Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cloning Gone Bad

Cloning Gone Bad

Jeff Strickland

My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot so
that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy with
life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I could do
what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts of things.

So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
only needs space for programs to run.

I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.

My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive, then
clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the result of the
40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did not.

Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that I
have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.

Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?

My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a new
drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs that
are different sizes?

GGGG

Jeff,

I'll not get into why not working ... to make it work, each of the disk
makers has a utility: ( usually written by Ontrack for the disk maker,
Seagate, Western Digital etc)
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/h...skmanager.aspx
Like this :
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard
( the TARGET drive company is the manufacturer utility you want to use)
You put both drives in one box - boot the floppy/cd
It will show a map of disks.
It will see Destination ( make doesn't matter)
and the TARGET disk ( make DOES matter)
You then choose options - copy starts and when done you have a 40gb bootable
disk with all the data from old drive.

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot
> so that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy
> with life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I could
> do what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts of
> things.
>
> So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
> has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
> only needs space for programs to run.
>
> I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.
>
> My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive,
> then clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the result
> of the 40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did not.
>
> Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that
> I have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
> instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.
>
> Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
> version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?
>
> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
> new drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
> that are different sizes?

Jeff Strickland

"GGGG" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:h2it4n$8t0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Jeff,
>
> I'll not get into why not working ... to make it work, each of the disk
> makers has a utility: ( usually written by Ontrack for the disk maker,
> Seagate, Western Digital etc)
> http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/h...skmanager.aspx
> Like this :
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard
> ( the TARGET drive company is the manufacturer utility you want to use)
> You put both drives in one box - boot the floppy/cd
> It will show a map of disks.
> It will see Destination ( make doesn't matter)
> and the TARGET disk ( make DOES matter)
> You then choose options - copy starts and when done you have a 40gb
> bootable disk with all the data from old drive.

I'm not sure I have the CD/floppy for the original drive, so I will need to
use some other package. The CD that I do have accomplished the task of
moving files from one drive to the other, but the boot sector information --
or some sort of OS file -- did not copy, and the 40G drive is not bootable.

As I said earlier, I copied over my network instead of mounting both drives
in the same machine and setting the destination drive as a slave. Is it
possible that this is the source of my problems -- if I mount both drives in
the same box and run the copy operation -- ghost or image -- from the
current bootable drive, the result will be a larger drive that I can then
set as the Master and use it from now on?

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot
>> so that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy
>> with life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I
>> could do what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts
>> of things.
>>
>> So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
>> has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
>> only needs space for programs to run.
>>
>> I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.
>>
>> My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive,
>> then clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the
>> result of the 40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did
>> not.
>>
>> Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that
>> I have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
>> instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.
>>
>> Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
>> version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?
>>
>> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
>> new drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
>> that are different sizes?

- Bobb -

comments inline

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2j6n8$sa4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> I want to clone my wife's HDD
>>> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
>>> 40G drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
>>> that are different sizes?

> "Bobb" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
> news:h2it4n$8t0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Jeff,
>>
>> I'll not get into why not working ... to make it work, each of the disk
>> makers has a utility: ( usually written by Ontrack for the disk maker,
>> Seagate, Western Digital etc)
>> http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/h...skmanager.aspx
>> Like this :
>> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard
>> ( the TARGET drive company is the manufacturer utility you want to use)
>> You put both drives in one box - make boot media from that app . Now boot
>> THAT floppy/cd
>> It will show a map of disks.
>> It will see SOURCE ( make doesn't matter)
>> and the Destination /TARGET disk ( make DOES matter)
>> You then choose options - copy starts and when done you have a 40gb
>> bootable disk with all the data from old drive.
>>

> I'm not sure I have the CD/floppy for the original drive, so I will need
> to use some other package.

Sorry, when I said :
"You put both drives in one box - boot the floppy/cd", I meant the floppy
or CD you create via the download.

Example: your PC has a SEAGATE drive, click link
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard

See "If you are upgrading and want to migrate your data from the old drive
to the new drive we provide DiscWizard as an option..." click " Learn more"
and you get this PDF

http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/dw_ug.en.pdf
page 16
The Tools menu contains the following items:

.. Create Bootable Media - runs the bootable media creation procedure

.. Clone Disc - copies the data from one drive to another

.. Add New Disc - partitions and formats a new drive as additional storage

Running CLONE will take the 20gb info and put onto 40gb drive.
( Think of it - you just bought THIS drive and THIS company needs you to
able to use it - so , they give you this program to migrate - but it's
licensed only for THEIR disks)

open YOUR PC ( or go to drive details)
Look at the disk - who made it ?
Go to THAT website and download that company's program to migrate.
Now, put both drives in wife's PC.
Boot floppy/CD ( made from THAT DOWNLOAD) on wife's PC - run app.

> The CD that I do have accomplished the task of moving files from one drive
> to the other, but the boot sector information -- or some sort of OS
> file -- did not copy, and the 40G drive is not bootable.

WITH BOTH DRIVES in same PC run that disk and choose clone.

> As I said earlier, I copied over my network instead of mounting both
> drives in the same machine and setting the destination drive as a slave.
> Is it possible that this is the source of my problems -- if I mount both
> drives in the same box and run the copy operation -- ghost or image --
> from the current bootable drive, the result will be a larger drive that I
> can then set as the Master and use it from now on?

With both PC's up and running , you're not gonna copy boot info.

Jeff Strickland

Okay, I wenty out and bought Ghost14.0.

I backed up the existing 20G drive - set a Restore Point - to a network
location, and can set up future back ups to the same place. Easy stuff ...

Do I follow that with the same process, but to the new 40G drive instead of
the network, then simply boot to it?

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot
> so that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy
> with life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I could
> do what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts of
> things.
>
> So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
> has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
> only needs space for programs to run.
>
> I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.
>
> My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive,
> then clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the result
> of the 40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did not.
>
> Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that
> I have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
> instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.
>
> Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
> version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?
>
> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
> new drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
> that are different sizes?

Jeff Strickland

I backed up to a network location -- a work group, actually. I can't see the
network wirelessly or with a CAT5 cable, so I can't restor to a blank HDD,
booting from the Norton Ghost CD.

I then backed up directly to the 40G drive, but I can't restore to the same
drive that the back up is on.

Now, I'm booting to the original drive, then restoring to the new drive. the
Progress Bar is moving very slowly. It's been several minutes, and Ghost is
still calculating the Remaining Time. There is one block filled on the
progress bar, and the cursor blinks from time to time. I'm waiting ...

I'm also going in to watch TV, and won't be back until later, tomorrow
morning if TV is boring.

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2m9hc$qal$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Okay, I wenty out and bought Ghost14.0.
>
> I backed up the existing 20G drive - set a Restore Point - to a network
> location, and can set up future back ups to the same place. Easy stuff ...
>
> Do I follow that with the same process, but to the new 40G drive instead
> of the network, then simply boot to it?
>

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot
>> so that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy
>> with life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I
>> could do what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts
>> of things.
>>
>> So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
>> has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
>> only needs space for programs to run.
>>
>> I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.
>>
>> My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive,
>> then clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the
>> result of the 40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did
>> not.
>>
>> Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that
>> I have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
>> instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.
>>
>> Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
>> version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?
>>
>> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
>> new drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
>> that are different sizes?

Gemini-Aquarius7

Visit gemini-aquarius7.com - you will find ( Wonderlads - selling EDTA (Oral
Chelation & a Large well selected Herbs Products)

- (CloudNine Selling an eccellent Anti-Aging Products) - Gemini-Aquarius7
Amazon Store Associate.

Tiger Direct - A Canadian Company seeling Electronics, and much more, you
will like this Affiliate.

Download movies from Movies-all-Free - Watch on your PC LiveTv4You

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot
> so that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy
> with life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I could
> do what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts of
> things.
>
> So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
> has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
> only needs space for programs to run.
>
> I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.
>
> My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive,
> then clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the result
> of the 40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did not.
>
> Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that
> I have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
> instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.
>
> Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
> version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?
>
> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
> new drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
> that are different sizes?

Jeff Strickland

The 20G drive was formatted to FAT32, the 40G drive is NTFS.

The 40G drive is reported as NTFS, but I have apparently f---ed up the
Registry very badly and am now doing an entirely new install of XP Pro onto
my 40G drive. XP Setup is saying the partition is FAT32.

Did I error in Ghosting from a FAT32 environment onto an NTFS HDD?

I Ghosted after I hosed the Registry instead of before, so the Recovered OS
was hosed as a result. Crap!

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2ikc9$qu2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> My wife has a 20G HDD that is filled, I have a 40G HDD that I use to boot
> so that I can attempt to recover data from other HDDs that are not happy
> with life. I don't need a 40G for the purposes I'm using mine for, I could
> do what I want with 20G and have loads of free space for all sorts of
> things.
>
> So, I want to clone my wife's HDD to mine, put mine in her machine so she
> has 40G of space -- she's already got external drives for storage, so she
> only needs space for programs to run.
>
> I attempted to clone or image or something, and the attempt failed.
>
> My process was to sit at my machine, set her machine as a shared drive,
> then clone it over my network to my 40G drive, then I installed the result
> of the 40G drive into her machine and hoped it would boot. It did not.
>
> Today, I'm reading more on HDD cloning, and the thought occurs to me that
> I have to sit at her machine and initiate the copying (cloning) process,
> instead of initiate from a remote site over the network.
>
> Is this where I am going wrong? I found XXClone, which has a freeware
> version that I wanted to try, is it suitable for what I want to do?
>
> My goal is to remove the current HDD in my wife's machine and plug in a
> new drive, and not have to reinstall everything. Can I do this with HDDs
> that are different sizes?

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> The 20G drive was formatted to FAT32, the 40G drive is NTFS.
>
> The 40G drive is reported as NTFS, but I have apparently f---ed up the
> Registry very badly and am now doing an entirely new install of XP Pro
> onto my 40G drive. XP Setup is saying the partition is FAT32.

XP wont let you create a FAT32 partition greater than 32Gb.
DOS 6.2 will let you create a FAT32 partition upto 138Gb.

> Did I error in Ghosting from a FAT32 environment onto an NTFS HDD?

Depending upon how you created the ghost image, the target will have the
same format and size as the source.

> I Ghosted after I hosed the Registry instead of before, so the
> Recovered OS was hosed as a result. Crap!

All I can offer is Commiserations ! Remember the mistakes you made and
try not to repeat them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h2qrmo$sbl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> The 20G drive was formatted to FAT32, the 40G drive is NTFS.
>>>
>>> The 40G drive is reported as NTFS, but I have apparently f---ed up
>>> the Registry very badly and am now doing an entirely new install of
>>> XP Pro onto my 40G drive. XP Setup is saying the partition is FAT32.

>> XP wont let you create a FAT32 partition greater than 32Gb.
>> DOS 6.2 will let you create a FAT32 partition upto 138Gb.

XP gave you the choice of leaving the existing FAT32 and using it or
formatting it as NTFS. I was simply pointing out that you can have a
FAT32 partition if you wanted by using DOS 6.2 to do it.

> I did not create a FAT32 on the 40G drive, I created an NTFS.
>

>>> Did I error in Ghosting from a FAT32 environment onto an NTFS HDD?

>> Depending upon how you created the ghost image, the target will have
>> the same format and size as the source.
>>

> I don't know what that means.

If you create a partition image of the existing drive (source) then the
image when written to the new drive (target) will be the same size and
format as the source.

If you create a spindle image of the existing drive then the image when
written to the new drive will be the same size and format as the
existing drive (source).

> I had an existing drive that was full or
> corrupted -- I assumed full because it said so and I could not find
> any crap that did not look like reasonably normal stuff. I'm willing
> to live with Full, so I pulled out an old drive with more capacity so
> Full would become Half Full.

You would have had to either extend the partition or create a new
partition in the remaining space.

> It turns out, the XP install must have been corrupted because I have
> XP Pro and Office '03 reloaded, and the space taken is less than 5G.

Unfortunately XP continuously records information and data about the
machine usage and squirrels it away in all sorts of places, many that
the user does not have common access to.

This data can amount to many Gb. I've seen machines with more than 25Gb
of stored data. Yes it can and does bring machines to their knees as
you have discovered.

I hope you backed up any data you didn't want to loose before you
screwed the registry.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.