Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Need simple dvd software

Need simple dvd software

Walter R.

I replaced my eight year old CD burner with an LG DVD burner.

The new burner comes with a Nero Express software program of 200 MB. My old
software was only 6 MB and worked well.

All I want to use the DVD burner for, is to watch a rare movie DVD, listen
to MP3 music, look at some jpg albums, burn an occasional data backup, maybe
copy a movie DVD. That's about it.

Do I really need a 200 MB monster program to do this? I hate bloatware. Are
there any reasonably sized general purpose DVD reading and burning programs?

Thanks for your help

--
Walter

Walter R.

Actually, this DVD burning software is not 200 MB, it is 800 MB. This is
ridiculous.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2u55q$mdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I replaced my eight year old CD burner with an LG DVD burner.
>
> The new burner comes with a Nero Express software program of 200 MB. My
> old software was only 6 MB and worked well.
>
> All I want to use the DVD burner for, is to watch a rare movie DVD, listen
> to MP3 music, look at some jpg albums, burn an occasional data backup,
> maybe
> copy a movie DVD. That's about it.
>
> Do I really need a 200 MB monster program to do this? I hate bloatware.
> Are
> there any reasonably sized general purpose DVD reading and burning
> programs?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> --
> Walter

whosbest54

In article <h2u55q$mdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>I replaced my eight year old CD burner with an LG DVD burner.
>
>The new burner comes with a Nero Express software program of 200 MB. My old
>software was only 6 MB and worked well.
>
>All I want to use the DVD burner for, is to watch a rare movie DVD, listen
>to MP3 music, look at some jpg albums, burn an occasional data backup, maybe
>copy a movie DVD. That's about it.
>
>Do I really need a 200 MB monster program to do this? I hate bloatware. Are
>there any reasonably sized general purpose DVD reading and burning programs?

I've used this one for basic stuff.

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

The d/l is about 3.1 MB.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

JohnQPublic

Simple? I suppose anything is simple after you understand it. I've never
found anything related to DVD software really simple, but understandable
after some effort and experimentation.

Nero is mostly bloat and crap IMHO, although I use their BackItUp and
DiscSpeed utilities. I've installed their other stuff in the past but don't
use it, so won't reinstall in future. I found some of it harmful to my op
system, dangerous to try to uninstall. You must use their special
uninstaller utility(s).

The only thing on the free software discs that comes with LG burners that
I've found
really useful is Power DVD (5.0) from Cyberlink and their codecs. A later
version didn't work very well on my older XP Home op system. It plays DVD
movies fine and has all the versatility I want in that regard.

Imgburn (free) is the definitely the best burning software.

A combo of DVD Shrink, RipIt4Me, DVD Fab HD Decrypter, and FixVTS (all free)
does all my ripping and editing chores.

Windows Media Player and Windows op system graphic viewer handles whatever I
want to do with music or photos, which isn't very much. I concentrate mostly
on DVD movies.
JQP

"Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2u55q$mdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I replaced my eight year old CD burner with an LG DVD burner.
>
> The new burner comes with a Nero Express software program of 200 MB. My
> old software was only 6 MB and worked well.
>
> All I want to use the DVD burner for, is to watch a rare movie DVD, listen
> to MP3 music, look at some jpg albums, burn an occasional data backup,
> maybe
> copy a movie DVD. That's about it.
>
> Do I really need a 200 MB monster program to do this? I hate bloatware.
> Are
> there any reasonably sized general purpose DVD reading and burning
> programs?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> --
> Walter

daisyblue daisyblue is offline
Junior Member

If the DVD is not protected , you can just use Nero. But as I know, for protected DVDs, Nero does not work. You can try Daniusoft DVD Ripper, it works fine.