Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra msg - mail not sent

xtra msg - mail not sent

Jack Spratt

Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination and
the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
settings.
I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof my
email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.
Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

+++

Dear Customer,

Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
addresses.

This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").

You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
email addresses currently linked to your account.

Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been blocked
and therefore not sent.

Action required to ensure you can send email

To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is completed
you will be able to send email from these addresses again.

How to verify your email address

Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553

These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
from that address.

David Empson

Jack Spratt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?

Some of my clients have seen the same message or a very similar one when
they actually were sending messages with the wrong "From" address (and
the messages they sent were not getting to the destination).

> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination and
> the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
> settings.
> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof my
> email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.

If you have your own domain name hosted by Yahoo/Xtra then that is a
very likely explanation.

> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

Could also be someone else mimicking the legitimate error messages that
Yahoo sends, in a phishing attempt. Is the link really pointing at
Telecom?

Alternatively, Yahoo has stuffed up and is sending bogus error messages.

--
David Empson

bugalugs

Jack Spratt wrote:
> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
> and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web
> mail settings.
> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to
> spoof my email address in which case they are only adding to the
> problem/traffic.
> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
>
> +++
>
> Dear Customer,
>

> Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
> addresses.
>

> This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
> unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one
> source but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
>

> You have received this message because you have recently attempted to
> send an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not
> match email addresses currently linked to your account.
>

> Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been
> blocked and therefore not sent.
>

> Action required to ensure you can send email
>
> To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to
> add the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is
> completed you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
>

> How to verify your email address
>
> Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
> http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
>

> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses
> to your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note
> it will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email
> addresses you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send
> email again from that address.

I have seen it a couple of times. Usually when I have created an email
while reading in newsgroups using my bugalugs account and I have changed
the address from 'Newsgroups' to 'To' and an address from my Personal
Address Book. Correction is simply a matter of changing the Sender to
the appropriate one for that Account.

Jack Spratt

"David Empson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1j2qucl.13jg3xoag8ea8N%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Jack Spratt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?

> Some of my clients have seen the same message or a very similar one when
> they actually were sending messages with the wrong "From" address (and
> the messages they sent were not getting to the destination).

Settings are the same as they have been for 12+ years.

>> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
>> and
>> the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
>> settings.
>> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof
>> my
>> email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.

> If you have your own domain name hosted by Yahoo/Xtra then that is a
> very likely explanation.

On this occasion we are talking ISP address mail.

>> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

> Could also be someone else mimicking the legitimate error messages that
> Yahoo sends, in a phishing attempt. Is the link really pointing at
> Telecom?
>
> Alternatively, Yahoo has stuffed up and is sending bogus error messages.

I have forwarded a couple of them to the Xtra help desk and they have
responded.
They also tell me to look at my from address and to check that any alias' I
use are listed in their web mail options.

They all are. My mail is always delivered.
IMO they are acting on spam that is spoofing my address and only adding to
the problem. I have told them this.

Gordon

On 2009-07-11, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jack Spratt wrote:
>> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
>> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
>> and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web
>> mail settings.
>> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to
>> spoof my email address in which case they are only adding to the
>> problem/traffic.
>> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
>>
>> +++
>>
>> Dear Customer,

[snip]

>> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses
>> to your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note
>> it will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email
>> addresses you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send
>> email again from that address.
>>

> This has to be one of the silliest emails I have seen from an ISP, it
> looks so Phishing that it stinks

But was the email from an ISP, or a Phisher?

If so he has picked the right place to cast his bait.

Gordon

On 2009-07-12, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David Empson wrote:
>> Jack Spratt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?

>> Some of my clients have seen the same message or a very similar one when
>> they actually were sending messages with the wrong "From" address (and
>> the messages they sent were not getting to the destination).
>>
>>> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination and
>>> the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
>>> settings.
>>> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof my
>>> email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.

>> If you have your own domain name hosted by Yahoo/Xtra then that is a
>> very likely explanation.
>>
>>> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

>> Could also be someone else mimicking the legitimate error messages that
>> Yahoo sends, in a phishing attempt. Is the link really pointing at
>> Telecom?
>>
>> Alternatively, Yahoo has stuffed up and is sending bogus error messages.
>>
>>> +++
>>>
>>> Dear Customer,
>>>
>>> Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
>>> addresses.
>>>
>>> This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
>>> unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
>>> but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
>>>
>>> You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
>>> an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
>>> email addresses currently linked to your account.
>>>
>>> Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been blocked
>>> and therefore not sent.
>>>
>>> Action required to ensure you can send email
>>>
>>> To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
>>> the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is completed
>>> you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
>>>
>>> How to verify your email address
>>>
>>> Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
>>> http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
>>>
>>> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
>>> your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
>>> will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
>>> you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
>>> from that address.

> Its genuine but still stinks as there is no personalization to help
> identify it as genuine. Just a link

Personalization? Example please.

Why is the orginal posting example of Phising and how would you change it to
alter it so that one believed it was genuine?

EMB

Jack Spratt wrote:
> IMO they are acting on spam that is spoofing my address and only adding
> to the problem. I have told them this.

You are wrong - they are not. They are suggesting that your Xtra login
is being used to authenticate and send email that does not use your Xtra
email address as sender.

Jack Spratt

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h3brmh$vuk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack Spratt wrote:
>> IMO they are acting on spam that is spoofing my address and only adding
>> to the problem. I have told them this.

> You are wrong - they are not. They are suggesting that your Xtra login is
> being used to authenticate and send email that does not use your Xtra
> email address as sender.

My settings are as they have been for 12+ years.
My user name is <word>.<word>
<word>.<word>@xtra.co.nz is the POP address.
For 10+ years I have used an email alias (provided to me by Xtra).
The alias is set as the from and reply to address and has been on every OS
(email client) I have used since Win 95.
For every 20 emails I send I will receive 1 of these auto emails from
Xtra/Yahoo.

There seems to be no pattern of it from my end which is why I assumed it was
the result of email spoofing.

PeeCee

"Jack Spratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3b5al$avk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
> and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
> settings.
> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof
> my email address in which case they are only adding to the
> problem/traffic.
> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
>
> +++
>
> Dear Customer,
>

> Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
> addresses.
>

> This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
> unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
> but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
>

> You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
> an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
> email addresses currently linked to your account.
>

> Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been
> blocked and therefore not sent.
>

> Action required to ensure you can send email
>
> To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
> the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is
> completed you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
>

> How to verify your email address
>
> Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
> http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
>

> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
> your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
> will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
> you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
> from that address.

Jack

It's for real, it's Xtra's way of reducing relaying and spoofing as used by
spammers.

The practical effect is to stop you sending emails as (E-Mail Removed) or
(E-Mail Removed) unless you go through the described procedure to
'authenicate' your alternative sending email address.

As your replys to others say you have used the same email addy for some
years.
In that case it may be a case of resetting your passwords.

I come across this 'wont authenticate' problem occassionally and have found
the quickest and easiest way to fix it is to log onto Xtra's change password
page and change your password(s) to something completely different.
By all means change it back again straight away, but this process seems to
reset something in Xtra's system.

Best
Paul.

Jack Spratt

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3c67i$dp9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jack Spratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h3b5al$avk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
>> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
>> and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
>> settings.
>> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof
>> my email address in which case they are only adding to the
>> problem/traffic.
>> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
>>
>> +++
>>
>> Dear Customer,
>>

>> Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
>> addresses.
>>

>> This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
>> unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
>> but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
>>

>> You have received this message because you have recently attempted to
>> send an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not
>> match email addresses currently linked to your account.
>>

>> Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been
>> blocked and therefore not sent.
>>

>> Action required to ensure you can send email
>>
>> To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to
>> add the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is
>> completed you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
>>

>> How to verify your email address
>>
>> Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
>> http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
>>

>> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
>> your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
>> will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email
>> addresses you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send
>> email again from that address.
>>

> Jack
>
> It's for real, it's Xtra's way of reducing relaying and spoofing as used
> by spammers.
>
> The practical effect is to stop you sending emails as (E-Mail Removed) or
> (E-Mail Removed) unless you go through the described procedure to
> 'authenicate' your alternative sending email address.
>
> As your replys to others say you have used the same email addy for some
> years.
> In that case it may be a case of resetting your passwords.
>
> I come across this 'wont authenticate' problem occassionally and have
> found the quickest and easiest way to fix it is to log onto Xtra's change
> password page and change your password(s) to something completely
> different.
> By all means change it back again straight away, but this process seems to
> reset something in Xtra's system.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thanks Paul.
Funny thing is that my email was re-authenticated recently as a result of
another Xtra email telling me that for security reasons my password had been
changed!
Yes this all sounds like fishing but it was confirmed by Xtra broadband over
the phone. I was unable to check my email (because of the reset password!!!)
and they were unable to explain why my password had been reset and could
find no trace of me requesting it.