Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New messgae

New messgae

Jack Spratt

Been a vista user for 18-24 months.
Just now out of the blue I get a ballon tip in the system tray that I have
never come across before.
Windows is telling me I have a problem yet I never noticed! Being a video
problem you'd think I would have.
Is this a new feature via Windows update or something that's always been
there but never felt the need to show it's face?
The alert I mean not the problem...

------
Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
Locale ID: 5129

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20090703-2055.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a
copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 8484D510
BCP2: 8BE18400
BCP3: 0000000F
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 256_1
-----

I just clicked ok and carried on as I was so didn't read the txt/xml.

Jack Spratt

"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a4efe07$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack Spratt wrote:
>> Been a vista user for 18-24 months.
>> Just now out of the blue I get a ballon tip in the system tray that I
>> have never come across before.
>> Windows is telling me I have a problem yet I never noticed! Being a video
>> problem you'd think I would have.
>> Is this a new feature via Windows update or something that's always been
>> there but never felt the need to show it's face?
>> The alert I mean not the problem...
>>
>> ------
>> Description
>> A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working
>> correctly.
>>
>> Problem signature
>> Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
>> OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
>> Locale ID: 5129
>>
>> Files that help describe the problem
>> WD-20090703-2055.dmp
>> sysdata.xml
>> Version.txt
>>
>> View a temporary copy of these files
>> Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening
>> a copy of the files could harm your computer.
>>
>> Extra information about the problem
>> BCCode: 117
>> BCP1: 8484D510
>> BCP2: 8BE18400
>> BCP3: 0000000F
>> BCP4: 00000000
>> OS Version: 6_0_6002
>> Service Pack: 2_0
>> Product: 256_1
>> -----
>>
>> I just clicked ok and carried on as I was so didn't read the txt/xml.
>>

> Did your screen flicker, temp go to black or whatever before this popped
> up? Unlike XP, Vista will attempt to recover from a crashed driver hence
> the message.
>
> It it keeps happening I'd update your video card driver.
>
> --
> What do Michael Jackson and Santa Claus have in common?
>
> They both leave little boys' rooms with an empty sack

Nope, not a thing. Would be none the wiser had it not been for this
previously unseen bubble.
No hardware changes on this 1.5-2yr old Vista box since the day it was
born - hence me wondering if this was a new "feature"

Only thing I was doing around the time which may have thrown it a curve ball
was switching between host and guest on Virtual PC 2007 (Vista/Windows 2.3k)

Jack Spratt

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack Spratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h2n2fk$g8a$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4a4efe07$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Did your screen flicker, temp go to black or whatever before this popped
>>> up? Unlike XP, Vista will attempt to recover from a crashed driver hence
>>> the message.
>>>
>>> It it keeps happening I'd update your video card driver.
>>>
>>> --
>>> What do Michael Jackson and Santa Claus have in common?
>>>
>>> They both leave little boys' rooms with an empty sack

>> Nope, not a thing. Would be none the wiser had it not been for this
>> previously unseen bubble.
>> No hardware changes on this 1.5-2yr old Vista box since the day it was
>> born - hence me wondering if this was a new "feature"
>>
>> Only thing I was doing around the time which may have thrown it a curve
>> ball was switching between host and guest on Virtual PC 2007
>> (Vista/Windows 2.3k)
>>

> Did you have a look at the details in the event viewer?
>
> Just type 'event' into the search box at the bottom of the start menu.
>
> Look at the details of the event.

Didn't look anywhere (but very capable of checking the norm places), was
more the messenger than the message I was asking after

Jack Spratt

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a4fee9c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack Spratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h2n537$29j$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Did you have a look at the details in the event viewer?
>>>
>>> Just type 'event' into the search box at the bottom of the start menu.
>>>
>>> Look at the details of the event.
>>>

>> Didn't look anywhere (but very capable of checking the norm places), was
>> more the messenger than the message I was asking after

> Ah right,
>
> Well short answer, Vista has always had the taskbar popup for certain
> event viewer messages. It was a big thing in the early days with the
> infamous nvidia driver issues where games would exit to the desktop and
> there would be a small balloon from the taskbar showing the basic details.
>
> I would investigate it further if I was you.

Haven't seen hide nor hair since.
Perhaps it was a symptom of switching between the host/guest (Vista/Win2.3k)
environments using Virtual PC and "one of those things"
Will dig deeper if it comes back a second time. Thanks.