Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > London Stock Exchange--Microsoft's ex-Poster Child

London Stock Exchange--Microsoft's ex-Poster Child

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I can remember Microsoft's big ad campaign trumpeting how the LSE had dumped
Unix to go for Windows. Half of the news websites I visited seemed to have
that ad popping up on them at some point.

Then there was that major crash they suffered last year. Microsoft was
strangely quiet about that.

Now it looks like the LSE wants to dump that Windows-based trading system
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/59A7846C896BEA95CC2575E5007D8F33>,
because it's just too expensive to keep running.

What will they replace it with, I wonder?

peterwn

On Jul 2, 1:07*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> Now it looks like the LSE wants to dump that Windows-based trading system
> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/59A7846C896BEA95CC2575E5007D...>,
> because it's just too expensive to keep running.
>
> What will they replace it with, I wonder?

Even if people prefer Windows / MS Office desktops the 'engine' behind
the whole thing is often a Linux server, since Linux has the 'grunt'
to get the job done safely and reliably and there are no SAL's to
purchase. So even if head counts of Linux machines seems small, the
real work handled by each machine is vastly greater. Not to mention
that any head count of Linux machines is very unreliable since there
are no licences to count up.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h2h18u$pmr$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I can remember Microsoft's big ad campaign trumpeting how the LSE had
> dumped Unix to go for Windows.

Actually, they specifically trashed Linux
<http://tipotheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/reliabletimes.jpg>.

Ahahahaha...