Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Solid-State Drive Performance

Solid-State Drive Performance

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Great on reads, can be problematic on writes. There is discussion of adding
a "TRIM" command to these drives to tell them that the contents of certain
blocks do not need to be preserved, thereby speeding up writes. But Windows
7 doesn't support that.

<http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136>

Nik Coughlin

news:h2rj4t$vl7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Great on reads, can be problematic on writes. There is discussion of
> adding
> a "TRIM" command to these drives to tell them that the contents of certain
> blocks do not need to be preserved, thereby speeding up writes. But
> Windows
> 7 doesn't support that.
>
> <http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136>

Huh? Reading comprehension?

From the article:

"However, a potentially better solution to the block-rewrite problem looms
just over the horizon in the form of the TRIM command.

Due to be supported by Windows 7, the TRIM command promises deal with the
block-rewrite penalty by emptying pages when data is deleted rather than
simply marking them as available. The spec has yet to be finalized, though,
and no drives currently support the command in the Windows 7 Release
Candidate. Indilinx has pledged to add Windows 7-compliant TRIM support in a
future firmware update. Samsung has also promised TRIM support, but Intel
has been largely mum on the subject. We'd expect it to follow suit, either
with entirely new drives or firmware updates for existing ones."

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h2rkq1$a05$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> From the article:
>
> Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve at
least one of the following things:

* further delays to the release schedule
* further QA problems

Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

Nik Coughlin

news:h2rmt7$26s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <h2rkq1$a05$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> From the article:
>>
>> Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
> at
> least one of the following things:
>
> * further delays to the release schedule
> * further QA problems
>
> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

Bobs

On Jul 6, 2:18*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <h2rkq1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
> > From the article:

> > Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve at
> least one of the following things:
>
> * further delays to the release schedule
> * further QA problems
>
> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

Seriously, what are you on LArry? No one really knows.

TRIM is supported in windows 7, just that the hardware vendors have
not added it to their firmware.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h2rpn7$g60$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:h2rmt7$26s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> In message <h2rkq1$a05$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>
>>> From the article:
>>>
>>> Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

>> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
>> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
>> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
>> at least one of the following things:
>>
>> * further delays to the release schedule
>> * further QA problems
>>
>> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

> TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

Funny they were not able to test it, then.

Nik Coughlin

news:h2rsri$5jp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <h2rpn7$g60$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:h2rmt7$26s$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not
>>> faulty,
>>> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
>>> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
>>> at least one of the following things:
>>>
>>> * further delays to the release schedule
>>> * further QA problems
>>>
>>> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

>> TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

> Funny they were not able to test it, then.

Because the hardware doesn't support it yet.

From the article that you linked to:

"no drives currently support the command in the Windows 7 Release Candidate.
Indilinx has pledged to add Windows 7-compliant TRIM support in a future
firmware update. Samsung has also promised TRIM support, but Intel has been
largely mum on the subject."

And from Wikipedia:

"TRIM has already been implemented in Windows 7 release candidate, but until
solid state drives are updated with firmware that can understand the
command, it will simply be ignored."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29

Bukkake Face

On Jul 6, 3:59*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <h2rpn7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>

> > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> >news:h2rmt7$26s$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
> >> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
> >> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
> >> at least one of the following things:

> >> * further delays to the release schedule
> >> * further QA problems

> >> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

> > TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

> Funny they were not able to test it, then.- Hide quoted text -

Who is the clown? another Woger alias?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

geoff wrote:
> Bobs wrote:
>> BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE FIRMWARE YOU THICKO. CHRIST
>>
>> Larry, stop making a dick of yourself.

> Why change the habit of a lifetime ? Actually he's a great tonic - makes us
> all feel better about ourselves.
>
> geoff

True that, but I just wish he'd stop riling up the Windows fraternity
in here. Thankfully most in here are smart enough to realise Lawrence
is his own isolated tiny little subset of the Linux community, rather
than atypical of the rest of us...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Nathan Mercer

On Jul 6, 1:14*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Great on reads, can be problematic on writes. There is discussion of adding
> a "TRIM" command to these drives to tell them that the contents of certain
> blocks do not need to be preserved, thereby speeding up writes. But Windows
> 7 doesn't support that.
>
> <http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136>

In fact, Windows 7 does support TRIM on SSDs, SSDs are really
interesting for use on Servers and Hypervisors as well, so Windows
Server 2008 R2 supports SSD and TRIM as well

Cheers
Nathan