Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISP recommendations?

ISP recommendations?

thingy

On Jun 28, 7:38*pm, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Squiggle wrote:
> > Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
> > now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
> > about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?

> > Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
> > like these days, anybody happy with their service?

> Can't recommend any ISP, basically it's a choice of who you would like
> to be shafted by.
>
> Be prepared for long wait times on hold, support staffs first language
> will not be english, and their skill level will be limited to reading
> from a script.
>
> Any service that fails will then be called a "free service and no
> performance level promised in any way". Poor download speeds (Telecoms
> fault but most people in NZ don't have a choice), small data caps.
>
> Basically all the ISP's are crap, if Xnet aren't doing anything about
> their news server, file a complaint with the TDR, that usually gets them
> moving.
>
> Take your pick they are all different flavors of a **** sandwich.

Sadly I agree...

Interesting that there is the Pollies saying broadband etc is vital,
yet we have a bunch of cowboys (at best) for ISPs....who,

Wont fix issues.
Wont respond on the phone.
Lie.
Cheat.
Screw you at every opportunity for every penny.
Take money off you on a whim and then fight you for 3~6 months as you
try and get it back.
Disconnect you for money you dont owe them....
etc etc

So we might one day get fibre....so how is that going to fix customer
issues?

All I want is a connection to the Internet and an IP address (though 2
would be nice), I dont need sucky ISPs with moronic staff to deal
with....realistically I dont need most of the second rate services
they offer.....I just need a pipe....

regards

thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington
wrote:

> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise I'd say
you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my monthly
limit.

Squiggle

Alan wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> message news:h2k29q$i70$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>> Worthington
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

>> I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise
>> I'd say
>> you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my monthly
>> limit.
>>

> Same for Orcon I think.
>
> I believe you can also increase your package anytime in the month, and
> avoid the overage charge (assuming you increase it enough to cover your
> overage of course), so as you reach the end of the billing month and you
> are already over by, say, 9GB you might add 10GB to your package for the
> month which costs $12 I think, but better than paying $18 (at $2 / GB)
> and definitely better than $90 if you are paying $10 / GB.
>
> Presumably if they charge $10 / GB you'll be very careful not to go
> over though!
>
> Check on their website if you are interested as it probably changes from
> time to time.
>
> Alan.

The worldnet overage charge is $10/10GB, not per GB as Stephen said. Its
looking quite attractive at the moment as most of the other isps want
voice/tolls etc also, but in my living situation those are not in my
name, nor do I wish them to be as I do not use those services.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h2k8s0$dsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Squiggle wrote:

> The worldnet overage charge is $10/10GB, not per GB as Stephen said. Its
> looking quite attractive at the moment ...

That's much more reasonable. For sufficiently New-Zealand-specific values of
the term "reasonable".

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 16:43:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington
>wrote:
>
>> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

>I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise I'd say
>you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my monthly
>limit.

A mistype. It is $10 per 10 Gibytes.

Alan

"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h2k8s0$dsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Alan wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>> message news:h2k29q$i70$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>>> Worthington

>>> I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price,
>>> otherwise I'd say
>>> you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my
>>> monthly
>>> limit.
>>>

>> Same for Orcon I think.
>>
>> I believe you can also increase your package anytime in the month,
>> and avoid the overage charge (assuming you increase it enough to
>> cover your overage of course), so as you reach the end of the
>> billing month and you are already over by, say, 9GB you might add
>> 10GB to your package for the month which costs $12 I think, but
>> better than paying $18 (at $2 / GB) and definitely better than $90
>> if you are paying $10 / GB.
>>
>> Presumably if they charge $10 / GB you'll be very careful not to
>> go over though!
>>
>> Check on their website if you are interested as it probably changes
>> from time to time.
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> The worldnet overage charge is $10/10GB, not per GB as Stephen said.
> Its looking quite attractive at the moment as most of the other isps
> want voice/tolls etc also, but in my living situation those are not
> in my name, nor do I wish them to be as I do not use those services.

$1 / GB sounds okay to me.

Alan.

My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

Alan

"Stephen Worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 16:43:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>>Worthington
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

>>I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise
>>I'd say
>>you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my
>>monthly
>>limit.

> A mistype. It is $10 per 10 Gibytes.

That's okay - I wouldn't have any particular issue with that figure as
of today.

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).