Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IE 8 on MS Windows XP Pro x64

IE 8 on MS Windows XP Pro x64

Ron Pflaumer

Each time I get an update, I expect IE8 to be installed, but get the message
that "Internet Explorer 8 is not supported on this operating system". I
decided to try downloading the IE8-WindowsServer2003-x65-ENU edition from the
IE8 mirror and this says exactly the same thing! What is happening here? Is
the automatic update completely awry? I would like to use IE 8 on my XP Pro
x64 system. Can you please suggest anything else I can do to make my system
accept IE8?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Ron

Jane C

Ron Pflaumer wrote:
> Each time I get an update, I expect IE8 to be installed, but get the message
> that "Internet Explorer 8 is not supported on this operating system". I
> decided to try downloading the IE8-WindowsServer2003-x65-ENU edition from the
> IE8 mirror and this says exactly the same thing! What is happening here? Is
> the automatic update completely awry? I would like to use IE 8 on my XP Pro
> x64 system. Can you please suggest anything else I can do to make my system
> accept IE8?
> Many thanks in anticipation.
> Ron

Hi Ron,

Try here:

Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Ron Pflaumer

Hi, thanks Jane C.
I have tried this and I still get the same response - "Internet Explorer 8
is not supported on this operating system". This is really weird as it's
supposed to have been written for this very purpose!

"Jane C" wrote:

> Ron Pflaumer wrote:
> > Each time I get an update, I expect IE8 to be installed, but get the message
> > that "Internet Explorer 8 is not supported on this operating system". I
> > decided to try downloading the IE8-WindowsServer2003-x65-ENU edition from the
> > IE8 mirror and this says exactly the same thing! What is happening here? Is
> > the automatic update completely awry? I would like to use IE 8 on my XP Pro
> > x64 system. Can you please suggest anything else I can do to make my system
> > accept IE8?
> > Many thanks in anticipation.
> > Ron

> Hi Ron,
>
> Try here:

> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Bobby Johnson

Do you have Service Pack to for Windows XP Pro x64 installed? I know it
doesn't specify it for Win XP Pro x64, but it does for Server 2003 x64
and they are the same OS base.

Also:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...t/call-us.aspx

Call us

Call our support number and get the answers you need to get you browsing
with Internet Explorer 8 quickly and easily. For more information on
phone support, visit our support site.

Toll-free number: 1-866-234-6020 (US and Canada only)

International number: Visit our support site for a list of international
numbers.

Hours of operation:
Monday – Friday, 5 am – 9 pm Pacific Time
Saturday – Sunday, 6 am – 3 pm Pacific Time
For consumers

Support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage is
available via the phone based on your locale. Customers must be running
Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment.

Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced
issues include problems that are associated with software and hardware
development, network connectivity, server-based technologies, and
business-critical systems.

Ron Pflaumer wrote:
> Hi, thanks Jane C.
> I have tried this and I still get the same response - "Internet Explorer 8
> is not supported on this operating system". This is really weird as it's
> supposed to have been written for this very purpose!
>
> "Jane C" wrote:
>
>> Ron Pflaumer wrote:
>>> Each time I get an update, I expect IE8 to be installed, but get the message
>>> that "Internet Explorer 8 is not supported on this operating system". I
>>> decided to try downloading the IE8-WindowsServer2003-x65-ENU edition from the
>>> IE8 mirror and this says exactly the same thing! What is happening here? Is
>>> the automatic update completely awry? I would like to use IE 8 on my XP Pro
>>> x64 system. Can you please suggest anything else I can do to make my system
>>> accept IE8?
>>> Many thanks in anticipation.
>>> Ron

>> Hi Ron,
>>
>> Try here:
>>

>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Ron Pflaumer

Dear Bobby,
Many thanks for your advice - Indeed, I have downloaded the Service Pack and
now am enjoying my first taste of using IE8 on the XP Pro x64 platform - well
done and thanks again!
Ron

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Do you have Service Pack to for Windows XP Pro x64 installed? I know it
> doesn't specify it for Win XP Pro x64, but it does for Server 2003 x64
> and they are the same OS base.
>
> Also:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...t/call-us.aspx
>
> Call us
>
> Call our support number and get the answers you need to get you browsing
> with Internet Explorer 8 quickly and easily. For more information on
> phone support, visit our support site.
>
> Toll-free number: 1-866-234-6020 (US and Canada only)
>
> International number: Visit our support site for a list of international
> numbers.
>
> Hours of operation:
> Monday – Friday, 5 am – 9 pm Pacific Time
> Saturday – Sunday, 6 am – 3 pm Pacific Time
> For consumers
>
> Support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage is
> available via the phone based on your locale. Customers must be running
> Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment.
>
> Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
> set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced
> issues include problems that are associated with software and hardware
> development, network connectivity, server-based technologies, and
> business-critical systems.
>

> Ron Pflaumer wrote:
> > Hi, thanks Jane C.
> > I have tried this and I still get the same response - "Internet Explorer 8
> > is not supported on this operating system". This is really weird as it's
> > supposed to have been written for this very purpose!

> >> Hi Ron,
> >>
> >> Try here:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >>

> >> --
> >> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> >> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> >> MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Bobby Johnson

I'm glad I could be helpful, Ron! You're welcome.

This is going to ruin my reputation with those that feel I'm a bit harsh
sometimes!