Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photomatix & HDR (REDUX)

Re: Photomatix & HDR (REDUX)

John McWilliams

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-06-27 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
>> reasonable results.
>>
>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> Thanks to all who have commented, I have taken the suggestions to heart.
>
> I have revisited the problem and have made tweeks in Photomatix
> tonemapping and CS4 to come up with this:
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...nemapped-w.jpg

Both represent good work. I find neither quite right, but it may well be
because I know in advance it's HDR, and so I am subconsciously looking
for reasons it looks at odds with other photos of similar content.

How dark was the mountain face in the 'normal' exposure?

--
John McWilliams

Paul Furman

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-06-28 09:11:52 -0700, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> Thanks to all who have commented, I have taken the suggestions to heart.
>>>
>>> I have revisited the problem and have made tweeks in Photomatix
>>> tonemapping and CS4 to come up with this:
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...nemapped-w.jpg
>>>

>> Both represent good work. I find neither quite right, but it may well
>> be because I know in advance it's HDR, and so I am subconsciously
>> looking for reasons it looks at odds with other photos of similar
>> content.
>>
>> How dark was the mountain face in the 'normal' exposure?

> Well just so you can see what I was working with here are the 3
> exposures resized only, no PP:
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1119w.jpg
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1120w.jpg
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1121w.jpg

I tried overlaying those in PS and used a soft-edged 200-pixel eraser
for a manual graduated neutral density effect and it was pretty easy for
this particular shot. The dark sky frame was only used for a slight
translucent overlay on the clouds, the foreground looks fine in the
overexposed shot.

Then I overlaid your new tonemapped version & tried luminosity & color
mode... I prefer the manual version. It took some fiddling to get them
to align, set mode to difference & free transform using arrow keys to
nudge & a little rotating too.
Here's the layered photoshop file: http://edgehill.net/1/temp/1119w.psd
-hdr on the top layer, turned off

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Burt Johnson

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Well just so you can see what I was working with here are the 3

> > exposures resized only, no PP:
> > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1119w.jpg
> > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1120w.jpg
> > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1121w.jpg

> I tried overlaying those in PS and used a soft-edged 200-pixel eraser
> for a manual graduated neutral density effect and it was pretty easy for
> this particular shot. The dark sky frame was only used for a slight
> translucent overlay on the clouds, the foreground looks fine in the
> overexposed shot.
>
> Then I overlaid your new tonemapped version & tried luminosity & color
> mode... I prefer the manual version. It took some fiddling to get them
> to align, set mode to difference & free transform using arrow keys to
> nudge & a little rotating too.
> Here's the layered photoshop file: http://edgehill.net/1/temp/1119w.psd
> -hdr on the top layer, turned off

Rather nicely done. I think I agree that I prefer your manual result
over the Photomatrix one.

As for the aligning though, Photoshop can do that automatically for you.
Did it not succeed here for some reason?

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.