Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > client-side xslt with chunking?

client-side xslt with chunking?

Tim Arnold

Hi,
I would have thought it was impossible to use client-side (browser) xslt
rendering with chunking, but this thread
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives.../msg00002.html
makes me wonder.

I've got a docbook document that specifies
<?xml-stylesheet href="xhtml/docbook.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>

and that renders just fine in firefox (2.0.0.10). But if I change it to
chunk.xsl I get this message in the browser:
Error during XSLT transformation: XSLT transformation was terminated by
<xsl:message>.

Has anyone had experience or ideas on working with chunking and browser-side
xslt?

thanks,
--Tim Arnold

Martin Honnen

Tim Arnold wrote:
> Hi,
> I would have thought it was impossible to use client-side (browser) xslt
> rendering with chunking, but this thread
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives.../msg00002.html
> makes me wonder.
>
> I've got a docbook document that specifies
> <?xml-stylesheet href="xhtml/docbook.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
>
> and that renders just fine in firefox (2.0.0.10). But if I change it to
> chunk.xsl I get this message in the browser:
> Error during XSLT transformation: XSLT transformation was terminated by
> <xsl:message>.

Note that Firefox 2.0 is quite old, it does not even support
exsl:node-set, you need at least 3.0 for that.

> Has anyone had experience or ideas on working with chunking and browser-side
> xslt?

I am not familiar with docbook stylesheet and what exactly chunking is
in that environment but that an example for the solution mentioned in
the mailing list post is here:
http://home.arcor.de/martin.honnen/x...2009010701.xml
The stylesheet produces a HTML document with script where the script
then takes care of hiding all tbodies except one.

--

Martin Honnen
http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/