Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: blocking the worst websites

Re: blocking the worst websites

Kerry Brown

You could try using OpenDNS as a forwarder.

http://www.opendns.com/

--
Kerry Brown

"tg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I want to know if there's a list available of say 100 (or less) most
> dangerous ip addresses to avoid. Not spam blacklists, but ip's that hack
> and infect visitors. I know about hosts.zip and I've got this file in my
> PC, but this list is too big for the config of my cisco router and I want
> these sites blocked at my router, so I have to trim the list down to about
> 100 ip's at most. Thanks for any advice.

Kerry Brown

"tg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
> newsta6m.90044$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You could try using OpenDNS as a forwarder.
>>
>> http://www.opendns.com/

> thanks for your feedback Kerry, opendns looks like a good solution and I'm
> using them now. I instantly noticed some sites being blocked which was
> reassuring. It's good that you can specify exact sites to be blocked or
> allowed but I missed was the ability to upload a (big) personalised
> blacklist. Oh well, can't have everything lol.

You're welcome. OpenDNS can be an option. Personally I'd rather control my
own DNS. DNS is the bedrock the Internet is built on. It's hard to put into
words but I'm not comfortable with my DNS queries being played with and not
always getting the authoritative answer. So far I trust OpenDNS but
modifying DNS answers could be the start of a ride down a slippery slope.

I do recommend OpenDNS for home users and small p2p networks.

--
Kerry Brown