Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Strange and ever-changing icons on bookmark toolbar

Strange and ever-changing icons on bookmark toolbar

JackD@q[pr.com

In the last month or so, I keep seeing new icons appear each day for the
unchanging bookmarks on my toolbar. What gives?

I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 with XP Pro.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

JackD@q[pr.com wrote:
> In the last month or so, I keep seeing new icons appear each day for the
> unchanging bookmarks on my toolbar. What gives?
>
> I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 with XP Pro.

what are you talking about? How about providing a
screenshot somewhere so we can see what you're talking
about?

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:52:51 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
JackD@q[pr.com wrote:

> In the last month or so, I keep seeing new icons appear each day for the
> unchanging bookmarks on my toolbar. What gives?
>
> I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 with XP Pro.

If the web site or web page changes its favicon, then Firefox 3
will update the bookmark's icon.

Similarly if the browser cannot load the page icon for any reason
and reverts to using the site icon, then Firefox 3 will change the
bookmark's icon from the page icon to the site icon. If the page
icon loads next time you use the bookmark, then the bookmark's
icon will change back again.

I have seen bookmarks to Google Groups pages change from the
"speech bubbles" page icon from http://groups.google.com/groups/img/3/favicon.ico
to the "multi-coloured g" site icon from http://groups.google.com/favicon.ico
and back again.

--
Regards
Ralph

JackD@q[pr.com

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:59:16 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:52:51 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
>JackD@q[pr.com wrote:
>
>> In the last month or so, I keep seeing new icons appear each day for the
>> unchanging bookmarks on my toolbar. What gives?
>>
>> I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 with XP Pro.

>If the web site or web page changes its favicon, then Firefox 3
>will update the bookmark's icon.
>

>Similarly if the browser cannot load the page icon for any reason
>and reverts to using the site icon, then Firefox 3 will change the
>bookmark's icon from the page icon to the site icon. If the page
>icon loads next time you use the bookmark, then the bookmark's
>icon will change back again.
>

>I have seen bookmarks to Google Groups pages change from the
>"speech bubbles" page icon from http://groups.google.com/groups/img/3/favicon.ico
>to the "multi-coloured g" site icon from http://groups.google.com/favicon.ico
>and back again.

BINGO!

Thank you.

(Jeesh! Things have come a long way from Lynx.)