Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > recent computer trouble....

recent computer trouble....

catchme

my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
trouble locating.
Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:

1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
replacing or cleaning
3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early symptom.
6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
only one was the correct one.
Can anyone guess which it was?

hwf

In message <OAN5m.19$(E-Mail Removed)>, catchme wrote:
> my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
> wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
> For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
> play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
> trouble locating.
> Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
>
> 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
> 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
> replacing or cleaning

******* 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.****

Thats my guess. Ive heard CRT's make wacky noises before.
Whadda I win?

^_^

--
http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
-James Madison

chuckcar

catchme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:OAN5m.19$(E-Mail Removed):

> my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
> wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
> For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
> play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
> trouble locating.
> Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
>
> 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
> 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
> replacing or cleaning
> 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
> 4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
> 5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early
> symptom. 6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
> A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
> only one was the correct one.
> Can anyone guess which it was?

The monitor. Happens to TV's all the time.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

PeeCee

"catchme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OAN5m.19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
> wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
> For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
> play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had trouble
> locating.
> Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
>
> 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
> 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
> replacing or cleaning
> 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
> 4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
> 5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early
> symptom.
> 6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
> A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
> only one was the correct one.
> Can anyone guess which it was?

I did have a motherboard that under certain load conditions one of the
onboard voltage regulator inductors would 'sing' (whine if you like)
A dab or two of hot melt glue fixed that one.

Paul.

Singapore Computer Service

Hello,

Are you using a CRT monitor? Like the rest of the posts say, it is most
likely the CRT monitor.

Try tinkering with a lower or higher refresh rate on the monitor and it
should go away. You can change the refresh rate by going to Start > Control
Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Monitor

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL

philo wrote:

> I suspect #3 CRT whine.
>
> If that's wrong...then the only other thing I can think of that could
> whine would be the powersupply

-whaddya know- everybody was right the first try! I should have asked
here right off.
Me, well- i upgraded my psu first, then cleaned my cpu fan, graphics
card fan, and then decided to do a late spring cleaning on everything.
Then later (after plugging everything in and turning it on) on a whim, I
turned off the monitor in the middle of my game.
All and all, no harm, no foul. I have a supercharged powersupply for a
relatively modestly configured pc, now freshly cleaned. And a noiseless
monitor.

John Holmes

Singapore Computer Service "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods

HTH, you ****ing top-poasting, spamming idiot.

--
<snip>

Aardvark

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:35:27 +0800, Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hell

Fix your sig delimiter and quit top-posting.

Mike Yetto

Bada bing catchme <(E-Mail Removed)> bada bang:
> my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
> wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
> For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
> play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
> trouble locating.
> Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
>
> 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
> 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
> replacing or cleaning
> 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
> 4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
> 5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early symptom.
> 6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
> A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
> only one was the correct one.
> Can anyone guess which it was?

You're suffering from tinnitus.

Mike "not much you can do about it" Yetto
--
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
- William of Ockham