Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is there any way to use Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP) in Windows 7 x64?

Is there any way to use Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP) in Windows 7 x64?

tasdk

I recently installed Windows 7 RC x64. Since I also upgraded to 4 GB of RAM,
I installed the 64-bit version.

It seems there is no way to get A2DP working with my laptop's internal
Bluetooth device (BCM2045B) in Windows 7 RC x64. It worked perfectly in the
x86 version of Windows 7 Beta, without even installing any third-party
drivers, which was a pleasant shock. It was the first time I've ever had a
good experience with Bluetooth and especially A2DP on Windows.

Unfortunately, the A2DP drivers in the beta were removed from the RC, so now
it is back to the bad old days of struggling to get it to work, just like
Vista.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from my hardware vendor, but these
drivers do not support A2DP. I have also tried the Broadcom drivers
recommended by Windows as a 'solution', but they do not provide A2DP support
either.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with the
BCM2045B adapter?

2. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with ANY
Bluetooth adapter?

The only partial solution I have found is a buggy Bluetooth stack called
Bluesoleil. It works most of the time, but I often have to stop and restart
the Bluetooth device, and have also experienced one OS failure (the system
became unresponsive even to Ctrl+Alt+Del) since I installed Bluesoleil. For
various reasons, I suspect it was the cause.

It's easy to get A2DP working under Linux on the same machine, but Linux is
really an inferior good compared Windows, so I consider it a last resort.

I don't understand why A2DP is such a problem on Windows, especially since
it seemed to work in the Windows 7 beta, and apparently works in Windows
Mobile. If the drivers from the beta were removed to improve stability, I
think this was a mistake. Forcing users to install unstable third-party
Bluetooth software will certainly not improve the reputation of Windows.

Thanks for any help.

-tasdk

Bobby Johnson

It seems the A2DP may have some suggestions. http://www.a2dp.info/Articles/

Have you tried any of their solutions? I have had to use Vista drivers
for some of my hardware. I run the install in the Administrator mode
and select either 'Previous version' or 'Vista (x64) SP2' compatibility.

tasdk <<my name> <at> live wrote:
> I recently installed Windows 7 RC x64. Since I also upgraded to 4 GB of
> RAM, I installed the 64-bit version.
>
> It seems there is no way to get A2DP working with my laptop's internal
> Bluetooth device (BCM2045B) in Windows 7 RC x64. It worked perfectly in
> the x86 version of Windows 7 Beta, without even installing any
> third-party drivers, which was a pleasant shock. It was the first time
> I've ever had a good experience with Bluetooth and especially A2DP on
> Windows.
>
> Unfortunately, the A2DP drivers in the beta were removed from the RC, so
> now it is back to the bad old days of struggling to get it to work, just
> like Vista.
>
> I have downloaded the latest drivers from my hardware vendor, but these
> drivers do not support A2DP. I have also tried the Broadcom drivers
> recommended by Windows as a 'solution', but they do not provide A2DP
> support either.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with the
> BCM2045B adapter?
>
> 2. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with ANY
> Bluetooth adapter?
>
> The only partial solution I have found is a buggy Bluetooth stack called
> Bluesoleil. It works most of the time, but I often have to stop and
> restart the Bluetooth device, and have also experienced one OS failure
> (the system became unresponsive even to Ctrl+Alt+Del) since I installed
> Bluesoleil. For various reasons, I suspect it was the cause.
>
> It's easy to get A2DP working under Linux on the same machine, but Linux
> is really an inferior good compared Windows, so I consider it a last
> resort.
>
> I don't understand why A2DP is such a problem on Windows, especially
> since it seemed to work in the Windows 7 beta, and apparently works in
> Windows Mobile. If the drivers from the beta were removed to improve
> stability, I think this was a mistake. Forcing users to install unstable
> third-party Bluetooth software will certainly not improve the reputation
> of Windows.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -tasdk

tasdk

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used it successfully on Windows 7 RC
x64? I had it working on RC x86, but upgraded my RAM, so am now using RX
x64.

I have tried the Broadcom stack for Vista, as suggested on a2dp.info, and
the drivers install properly. However, "Bluetooth Stereo Audio" is missing
on x64.

A funny thing is that I can install the Broadcom Bluetooth stack in the XP
Mode virtual machine, and if I disable the integration features, it plays
audio fine. If I could redirect audio from the host to the VM, and enable
all the integration features except audio, it would be a decent solution.
The main drawback is that other Bluetooth devices can only connect to XP
mode, but I don't use many others anyway.

-tasdk

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems the A2DP may have some suggestions.
> http://www.a2dp.info/Articles/
>
> Have you tried any of their solutions? I have had to use Vista drivers
> for some of my hardware. I run the install in the Administrator mode and
> select either 'Previous version' or 'Vista (x64) SP2' compatibility.
>

> tasdk <<my name> <at> live wrote:
>> I recently installed Windows 7 RC x64. Since I also upgraded to 4 GB of
>> RAM, I installed the 64-bit version.
>>
>> It seems there is no way to get A2DP working with my laptop's internal
>> Bluetooth device (BCM2045B) in Windows 7 RC x64. It worked perfectly in
>> the x86 version of Windows 7 Beta, without even installing any
>> third-party drivers, which was a pleasant shock. It was the first time
>> I've ever had a good experience with Bluetooth and especially A2DP on
>> Windows.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the A2DP drivers in the beta were removed from the RC, so
>> now it is back to the bad old days of struggling to get it to work, just
>> like Vista.
>>
>> I have downloaded the latest drivers from my hardware vendor, but these
>> drivers do not support A2DP. I have also tried the Broadcom drivers
>> recommended by Windows as a 'solution', but they do not provide A2DP
>> support either.
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with the
>> BCM2045B adapter?
>>
>> 2. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with ANY
>> Bluetooth adapter?
>>
>> The only partial solution I have found is a buggy Bluetooth stack called
>> Bluesoleil. It works most of the time, but I often have to stop and
>> restart the Bluetooth device, and have also experienced one OS failure
>> (the system became unresponsive even to Ctrl+Alt+Del) since I installed
>> Bluesoleil. For various reasons, I suspect it was the cause.
>>
>> It's easy to get A2DP working under Linux on the same machine, but Linux
>> is really an inferior good compared Windows, so I consider it a last
>> resort.
>>
>> I don't understand why A2DP is such a problem on Windows, especially
>> since it seemed to work in the Windows 7 beta, and apparently works in
>> Windows Mobile. If the drivers from the beta were removed to improve
>> stability, I think this was a mistake. Forcing users to install unstable
>> third-party Bluetooth software will certainly not improve the reputation
>> of Windows.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> -tasdk

Bobby Johnson

Currently the only Bluetooth I use is a mouse and a Bluetooth cell phone
headset but I have not encountered any problems with either one. I use
a small generic USB Bluetooth dongle and the drivers are installed by
Windows 7 automatically. I have both Win 7 x64 and Win 7 x86 with
Bluetooth.