Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista, ripping, mp3's and Samsung U5 player...

Vista, ripping, mp3's and Samsung U5 player...

攸hw不f

So here I am...the family "IT" guy...linux d00d...and my nephew wants to save
his new cd's to a Samsung U5 mp3 player...so he tries it with me mums Vista
lappy...no dice. I dont use Vista, so Im no help.

Any advice? The poor sod is feckin heartbroke.
TIA

-James Madison

chuckcar

攸hw不f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h2oig9$h6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> So here I am...the family "IT" guy...linux d00d...and my nephew wants to
> save his new cd's to a Samsung U5 mp3 player...so he tries it with me
> mums Vista lappy...no dice. I dont use Vista, so Im no help.
>
> Any advice? The poor sod is feckin heartbroke.
> TIA
>

> --
> "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the
> people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by
> violent and sudden usurpations.... The means of defense against foreign
> danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
> -James Madison

Bring them over to your linux machine, install transcode, translate them
from CDDA to mp3 there (the mp3's shouldn't have *any* problems fitting
naturally, don't try to copy the tracks of course - still 650-700 meg per
disk - 10-20 songs). then burn the mp3 files to CDs in linux. If you're
*really* good, you could even make a script that would do all on the fly,
ejecting and asking for the next CD to fill when ones full. You'd need two
CD/DVD drives - one a writer to do that of course. As for windoze, you'd
have to get some time restricted shareware piece of crap off the web which
will expire inside of a month or buy something.

That's *why* you run linux isn't it? it does everything well and for free.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Aardvark Sucubus Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>> 攸hw不f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:h2oig9$h6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> So here I am...the family "IT" guy...linux d00d...and my nephew wants
>>> to save his new cd's to a Samsung U5 mp3 player...so he tries it with
>>> me mums Vista lappy...no dice. I dont use Vista, so Im no help.
>>>
>>> Any advice? The poor sod is feckin heartbroke.
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of
>>> the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than
>>> by violent and sudden usurpations.... The means of defense against
>>> foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at
>>> home." -James Madison
>>>

>> Bring them over to your linux machine, install transcode, translate
>> them from CDDA to mp3 there (the mp3's shouldn't have *any* problems
>> fitting naturally, don't try to copy the tracks of course - still
>> 650-700 meg per disk - 10-20 songs). then burn the mp3 files to CDs in
>> linux. If you're *really* good, you could even make a script that would
>> do all on the fly, ejecting and asking for the next CD to fill when
>> ones full. You'd need two CD/DVD drives - one a writer to do that of
>> course. As for windoze, you'd have to get some time restricted
>> shareware piece of crap off the web which will expire inside of a month
>> or buy something.
>>
>> That's *why* you run linux isn't it? it does everything well and for
>> free.
>>

> He doesn't have the savvy or he wouldn't even being asking what to do,
> Linux or not.

Of course he would. There's over 5,000 different apps being developed for
linux at any given time. Nobody can know what all's available. *I* have no
idea of what news clients run on linux for instance, and I use usenet
every day. Look for yourself, click "project by tag" on the top of the
page below and give up when you run out of time or branches off of that.

http://freshmeat.net/

You won't *have* the time.

For the OP, this is also where you can find where to *get* transcode
naturally. That's the whole point of this site. just type transcode
in the search box at the tope and it will pop it up along with all
the add-ons for it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

攸hw不f

fchuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<Xns9C3EC9A5CEA84chucknilcar@127.0.0.1>:

>攸hw不f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:h2oig9$h6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> So here I am...the family "IT" guy...linux d00d...and my nephew

wants to
>> save his new cd's to a Samsung U5 mp3 player...so he tries it with

me
>> mums Vista lappy...no dice. I dont use Vista, so Im no help.
>>
>> Any advice? The poor sod is feckin heartbroke.
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of

the
>> people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by
>> violent and sudden usurpations.... The means of defense against

foreign
>> danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
>> -James Madison
>>

>Bring them over to your linux machine, install transcode, translate

them
>from CDDA to mp3 there (the mp3's shouldn't have *any* problems

fitting
>naturally, don't try to copy the tracks of course - still 650-700 meg

per
>disk - 10-20 songs). then burn the mp3 files to CDs in linux. If

you're
>*really* good, you could even make a script that would do all on the

fly,
>ejecting and asking for the next CD to fill when ones full. You'd need

two
>CD/DVD drives - one a writer to do that of course. As for windoze,

you'd
>have to get some time restricted shareware piece of crap off the web

which
>will expire inside of a month or buy something.

On the Samsung website theres a place to DL the software that comes
with the player and links to M$ telling how to use Media Player 10 to
do it.

>That's *why* you run linux isn't it? it does everything well and for

free.

I run BeOS now and dont do any of the media **** aside from youtube
video watching and streaming music...the usb stack in BeOS is shaky to
say the least. This w98 box wont see his usb stick without drivers and
Samsung didnt write any for w98.
He's ****ed and I'm particularly bothered by it
Next time he should wise the **** up about compatible devices, eh?