Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox 3.5 not starting

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox 3.5 not starting

 
 
Jordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2009
Already posted at mozilla.support.firefox.

On Win2k...

Upgraded to 3.5 this morning using the menu item "Check for
updates." After it finished it refused to start, even in
safe mode. I get...

Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your
tabs and windows when it starts. Unfortunately the crash
reporter is unable to submit a crash report. Details: The
application did not leave a crash dump file.

Reboot didn't help. Uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting
and starting in safe mode didn't work either.

--
Jordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2009
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 13:39:00 -0800, Shel-hed wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:00 -0700, Jordon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Already posted at mozilla.support.firefox.
>>
>>On Win2k...
>>
>>Upgraded to 3.5 this morning using the menu item "Check for updates."
>>After it finished it refused to start, even in safe mode. I get...
>>
>>Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and
>>windows when it starts. Unfortunately the crash reporter is unable to
>>submit a crash report. Details: The application did not leave a crash
>>dump file.
>>
>>Reboot didn't help. Uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting and starting
>>in safe mode didn't work either.

>
> Just a guess,
> FF and Mozilla have problems with history. When you uninstalled, it
> probably still left a bunch of files behind. Delete the history file
> and all of the cache files.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_..._places.sqlite
>
> If you don't have your bookmarks backed up, or there is no bookmarks.htm
> file in that folder (that's the old FF-Moz bookmarks file), rename the
> file instead to places.sqliteold


I think you might need to fix your system clock. The time is at present
22.00 BST and yet my newsreader tells me it was sent at 22.39 BST.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shel-hed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2009
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:00 -0700, Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Already posted at mozilla.support.firefox.
>
>On Win2k...
>
>Upgraded to 3.5 this morning using the menu item "Check for
>updates." After it finished it refused to start, even in
>safe mode. I get...
>
>Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your
>tabs and windows when it starts. Unfortunately the crash
>reporter is unable to submit a crash report. Details: The
>application did not leave a crash dump file.
>
>Reboot didn't help. Uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting
>and starting in safe mode didn't work either.


Just a guess,
FF and Mozilla have problems with history. When you uninstalled, it probably
still left a bunch of files behind. Delete the history file and all of the
cache files.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_..._places.sqlite

If you don't have your bookmarks backed up, or there is no bookmarks.htm file in
that folder (that's the old FF-Moz bookmarks file), rename the file instead to
places.sqliteold

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2009
Shel-hed wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:00 -0700, Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Already posted at mozilla.support.firefox.
>>
>> On Win2k...
>>
>> Upgraded to 3.5 this morning using the menu item "Check for
>> updates." After it finished it refused to start, even in
>> safe mode. I get...
>>
>> Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your
>> tabs and windows when it starts. Unfortunately the crash
>> reporter is unable to submit a crash report. Details: The
>> application did not leave a crash dump file.
>>
>> Reboot didn't help. Uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting
>> and starting in safe mode didn't work either.

>
> Just a guess,
> FF and Mozilla have problems with history. When you uninstalled, it probably
> still left a bunch of files behind. Delete the history file and all of the
> cache files.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_..._places.sqlite
>
> If you don't have your bookmarks backed up, or there is no bookmarks.htm file in
> that folder (that's the old FF-Moz bookmarks file), rename the file instead to
> places.sqliteold


I tried uninstalling FF and moving bookmarks.htm and places.sqlite to
my desktop. After reinstalling I got the same error.

--
Jordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2009
Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8mu3m.6597$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 13:39:00 -0800, Shel-hed wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:00 -0700, Jordon
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Already posted at mozilla.support.firefox.
>>>
>>>On Win2k...
>>>
>>>Upgraded to 3.5 this morning using the menu item "Check for updates."
>>>After it finished it refused to start, even in safe mode. I get...
>>>
>>>Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and
>>>windows when it starts. Unfortunately the crash reporter is unable to
>>>submit a crash report. Details: The application did not leave a crash
>>>dump file.
>>>
>>>Reboot didn't help. Uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting and starting
>>>in safe mode didn't work either.

>>
>> Just a guess,
>> FF and Mozilla have problems with history. When you uninstalled, it
>> probably still left a bunch of files behind. Delete the history file
>> and all of the cache files.
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_..._places.sqlite
>>
>> If you don't have your bookmarks backed up, or there is no
>> bookmarks.htm file in that folder (that's the old FF-Moz bookmarks
>> file), rename the file instead to places.sqliteold

>
> I think you might need to fix your system clock. The time is at present
> 22.00 BST and yet my newsreader tells me it was sent at 22.39 BST.


That would most likely be eternal september's clock.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shel-hed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2009
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 21:03:00 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think you might need to fix your system clock. The time is at present
>22.00 BST and yet my newsreader tells me it was sent at 22.39 BST.


I forgot to set "adjust for daylight savings" back on after I patched for that
stupid change. Hopefully that fixed it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shel-hed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2009
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:05:42 -0700, Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I tried uninstalling FF and moving bookmarks.htm and places.sqlite to
>my desktop. After reinstalling I got the same error.


Did you have any addons installed? Sometimes they can muck things up.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009
Shel-hed wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:05:42 -0700, Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I tried uninstalling FF and moving bookmarks.htm and places.sqlite to
>> my desktop. After reinstalling I got the same error.

>
> Did you have any addons installed? Sometimes they can muck things up.


Several, but doesn't starting in safe mode bypass all of them?

--
Jordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shel-hed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 07:25:51 -0700, Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>Several, but doesn't starting in safe mode bypass all of them?


Ahh. I just assumed Windows safe mode.
I guess your fooked. Back up your bookmarks, uninstall, and manually delete all
Mozilla FF directories. Note that there is more than one location to delete.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR STARTING AND MAINTAINING...3 ESSENTIAL TOOLSFOR STARTING AND MAINTAINING...3 ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR STARTING ANDMAINTAINING... Oanh Bui C++ 0 04-27-2009 12:51 PM
3 ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR STARTING AND MAINTAINING...3 ESSENTIAL TOOLSFOR STARTING AND MAINTAINING...3 ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR STARTING ANDMAINTAINING... Oanh Bui C Programming 0 04-27-2009 12:51 PM
3 ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR STARTING AND MAINTAINING...3 ESSENTIAL TOOLSFOR STARTING AND MAINTAINING...3 ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR STARTING ANDMAINTAINING... Oanh Bui Python 0 04-27-2009 12:46 PM
Firefox Does Not Return to Starting Point After Visiting a Link on MSN.com Jack Gillis Computer Support 8 09-11-2007 04:28 AM
Firefox not starting David R. Birch Firefox 8 07-08-2007 12:35 AM



Advertisments