Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Chrome Operating System

Google Chrome Operating System

Peter

Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

I hope so. The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
this hasn't really been available on PCs. Maybe Google can change this a
bit.
(Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

Nathan Mercer

On Jul 9, 7:21*am, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html
>
> I hope so. *The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
> this hasn't really been available on PCs. *Maybe Google can change this a
> bit.
> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

Bruce Sinclair

In article <h32rrs$1au$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?
>http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html
>I hope so.

MS haven't commented yet AFAIK.
That said, gmail is only just out of beta after ~5 years. I heard (radio
this morning ?) that chrome OS will be aimed at the netbook market to start
with and that one major distributor will be offering it.

> The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
>this hasn't really been available on PCs.

Well, that's basically not true ... but I'm guessing you knew that ?

> Maybe Google can change this a bit.
>(Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

... and IMO replacing a desktop based monolpoly with a web based one would
be a backward step.

Nik Coughlin

"vitw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a5521a1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:19:43 +1200, Allistar wrote:
>
>> The way to ave real freedom of choice in computing is to have the source
>> code for the software available, and to be not encumbered by patents.

> Always so true!
>
> I won't even run Google Desktop. Sorry, but I'm not ready to trust Google
> with intimate details of my computing.
>
> As for a GoogleOS, I won't even consider installing it unless I see write-
> ups from multiple teams of hackers either giving it a clean bill of
> health for security/privacy, or detailing ways to arrest any privacy
> threats.
>
> As for cloud computing - the only way I'd even dream of using that is if
> it was an architecture where I hold private keys locally, such that
> plaintext never travels to the host.

Apparently it will be open source

Mutlley

Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jul 9, 7:21*am, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html
>>
>> I hope so. *The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
>> this hasn't really been available on PCs. *Maybe Google can change this a
>> bit.
>> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

>It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

AD.

On Jul 9, 10:18*am, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

To me it sounds more like it will be positioned as a mostly stateless
thin mobile client for "the Google cloud" - you boot this device and
you just get a browser (chrome) for using all your Google apps.

More like what MS was afraid of back in the 90s when they decided it
would be a good time to nip this Netscape thing in the bud before
their browser became a viable platform in its own right.

Maybe Intels Moblin would be a closer competitor. I don't see it
really directly competing with Ubuntu quite so much.

--
Cheers
Anton

PeeCee

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 9, 7:21 am, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the
>>> desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html
>>>
>>> I hope so. The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice,
>>> and
>>> this hasn't really been available on PCs. Maybe Google can change this a
>>> bit.
>>> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

>>It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

> I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

How about 'GOS'

P.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Jul 9, 7:21*am, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the

> desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...e-chrome-os.ht
>ml
>>>
>>> I hope so. *The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
>>> this hasn't really been available on PCs. *Maybe Google can change this a
>>> bit.
>>> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

>>It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

>I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

Didn't sound like it to me. Sounded more like the design end point (still
years away) was something like 'a set of web applications' rather than an
OS. I guess we'll see.

Nik Coughlin

"trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqg5m.261716$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> I tried Windows 7 but found I like Vista better.

Huh?

How so? Genuinely interested.

Peter

Mutlley wrote:
> Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Jul 9, 7:21 am, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the
>>> desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...ducing-google-

chrome-os.html

>>It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

> I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

No, Goobuntu is the customised version of Ubuntu that Google uses
internally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

Google Chrome OS, Odds are stacked against Chrome OS's success Max Burke NZ Computing 1 07-11-2009 04:38 AM
Google Chrome crashes on Windows XP x64 Jean-Baptiste Faure Windows 64bit 12 12-23-2008 01:10 PM
Google Chrome JohnO NZ Computing 2 09-07-2008 12:40 AM
Google's new Chrome browser Roedy Green Java 32 09-06-2008 08:50 AM
Google Chrome Browser - Very Early Observations cwdjrxyz HTML 7 09-03-2008 12:51 PM

Advertisments