Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installed debian lenny is crazy slow...

Installed debian lenny is crazy slow...

richms

Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
the person packing.

Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.

The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.

Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
they could publish this as being normal...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

Yeah, that is not really helpful.

I know nothing about linux, and wnat some basic troubleshooting details,
not some smartass tossers page about asking questions that is massivly
long and hard to read.

The question is fine, I have installed it, its too slow, where to look
for solutions.

Peter

richms wrote:
> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
> the person packing.
>
> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
>
> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
>
> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
> they could publish this as being normal...

run top from the command line
what is the system load?
is there some process using lots of CPU?

Richard

Peter wrote:
> richms wrote:
>> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
>> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
>> the person packing.
>>
>> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
>> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
>> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
>>
>> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
>> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
>>
>> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
>> they could publish this as being normal...

> run top from the command line
> what is the system load?
> is there some process using lots of CPU?

Will update once I am at where the machine is again.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h3bct0$gms$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is being
paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good answers, you're
going to have to ask good questions.

> I know nothing about linux ...

In that case, go and learn something first <http://wlug.org.nz/NewToLinux>.

Enkidu

richms wrote:
> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
> the person packing.
>
> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
>
> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
>
> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
> they could publish this as being normal...

Tabs are created instantly on my Ubuntu machine. What do you mean by
"slide in"?

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <h3bct0$gms$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

>> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

> We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is
> being paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good
> answers, you're going to have to ask good questions.

Idiot.

Cheers,

Cliff

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <h3bct0$gms$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

>> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

> We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is being
> paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good answers, you're
> going to have to ask good questions.

I installed it, its too slow to use - what is there to understand?

Windows works fine on an identical machine, except with a slower CPU in
it with firefox so its not the specs of the hardware.

Im going to try ubuntu on one of the other machines and see if its any
better, if it is will just install all the server stuff on it and move
it over.

>> I know nothing about linux ...

> In that case, go and learn something first <http://wlug.org.nz/NewToLinux>.

Yeah, again, not much help. I was hoping that someone would know that I
have to install some more drivers or something but finding anything
sensible on linux in google is hopeless since you just get unanswered
questions everywhere and stuff for other distributions...

Richard

Enkidu wrote:
> richms wrote:
>> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
>> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
>> the person packing.
>>
>> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
>> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
>> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
>>
>> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
>> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
>>
>> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
>> they could publish this as being normal...
> >

> Tabs are created instantly on my Ubuntu machine. What do you mean by
> "slide in"?

When it asks if you want to save a password, that bar appears at the top
with the do you want to save the password - yes, no, dont ask again etc
- on my windows machines it appears in a fraction of a second, on the
affected machine it seems to refresh about 5-6 times, each time taking
about half a second so all up it takes about 2 seconds or more.

Clicking onto a tab and it again takes 2 secs or so to display middle
click and 3-4 seconds to do anything - instant on windows on a similar
machine.

I will grab some video next time I am there of it and check top out for
cpu etc.