Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Image width

Image width

Neredbojias

On 02 Jul 2009, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt (AT)gmail(DOT)com> wrote in message
> news:4a4d9a67$0$20620$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Sorry, I thought for a moment that the "Just setting the width to
>> 60px and not setting the height" was his suggestion for a solution.
>> Proportional resized:
>> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage.htm

> What editor are you using? The HTML and CSS resized images look
> _nicer_ in Firefox than the editor resized one

And in ie8 and in Opera, incl. 9.80 (10 beta), and in Safari. Image
resizing, esp. small images resized at lesser pencentages, is fine as
performed in modern browsers.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Nico Schuyt

"Ben C" wrote:
> On 2009-07-03, Nico Schuyt <nschuyt> wrote:
>> "dorayme" wrote

> [...]
>> Sorry, I thought for a moment that the "Just setting the width to 60px
>> and
>> not setting the height" was his suggestion for a solution.

> You may have missed the point: if you just set the width and leave the
> height as auto, according to CSS specs the browser maintains the aspect
> ratio automatically for you.

I just shouldn't join in the discussion at two O'clock in the morning

The quality of rescaling in (some) modern browser is impressive!

--
Nico

dorayme

In article <4a4dcba2$0$82583$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt (AT)gmail(DOT)com> wrote:

> "Ben C" wrote:
> > On 2009-07-03, Nico Schuyt <nschuyt> wrote:
> >> "dorayme" wrote

> > [...]
> >> Sorry, I thought for a moment that the "Just setting the width to 60px
> >> and
> >> not setting the height" was his suggestion for a solution.

> > You may have missed the point: if you just set the width and leave the
> > height as auto, according to CSS specs the browser maintains the aspect
> > ratio automatically for you.

> I just shouldn't join in the discussion at two O'clock in the morning
>
> The quality of rescaling in (some) modern browser is impressive!

The quality of downsizing especially is good enough for small
differences (especially like 80 to 60px). Your screenshot tells a
dismaying story about IE6 (and perhaps other IEs?). A perfectly good
technique of resizing (down) in the HTML (used in moderation) faces this
show stopper of IE!

A curiosity: in Mac Opera, between 330% and 340% zoom, the CSS resized
triple Vs are very noticeably bigger than the HTML resized one!

--
dorayme