Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photomatix & HDR

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Photomatix & HDR

 
 
Wayne R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2009
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):

>I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
>Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
>reasonable results.
>
>Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
>trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
>http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
>
>Any suggestions?


To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
orange bark and yellow trees...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2009
"Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
news:2009062907240450878-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom...
> On 2009-06-29 06:56:03 -0700, Wayne R. <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
>>
>>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
>>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
>>> reasonable results.
>>>
>>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
>>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>>
>> To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
>> it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
>> orange bark and yellow trees...

>
> Well, I have been working on it, and have managed to get a better balance.
> It was not taken in ideal lighting and was an experimental first attempt
> at HDR.
> With a little coaching, advice and tweeking this is where I got to;
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...2021_tmD1w.jpg
>
>



To me it looks less like an HDR than the prior ones. I like the way the
shadows of the clouds are reflected in the trees. Keep the good work coming.

--
Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wayne R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2009
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:24:04 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):

>On 2009-06-29 06:56:03 -0700, Wayne R. <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
>>
>>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
>>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
>>> reasonable results.
>>>
>>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
>>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>>
>> To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
>> it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
>> orange bark and yellow trees...

>
>Well, I have been working on it, and have managed to get a better
>balance. It was not taken in ideal lighting and was an experimental
>first attempt at HDR.
>With a little coaching, advice and tweeking this is where I got to;
>http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...2021_tmD1w.jpg


I like this one better too. Not being a westerner, though, I never
feel like my eyes are seeing mountains correctly in the first place,
the light's so different than where the air's thicker and has more
water in it.

Seriously, some of those old WWII color shots from Austria & Germany
or the photos in old Life (or Look - there was a Look, right?)
magazines would fit your first try's feel, I think.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Navas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2009
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:24:04 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in
<2009062907240450878-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom>:

>On 2009-06-29 06:56:03 -0700, Wayne R. <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
>>
>>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
>>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
>>> reasonable results.
>>>
>>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
>>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>>
>> To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
>> it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
>> orange bark and yellow trees...

>
>Well, I have been working on it, and have managed to get a better
>balance. It was not taken in ideal lighting and was an experimental
>first attempt at HDR.
>With a little coaching, advice and tweeking this is where I got to;
>http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...2021_tmD1w.jpg


To me the first image had a bit of an over-processed look to it, but
I prefer it to the second image, which looks a bit dull and dingy.
I'd personally shoot for something in the middle, adjusting different
parts of the image (sky, mountains, trees) differently.

--
Best regards,
John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Turco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009
"Wayne R." wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> Seriously, some of those old WWII color shots from Austria & Germany
> or the photos in old Life (or Look - there was a Look, right?)
> magazines would fit your first try's feel, I think.



Hello, Wayne:

There was, indeed, a "Look" rag, once upon a time.

Wikipedia - Look (American magazine)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_(American_magazine)>

"Look was a bi-weekly, general-interest magazine published in Des Moines,
Iowa from 1937 to 1971, with more of an emphasis on photographs than
articles. A large-size magazine of 11 by 14 inches, it was generally
considered the also-ran to Life magazine, which began publication only
months earlier and ended in 1972."


Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>
--
Paintings pain and pun
<http://laughatthepain.blogspot.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Photomatix & HDR (REDUX) tony cooper Digital Photography 7 06-30-2009 02:45 PM
Re: Photomatix & HDR D-Mac Digital Photography 4 06-30-2009 02:09 PM
Re: Photomatix & HDR Burt Johnson Digital Photography 4 06-29-2009 02:51 AM
Re: Photomatix & HDR (REDUX) John McWilliams Digital Photography 2 06-28-2009 05:45 PM
HDR (Photomatix) from the one photograph. Peter Jason Digital Photography 9 11-17-2007 04:37 PM



Advertisments