Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Automatically disable wireless

Automatically disable wireless

=?Utf-8?B?QmFydA==?=

Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they plug
in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
Thanks!

Michael Wilson

Change the hard ware profiles: 1 called office withe the nic enable and the
wireless disabled. the other called home, with the wireless enabled and the
nic disabled. At least that way the user will have to see while profile is
going to be loaded when he powers. Also se the auto start so that if they
ignore the option the boot up does not automatically start the top one on
the list.

Mike (MCP)
"Bart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they
> plug
> in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
> disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
> Thanks!

Mike Fields

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they

plug
> > in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
> > disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
> > Thanks!

> No built-in way in XP. Need to roll your own.
> --PA

No way possible to make it do that (there that should get
someone to write a quick utility to do exactly that -- sounds
like a good idea.) I would imagine a number of people would
like to see that sort of utility.

mikey

Pavel A.

"Bart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they plug
> in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
> disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
> Thanks!

No built-in way in XP. Need to roll your own.
--PA

oldguy

Hi,

This utility has already been written by someone for Toshiba notebook users.
It's called Network Device Switch. I've been using it on my Toshiba for
quite a time happily. There's no reason why someone else should write it for
other brands/other hardware. For further information, see Toshiba web site,
support section, downloads.

Good luck,
Engin

"Mike Fields" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Bart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when
>> > they

> plug
>> > in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
>> > disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
>> > Thanks!

>> No built-in way in XP. Need to roll your own.
>> --PA
>>

> No way possible to make it do that (there that should get
> someone to write a quick utility to do exactly that -- sounds
> like a good idea.) I would imagine a number of people would
> like to see that sort of utility.
>
> mikey

Pavel A.

"oldguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> This utility has already been written by someone for Toshiba notebook users. It's called Network Device Switch. I've been
> using it on my Toshiba for quite a time happily. There's no reason why someone else should write it for other brands/other
> hardware. For further information, see Toshiba web site, support section, downloads.
>
> Good luck,
> Engin

Not only Toshiba. Earlier Centrino WLAN adapters came with similar
utility from Intel.
However all solutions of this kind have problems, and have been abandoned by their vendors.
A good solution is expected to be the emerging standard IEEE 802.21

--PA