Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > conflict

conflict

tomikald

windows xp sp3

connect to internnet with laptop wifi through a local hotspot. (hp pavilion
dv1000)

set up linksys wireless router network to connect to wireless printer.
connect to linksys wireless network via ethernet cable.

once i connect ethernet cable to laptop and try to connect to the internet i
get,
"windows cannot connect to the internet".

on this page i also get an option to have windows diagnose problem. once i
run the diagnose problem option it sometimes connects or gives me the
following message.
"windows cannot connect to the internet using http, https or ftp. this
is probably
caused by firewall settings on this computer. check the firewall
settings for the
http port (80) htttps port (443) and ftp port (21)."

usually even with this message i am connected to the internet.

is there something i can do to avoid this conflict? so i can connect without
running diagnose problem helper.

thanks

mikald

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
I am not clear about how your Network's topology works.
If your Internet access comes from a free Hot Spot to your Wireless
Computer, and want to connect the rest of your Network to the Internet.
The Host computer has to be configured with Windows ICS. Any additional
Router used for additional Wireless has to be configured as an Access Point
with a switch, and be connected through a regular port to a second Network
card on the Host Computer.
Windows ICS here, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
Wireless Router as an Access point here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)