Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Authentication/Automatic redirection question

Authentication/Automatic redirection question

David Kleyman

Hello

I would like to find out if there is a way to SignOut() the user and
redirect the browser back to login page after time out period expired

I've added these settings to my web.config file but they don't seem to take
any effect

<authentication mode="Forms">

<forms name="frmLogin.aspx" loginUrl="/frmLogout.aspx?timeout=1" timeout="1"
slidingExpiration="true" requireSSL = "false"></forms>

</authentication>

I know that there is a "refresh" metatag that I can use like this one

but that refreshes the page no matter if the users actively typing something
into the textboxes on the page or if they are idle.

Is there something I can do to accomplish this?

Thank you

David

Michael

It'll have to be done on the client side, because there is no way you can
control their browser like that on the server side, unless you handle this
through page transitions.

You should be able to write some javascript that runs the timer (which would
be a stored time in the system), then for the page any
onClick/onMouseOver/etc on controls would reset this timer (put the current
time). If the timer exceeds what you want, you change the page on them.

You'd have to have a javascript function running in the background the whole
time, don't know what that would do as far as client performance, and they
may not like having their page redirected because they read over the form
real well but didn't move the mouse or hit a key.

"David Kleyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I would like to find out if there is a way to SignOut() the user and
> redirect the browser back to login page after time out period expired
>
> I've added these settings to my web.config file but they don't seem to

take
> any effect
>
> <authentication mode="Forms">
>
> <forms name="frmLogin.aspx" loginUrl="/frmLogout.aspx?timeout=1"

timeout="1"
> slidingExpiration="true" requireSSL = "false"></forms>
>
> </authentication>
>
> I know that there is a "refresh" metatag that I can use like this one

> but that refreshes the page no matter if the users actively typing

something
> into the textboxes on the page or if they are idle.
>
> Is there something I can do to accomplish this?
>
> Thank you
>
> David

George Durzi

David,
If a user's forms authentication cookie has expired, the next time they try
to access a protected resource, they will be signed out and automatically
taken to the login page. Does that help?

"David Kleyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I would like to find out if there is a way to SignOut() the user and
> redirect the browser back to login page after time out period expired
>
> I've added these settings to my web.config file but they don't seem to

take
> any effect
>
> <authentication mode="Forms">
>
> <forms name="frmLogin.aspx" loginUrl="/frmLogout.aspx?timeout=1"

timeout="1"
> slidingExpiration="true" requireSSL = "false"></forms>
>
> </authentication>
>
> I know that there is a "refresh" metatag that I can use like this one

> but that refreshes the page no matter if the users actively typing

something
> into the textboxes on the page or if they are idle.
>
> Is there something I can do to accomplish this?
>
> Thank you
>
> David

David Kleyman

Not really

I need page to be redirected automatically after timeout expires

Also
what's the difference between using Response.redirect("page.aspx") and
Server.transfer("page.aspx")?
if I use Server.transfer request does not stay authenticated between the
page navigations
Request.IsAuthenticated returns false on the next page

Thank you

David

David
"George Durzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David,
> If a user's forms authentication cookie has expired, the next time they

try
> to access a protected resource, they will be signed out and automatically
> taken to the login page. Does that help?
>
> "David Kleyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > I would like to find out if there is a way to SignOut() the user and
> > redirect the browser back to login page after time out period expired
> >
> > I've added these settings to my web.config file but they don't seem to

> take
> > any effect
> >
> > <authentication mode="Forms">
> >
> > <forms name="frmLogin.aspx" loginUrl="/frmLogout.aspx?timeout=1"

> timeout="1"
> > slidingExpiration="true" requireSSL = "false"></forms>
> >
> > </authentication>
> >
> > I know that there is a "refresh" metatag that I can use like this one

> > but that refreshes the page no matter if the users actively typing

> something
> > into the textboxes on the page or if they are idle.
> >
> > Is there something I can do to accomplish this?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > David

Redirection Question Disco Octopus HTML 2 04-28-2005 08:26 PM
Tough redirection question Dot net work ASP .Net 4 04-12-2004 02:02 PM
Redirection question Code Monkee HTML 6 12-17-2003 04:45 PM
Re: ouput redirection..a newbie question Jp Calderone Python 2 12-15-2003 08:27 PM
Cisco PIX Port Redirection Question staalejg Cisco 0 07-17-2003 09:15 PM

Advertisments