 x 750gb in a raid one...700gb usable....no
> > issue on Mac or Linux or Windows....it just goes.

>
> > If on the other hand you want more than 2 disks then the NAS boxes get
> > very expensive and really suck for performance....4 disk NAS boxes are
> > stupid money and run awfully, but for home are just about OK...

>
> > If you want more then a DIY Openfiler or Freenas option is cheap and
> > very fast by comparison....both are web driven...but if you are a
> > windows chap then Windows storage server probably is your cup of tea,
> > of course that costs.

>
> > For performance I use Openfiler for a iscsi array to my esxi and then
> > also has cifs/samba....I have a 1.2TB PATA array, a 400Gb scsi array
> > and a 900Gb sata array....all off the one motherboard...

>
> > I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
> > disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
> > case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
> > can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
> > disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

>
> >

>
> > I might cook in summer though....

>
> > :/

>
> > LOL.

>
> > If you want real capacity and speed then 2 x PERC 5i or 6i raid
> > controllers ($250 each on trademe) would see 2 x Raid5(7+1)
> > arrays....so thats 14TB....at $215 a TB...

>
> > Then use the 6 on board sata channels as backup disks....or feed out
> > to eSATA....considering Dell/Promise/Dlink want $15k for 12Tb thats
> > quite a good deal...

>
> > Crazy but cool.....

>
> > regards

>
> > Thing


Includes disk...I have seen awful cheap crap that barely works....or
does not, or cooks the disk....

regards

thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2009
On Jul 13, 4:19*pm, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 11:49*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
> > "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

>
> > > Front shot....

>
> > >http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

>
> > Cool - do post those internal shots when you get the chance

>
> > Thanks,

>
> > Alan.

>
> I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
> get asked....
>
> ;]
>
> http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/f...-perc-card.jpg
>
> regards
>
> thing


http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/15-disks.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/rear.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/rear-pci-slots.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/8-pata.jpg

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/4...power-loom.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/4...power-loom.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/raid-fan.jpg

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/v...xi-at-home.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/4...b-scsi-lun.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/5...b-pata-lun.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0023A.jpg
http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sx6000-menu.jpg






 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2009
"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
> get asked....
>


{Grin}

The 15 disks is very impressive!

Alan.

--

The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: NAS Units victor NZ Computing 4 07-14-2009 03:10 AM
Re: NAS Units PeeCee NZ Computing 2 07-13-2009 08:50 PM
Re: NAS Units J Brockley NZ Computing 3 07-13-2009 07:42 AM
Re: NAS Units Gordon NZ Computing 1 07-13-2009 03:56 AM
SimpleTech SimpleShare NAS @ Overclockers Online Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-03-2005 05:53 PM



Advertisments