Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7: Upgrade or Clean Install?

Win7: Upgrade or Clean Install?

Mark H

An article written in 2006 for Vista may actually address the data transfer
"throttling" that I'm seeing:
(And, maybe this will help some others.)
If your connection from a Vista machine appears slow or hung, here are some
steps to isolate the cause:

a.. First, make sure that your firewall and router can support window
scaling. Some devices from Linksys, Cisco, NetApp, SonicWall, Netgear,
Checkpoint, D-Link were reported as having problems with window scaling.
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430) (especially, TCP High Performance
Test) provided by Microsoft to determine your gateway device's compliance.
b.. Second, check with the manufacturer if a firmware update has been
issued for your device that can fix the problem. Replace the problematic
device or update the firmware as suggested by the manufacturer. If the
router cannot be replaced or if it the device is remote (e.g., a firewall of
your ISP or corporation)
c.. Third, If the problem still persists, you can restrict autotuning by
running "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=restricted" from the
command prompt. We have found that restricted mode will often allow some of
the benefits of autotuning with a number of problematic devices.
d.. Lastly, if all else fails, in order to disable this feature, run
"netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled".
e.. (In order to reenable autotuning, run "netsh interface tcp set global
autotuninglevel=normal".)
Odd that the device would work in Vista and not in Win 7, but hey, it's a
direction to look!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
> Mine is a Realtek network chipset (not wireless) embedded in the mobo. So

it
> is not an exclusive wireless issue.
> Regarding download speeds the also depend on where you are downloading

from.
> Have you tried using a download manager?
> I use the old freeware flashget (www.flashget.com). Latest version dates
> back to 2007 but it works in Win 7 x64.
> This program makes several connections (up to 5) to the download site,

thus
> increasing the download speed. Handy program also for torrents.
> Carlos
> P.S.: Gotta shave and go to work now!
>
> "Mark H" wrote:
>
> > That's what I have. Good to know I'm not unique and I can disregard

IPv6.
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > I'll be looking into the slow transfer speeds this evening. Maybe a new
> > thread to focus the topic.
> >
> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Mark,
> > > In local area connection (adapter properties) I have:
> > > IPv4 connectivity: Connected to the Internet
> > > IPv6 connectivity: Without access to the Internet
> > > (translated from Spanish into English)
> > > Carlos

in

for

wireless

wanna

be a

seems

some

adapter

for

not

card.

for

sense.

have

method.

would

computer

point

even

severely

Neither

they

the

WHQL

Install

Mark H

"netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"
This had an amazing improvement on internet file transfers!
Went from 54 Kbps to 253 Kbps transfer speed.

"Mark H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eFvfHVM#(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> is not an exclusive wireless issue.
>> Regarding download speeds the also depend on where you are downloading

> from.
>> Have you tried using a download manager?
>> I use the old freeware flashget (www.flashget.com). Latest version dates
>> back to 2007 but it works in Win 7 x64.
>> This program makes several connections (up to 5) to the download site,

> thus
>> increasing the download speed. Handy program also for torrents.
>> Carlos
>> P.S.: Gotta shave and go to work now!
>>
>> "Mark H" wrote:
>>
>> > That's what I have. Good to know I'm not unique and I can disregard

> IPv6.
>> > Thanks for your help!
>> >
>> > I'll be looking into the slow transfer speeds this evening. Maybe a new
>> > thread to focus the topic.
>> >
>> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Carlos

Now that you mention it...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...k-performance/
Carlos

"Mark H" wrote:

> [...]
> > autotuninglevel=normal".)
> > Odd that the device would work in Vista and not in Win 7, but hey, it's a
> > direction to look!
> >

> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Mark,
> >> Mine is a Realtek network chipset (not wireless) embedded in the mobo. So

> > it
> >> is not an exclusive wireless issue.
> >> Regarding download speeds the also depend on where you are downloading

> > from.
> >> Have you tried using a download manager?
> >> I use the old freeware flashget (www.flashget.com). Latest version dates
> >> back to 2007 but it works in Win 7 x64.
> >> This program makes several connections (up to 5) to the download site,

> > thus
> >> increasing the download speed. Handy program also for torrents.

tsperling

Hi, Mark.

This is certainly interesting, I am about to try and give my slooow
connection a dose of that steroid treatment - will it require a reboot
afterwards or is it effective right away?

Tony. . .

"Mark H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#OC0P6O#(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> global
>> autotuninglevel=normal".)
>> Odd that the device would work in Vista and not in Win 7, but hey, it's a
>> direction to look!

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Mark,
>>> Mine is a Realtek network chipset (not wireless) embedded in the mobo.
>>> So

>> it
>>> is not an exclusive wireless issue.
>>> Regarding download speeds the also depend on where you are downloading

>> from.
>>> Have you tried using a download manager?
>>> I use the old freeware flashget (www.flashget.com). Latest version dates
>>> back to 2007 but it works in Win 7 x64.
>>> This program makes several connections (up to 5) to the download site,

>> thus
>>> increasing the download speed. Handy program also for torrents.

Mark H

Correction:
normal sets a small window, with a maximum scaling factor of 8
disabled sets a fixed window, but it's fairly large, no scaling
restricted sets a window, but is still scalable in some situations
highlyrestricted sets a window, but is still scalable in less situations
experimental sets a window, but attempts to scale everything for the
maximum

(router and computer have to be able to handle both the window and
the scaling)

The article Carlos points to gives a little more information. Google was my
friend on this one since it allowed me to find some other article on this
topic that was related to my problem, but the solution was for Vista's beta.
It was a good find.

"Mark H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23KlvXlk%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It did kick in on it's on, but out of habit for this type of change, I
> rebooted anyway.
> It removes the govenor from the system, so if you have a monitor, you will
> see spikes in the 1000+Kbps.
>
> I figured this would lead to more errors in transmission and an overall
> slower response, but so far, I'm impressed!
> There is another more subtle command that maintains a bit of a cap (less
> errors?):
> netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=restricted
>
> Remeber to run from an elevated C: prompt.
>
> "tsperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, Mark.
> >
> > This is certainly interesting, I am about to try and give my slooow
> > connection a dose of that steroid treatment - will it require a reboot
> > afterwards or is it effective right away?
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Mark H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#OC0P6O#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"
> > > This had an amazing improvement on internet file transfers!
> > > Went from 54 Kbps to 253 Kbps transfer speed.
> > >
> > > "Mark H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:eFvfHVM#(E-Mail Removed)...

are

window

Netgear,

> scaling.

been

> problematic

the

> firewall

autotuning
> by

> from

> some

it's

mobo.

downloading

> dates

site,

disregard

it

down?

> would

"drop

> Win7

> and

the

off

turned

> is

> network

make

> always

> install.

more

Upgrade

adapter

> just

Win7.

anymore,

> use.

driver.

> my

included

tsperling

Alright - this doesn't seem to be a router that is doing any scaling that
has to be adjusted for - it is just a plain slow connection, as I expected
because I had the same numbers in XP x64. I tried all the values (arguments;
parameters) and the variations were small, except perhaps for
'experimental', which seemed to halve the transfer rate.

I didn't expect much success, but when I hear stories like this I have to
try it.

I will try out Carlos's suggestion for a DownloadManager. FlashGet, I think
it was - i shall need that!

Tony. . .

news:#bn3Jtk#(E-Mail Removed)...