Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting to the internet

Connecting to the internet

Jack Bean

Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

Dan C

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 20:51:56 -0700, Jack Bean wrote:

> Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the
> internet with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what
> exactly causes your signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access
> servers?

http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/cluepon.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

Jack Bean

In article <000383d4$0$7728$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dan C says...

>On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 20:51:56 -0700, Jack Bean wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the
>> internet with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what
>> exactly causes your signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access
>> servers?

>http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/cluepon.jpg

Quit your day job and become a stand up comic in a bordello.

jack bean

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= says...

>Jack Bean wrote:
>>Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
>>with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
>> signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

>That is an incredibly broad question. You may want to investigate IP
>(internet protocol) communications. As a starting point:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol_Suite

Yep. That would be the bare basics. Perhaps I should ask what commands are
needed to make the connection with? Say if I wanted to write a web browser, or
some application that would require a connection, where could I learn to do
this?

VanguardLH

Jack Bean wrote:

> Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
> with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
> signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

Visit your local library.

PeeCee

"Jack Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the
> internet
> with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes
> your
> signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

Jack

As Roger implies you ask a rather ill defined question, but he is right to
point you to TCP/IP information.

Connecting to the Internet is rather simple in conceptual terms.
Your application makes a call to the Operating System to send or receive
data using the OS's networking services.
If your OS can not find the requested data locally then your OS usually asks
the 'Gateway' address if it can find the data.
This Gateway address is usually your "Internet Connection" be it Dialup,
ADSL, Wireless or Cable.
This Gateway then enquires 'up' the chain to your ISP and other Internet
services seeking/getting the data your application want's.

I guess the concept you have to get your head around is you don't issue
'commands' to connect to the internet.
Particularly with broadband you are already connected to the Internet.
What your application does is ask the Operating System for data from it's
networking services.
If the OS then has to ask other network services either localy or on the
"Internet" then those connections are made using the protocols the network
runs on.
So in the case of the Internet 'TCP/IP' is the protocol used to seek,
transfer and receive information from other Internet networking services.
So if you understand TCP/IP then you understand how the majority of modern
'Internetworking' works.

I rather like this statement from one of the sites listed below:
"While the Internet Protocol has many functions and characteristics, it can
be boiled down to one primary purpose: the delivery of datagrams across an
internetwork of connected networks."

The second your dialup connects to your ISP, or you plug the Ethernet cable
from your ADSL/Wireless/Cable modem into your PC you are part of this
'internetwork of connected networks' ie the "Internet".
ie you are 'Connected'

These links may help you understand what's involved:
http://modemhelp.net/faqs/tcp.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...er/scf4ap1.htm
http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jone...s_it_work.html
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPO...cteristics.htm

Best
Paul.

PeeCee

news(E-Mail Removed) om...
> PeeCee wrote:
>> "Jack Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the
>>> internet
>>> with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly
>>> causes your
>>> signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?
>>>

>> Jack
>>
>> As Roger implies you ask a rather ill defined question, but he is right
>> to point you to TCP/IP information.
>>
>> Connecting to the Internet is rather simple in conceptual terms.
>> Your application makes a call to the Operating System to send or receive
>> data using the OS's networking services.
>> If your OS can not find the requested data locally then your OS usually
>> asks the 'Gateway' address if it can find the data.
>> This Gateway address is usually your "Internet Connection" be it Dialup,
>> ADSL, Wireless or Cable.
>> This Gateway then enquires 'up' the chain to your ISP and other Internet
>> services seeking/getting the data your application want's.
>>
>> I guess the concept you have to get your head around is you don't issue
>> 'commands' to connect to the internet.
>> Particularly with broadband you are already connected to the Internet.
>> What your application does is ask the Operating System for data from it's
>> networking services.
>> If the OS then has to ask other network services either localy or on the
>> "Internet" then those connections are made using the protocols the
>> network runs on.
>> So in the case of the Internet 'TCP/IP' is the protocol used to seek,
>> transfer and receive information from other Internet networking services.
>> So if you understand TCP/IP then you understand how the majority of
>> modern 'Internetworking' works.
>>
>> I rather like this statement from one of the sites listed below:
>> "While the Internet Protocol has many functions and characteristics, it
>> can be boiled down to one primary purpose: the delivery of datagrams
>> across an internetwork of connected networks."
>>
>> The second your dialup connects to your ISP, or you plug the Ethernet
>> cable from your ADSL/Wireless/Cable modem into your PC you are part of
>> this 'internetwork of connected networks' ie the "Internet".
>> ie you are 'Connected'

> Thas xacactly what I wuz saying. Thank you.

YW
P.

why?

On 8 Jul 2009 20:51:56 -0700, Jack Bean wrote:

>Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
>with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
>signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

Wow what a big question.....

http://www.warriorsofthe.net/movie.html
Here you can find the movie Warriors of the net in several different
languages. It is the prefect tool for introducing Internet to novice
users. It helps the newcommers visualise how the Net works. The movie is
12 minutes long. It is about an IP packets journey through net past
routers, firewalls and transatlantic cables.

You know the basics such as what?

Ethernet
http://www.ethermanage.com/ethernet/ethernet.html
how it came to be.

Dialup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem
Modem (from modulator-demodulator)

Cable/Wifi are variations on a theme, different physical connections ,
transmission schemes and so on.

Cable modem signaling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
the ISP end of a cable modem on the HFC network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial
is a
uBR/CMTS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmts

Then there is the whole routing issue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_routing

ISPs tend to do peering
http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com/...212768,00.html
across thier AS to actually get to the internet backbone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonom...stem_(Internet)
odd that pasted badly due to the (

There isn't really a start, unless you go back to
Physical Layer - connectors/cable specs.
Data Link - Transfer data between nodes.
Up the OSI layers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
TCP/IP layers don't quite match OSI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model
(TCP/IP isn't the only protocol)

Getting that out of the way you go high level to client/server services.
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCP...rOperation.htm

You load a web browser (skip over all the software development /
interfacing to fundamental processes) that's your client.

[ You will be used to assuming that http runs on port 80, smtp mail is
25, pop3 110, telnet 23 and so on there is a list of well known ports
services are defined to run on the first 1024 in this list.

www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
Many of the other 60000+ are also defined, but generally you go out on
port 80 http and a random port number back.

If you have a Windows OS, the port / application list is
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017
This is the sort of list you use writing firewall rules, it lists
services with ports and protocols. ]

You type in a web address that's a (server physical box) running a
server service i.e. web server which listens for connections.

So you start at OSI 7 (basically) your application (browser) down to OSI
L1 across various layers 1-5 ish then back to L1 to 7 on ther server. Oh
then all in reverse again

See the stack connections diagram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model

Then TCP/IP itself sends out a request, waits for an answer, establishes
a connection, transfers data.

TCP/IP and HTTP sequence diagrams,
http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/
the *classic Stevens* diagram from the book.
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/perfnet/cs...state-diag.pdf
His text books, this is the really low leval guts of TCP,IP,HTTP,Telnet
and so on. The 3 - TCP/IP Illustrated volumes.
http://www.kohala.com/start/
You will notice the other titles, tey cover just about everything else
that's now relied on mail,dns, ipc, ftp, sockets, signals.

The essentials, RFC
http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html
and it's index
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/1rfc_index.txt

What is a RFC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments
pop3 email RFC
This is the basics of how pop3 works
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1939.txt
the commands to delete mail, list mail , command status.

HTTP
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html
this is where you get the 404 Page not found from (and status OK code
200 you don't see but you get the page loading). It's 1 of the various
messages about the HTTP conversation.

Domain Names / IPs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...bers_Authority

Other sites,
http://www.webopedia.com/
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/
http://www.tcpipguide.com/

Then of course not forgetting several 100 other things .... including,
switches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
proxies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Me

why?

On 8 Jul 2009 21:41:51 -0700, jack bean wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= says...
>>
>>Jack Bean wrote:
>>>Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
>>>with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
>>> signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

>>That is an incredibly broad question. You may want to investigate IP
>>(internet protocol) communications. As a starting point:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol_Suite

>Yep. That would be the bare basics. Perhaps I should ask what commands are
>needed to make the connection with? Say if I wanted to write a web browser, or
>some application that would require a connection, where could I learn to do
>this?

Pick a developemt tool, collect the appropriate libraries,
http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/
write the application.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...ets/index.html

http://devmentor.org/articles/networ...rogramming.pdf
Client / Server Programming with TCP/IP Sockets
That's a good article, pictures

It's the Stevens books mentioned earlier.

Here is a class project to write a client/server
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cs586/f02...1/project1.htm

http://gsk.sourceforge.net/gsk-refer...ttpclient.html
Tutorial: Writing a HTTP client How to write a web client

Oh and finally www.google.com

Results 11 - 20 of about 11,200,000 for write http client server. (0.11
seconds)

Me