Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Application Pools or Web Gardens

Application Pools or Web Gardens

GregStevensTX GregStevensTX is offline
Junior Member
Location: Dallas, TX

(Note: This is more a question about configuration than about coding. I hope that's ok.)

First, let me describe my understanding of two things, so you can tell me if my assumptions are wrong:

1) If I have only one application pool, but set it to have two worker processes (so it is a "web garden"), then if a request comes in while one worker process is busy then it will be able to "roll over" and be handled by the other worker process in the same pool.

2) If I create two application pools, each with one worker process, and assign them both to the same application / root URL, then if a request comes in while one worker process is busy then it will be able to "roll over" and be handled by the other worker process in the other pool.

OK, now if those are right, is there any difference between those two scenarios? I know that when you have multiple application pools you can configure them differently, but let's assume I want them configured the same way. It seems like in both cases I have two instances of w3wp.exe running that can't toss threads between eachother and can't share in-memory variables. So what's the difference?

Thanks for your help and insight....