Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > FPGA / CPLD Group on LinkedIn -- Networking Group

FPGA / CPLD Group on LinkedIn -- Networking Group

cpld-fpga-asic

Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.

Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
extensive internal networking.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713

Website: https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

Antti.Lukats@googlemail.com

On Jun 28, 5:09*pm, cpld-fpga-asic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
> other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
> Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
> Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
> FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
> and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
> Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
> Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.
>
> Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
> answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
> other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
> career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
> especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
> extensive internal networking.
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713
>
> Website:https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
that your linkedin networking group solved?

unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
to c.a.f. as complete spam

Antti

rickman

On Jun 28, 10:52*am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 28, 5:09*pm, cpld-fpga-asic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
> > other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
> > Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
> > Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
> > FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
> > and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
> > Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
> > Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.

> > Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
> > answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
> > other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
> > career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
> > especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
> > extensive internal networking.

> >http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713

> > Website:https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

> could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
> that your linkedin networking group solved?
>
> unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
> to c.a.f. as complete spam
>
> Antti

Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
about it. It is not a very technically oriented group. I have tried
to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
This did not seem to stimulate much in the way of subsequent new
topics either. I have also made an effort to separate the technical
content from the recruiting content and gotten feedback that the
recruiters are the ones paying the way for LinkedIn and cutting them
out would be a mistake.

So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
at LinkedIn. I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
promotion.

Rick

steve

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:08:16 +0800, rickman wrote
(in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>):

> On Jun 28, 10:52*am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jun 28, 5:09*pm, cpld-fpga-asic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
>>> other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
>>> Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
>>> Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
>>> FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
>>> and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
>>> Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
>>> Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.

>>> Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
>>> answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
>>> other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
>>> career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
>>> especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
>>> extensive internal networking.

>>> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713

>>> Website:https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

>> could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
>> that your linkedin networking group solved?
>>
>> unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
>> to c.a.f. as complete spam
>>
>> Antti

> Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
> about it. It is not a very technically oriented group. I have tried
> to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
> This did not seem to stimulate much in the way of subsequent new
> topics either. I have also made an effort to separate the technical
> content from the recruiting content and gotten feedback that the
> recruiters are the ones paying the way for LinkedIn and cutting them
> out would be a mistake.
>
> So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
> at LinkedIn. I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
> say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
> promotion.
>
> Rick

I'm completely confused as to how you can have a FPGA group that is not
"technically orientated" , it would be like having a flower arranging class
without the flowers.

rickman

On Jul 2, 8:23*pm, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:08:16 +0800, rickman wrote
> (in article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>

> > On Jun 28, 10:52*am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
> >> that your linkedin networking group solved?

> >> unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
> >> to c.a.f. as complete spam

> >> Antti

> > Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
> > about it. *It is not a very technically oriented group. *I have tried
> > to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
> > This did not seem to stimulate much in the way of subsequent new
> > topics either. *I have also made an effort to separate the technical
> > content from the recruiting content and gotten feedback that the
> > recruiters are the ones paying the way for LinkedIn and cutting them
> > out would be a mistake.

> > So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
> > at LinkedIn. *I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
> > say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
> > promotion.

> > Rick

> *I'm completely confused as to how you can have a FPGA *group that is not *
> "technically orientated" , it would be like having a flower arranging class
> without the flowers.

There are other aspects to any occupation than just the technical
issues. LinkedIn is oriented toward the business issues such as
getting a job or filling a job. As much as I would like to see it be
more technical, it seems like it is pretty firmly rooted in networking
with technical discussions being secondary.

Is it really that odd to consider?

Rick

MM

"rickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 2, 8:23 pm, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There are other aspects to any occupation than just the technical
> issues. LinkedIn is oriented toward the business issues such as
> getting a job or filling a job. As much as I would like to see it be
> more technical, it seems like it is pretty firmly rooted in networking
> with technical discussions being secondary.
>
> Is it really that odd to consider?
>
> Rick

A bigger problem is how technical discussions are set up (or at least used
to be set up when I last looked) and viewed on LinkedIn. Answering questions
is supposed to earn you points to improve your image. The questions remain
active for only limited period of time upon expiration of which no one can
contribute. Finally, you need to be a premium (read paid) member to be able
to send a private message to another member.

/Mikhail

rickman

On Jul 3, 1:47*pm, "MM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "rickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jul 2, 8:23 pm, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > There are other aspects to any occupation than just the technical
> > issues. *LinkedIn is oriented toward the business issues such as
> > getting a job or filling a job. *As much as I would like to see it be
> > more technical, it seems like it is pretty firmly rooted in networking
> > with technical discussions being secondary.

> > Is it really that odd to consider?

> > Rick

> A bigger problem is how technical discussions are set up (or at least used
> to be set up when I last looked) and viewed on LinkedIn. Answering questions
> is supposed to earn you points to improve your image. The questions remain
> active for only limited period of time upon expiration of which no one can
> contribute. Finally, you need to be a premium (read paid) member to be able
> to send a private message to another member.
>
> /Mikhail

I have not seen anything about points on LinkedIn. I think the only
way to "improve" your image at LinkedIn is what you put in your
profile. LinkedIn does not rate anyone that I am aware of.

I think you may be remembering a different site than LinkedIn. They
don't limit the time to reply to a discussion and I am not a paid
member and I can send private messages. If I could find you, I would
send you a private message to demonstrate, but there are a lot of
Mikhails on LinkedIn.

Rick

MM

"rickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 3, 1:47 pm, "MM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have not seen anything about points on LinkedIn. I think the only
>way to "improve" your image at LinkedIn is what you put in your
>profile. LinkedIn does not rate anyone that I am aware of.
>
>I think you may be remembering a different site than LinkedIn. They
>don't limit the time to reply to a discussion and I am not a paid
>member and I can send private messages. If I could find you, I would
>send you a private message to demonstrate, but there are a lot of
>Mikhails on LinkedIn.

I should have put points in quote marks. There is no rating, but there is an
option to see all the answers by a person. I am not confusing LinkedIn with
another site but I might be confusing discussions in its groups with its
Answers section though. With regards to the private mail, it seems as they
have recently changed their policy. It used to be that you could only send a
message to someone in your network, for anyone else the only type of message
you could send was an invitation to join your network.

/Mikhail

rickman

On Jul 3, 3:46 pm, "MM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "rickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jul 3, 1:47 pm, "MM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I have not seen anything about points on LinkedIn. I think the only
> >way to "improve" your image at LinkedIn is what you put in your
> >profile. LinkedIn does not rate anyone that I am aware of.

> >I think you may be remembering a different site than LinkedIn. They
> >don't limit the time to reply to a discussion and I am not a paid
> >member and I can send private messages. If I could find you, I would
> >send you a private message to demonstrate, but there are a lot of
> >Mikhails on LinkedIn.

> I should have put points in quote marks. There is no rating, but there is an
> option to see all the answers by a person. I am not confusing LinkedIn with
> another site but I might be confusing discussions in its groups with its
> Answers section though. With regards to the private mail, it seems as they
> have recently changed their policy. It used to be that you could only send a
> message to someone in your network, for anyone else the only type of message
> you could send was an invitation to join your network.
>
> /Mikhail

I believe you are correct about the change. I don't use it that often
so I don't recall all the details, but I seem to recall that when I
tried to contact someone a while back I had to "invite" them to my
network. Fortunately that has changed now.

I'm not at all familiar with the Answers section. I guess I just have
not explored it a lot. I find the interface to be a bit less than
obvious, but then I think that about a lot of web sites like Facebook
and Twitter.

For example, I can't find a way to reach a human at Twitter to report
spam to or to ask to block emails to my domain. I keep getting form
emails back about using their support web pages. I guess I will have
to resort to the post office.

Speaking of Twitter, I got some spam (an invitation to join as one of
their "twits") from someone there and I can't find a way to report
them. There used to be a law here in Maryland that would allow you to
sue a spammer for $500 for each email they knowingly sent to a
Maryland state resident. A guy decided to fight back by taking an
email address at <marylandstateresident.com> and started suing
spammers. He snared a couple of small time spammers selling BS
assembly projects that you could assemble and then get paid for. Of
course no one ever made them good enough to get through "quality
control". Then a spammer fought back and won in court with the ruling
that it would be next to impossible for a spammer to "know" he was
spamming a Maryland state resident. Otherwise participation by the
State Attorney General is required in order to sue a spammer if I
understand the current law.

Rick

MM

"rickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> For example, I can't find a way to reach a human at Twitter

Why on earth a grown man would want to use Twitter?

/Mikhail