Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google's Adsense program

Google's Adsense program

Caulfield Man

Quoting from http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...oogle_privacy/

Google's targeted advertising program AdSense is even more intrusive
than the controversial Phorm and NebuAd systems. For example, Gmail
scans your personal communication for keywords - there is no opt-out,
and using a secure tunnel is no protection. More recently, Google has
stepped up the aggressiveness of its program by shifting the tracking
cookie used by AdSense from an opt-in to an opt-out system of consent,
where opting-out requires arcane knowledge on the part of the consumer.

Can someone please explain how this 'opt-out' works in practice?

Cheers

hwf

gangle <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile of<Md-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>:

>"Rgr" wrote
>> Caulfield Man wrote:
>> >
>> > Quoting from
>> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...oogle_privacy/
>> >
>> > Google's targeted advertising program AdSense is even more

intrusive
>> > than the controversial Phorm and NebuAd systems. For example,

Gmail
>> > scans your personal communication for keywords - there is no opt-

out,
>> > and using a secure tunnel is no protection. More recently, Google

has
>> > stepped up the aggressiveness of its program by shifting the

tracking
>> > cookie used by AdSense from an opt-in to an opt-out system of

consent,
>> > where opting-out requires arcane knowledge on the part of the

consumer.

>> > Can someone please explain how this 'opt-out' works in practice?

>> http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html

>It's a Catch 22 situation. Opting-out is cookies based, and requires
>allowing for double-click cookies, and, therefore, removing

doubleclick
>from one's Host file. Since THAT is not sensible, there is no real way
>to Opt-out.
>
>You can only see Major Major when he is not in. Catch 22.

So set up and use your own hosts file.
Mine is ginormous. I dont see any ads, ever.

Jus Sayin[tm]
^_^

Google - adsense John D. HTML 6 12-30-2012 11:40 PM
Web site hosted using ASP.Net .... And AdSense Faruk Malik ASP .Net 2 02-17-2005 12:15 AM
Tracking script for AdSense Nol HTML 0 10-23-2004 08:59 AM
Adsense Preview Tool: See what adsense shown on any URL Looking HTML 15 09-20-2004 10:49 PM
Google Announces Adsense Trevor HTML 5 06-26-2003 11:10 AM

Advertisments