Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISP recommendations?

ISP recommendations?

Squiggle

Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?

Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
like these days, anybody happy with their service?

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:16:12 +1200, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
>now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
>about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
>
>Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
>like these days, anybody happy with their service?

Orcon may be the ONLY isp which doesn't log TVNZ content downloads
against any account caps which may otherwise apply. Could be a big
plus depending on how you use your internet.

greg

Squiggle wrote:
> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
> now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
> about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
>
> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
> like these days, anybody happy with their service?

Can't recommend any ISP, basically it's a choice of who you would like
to be shafted by.

Be prepared for long wait times on hold, support staffs first language
will not be english, and their skill level will be limited to reading
from a script.

Any service that fails will then be called a "free service and no
performance level promised in any way". Poor download speeds (Telecoms
fault but most people in NZ don't have a choice), small data caps.

Basically all the ISP's are crap, if Xnet aren't doing anything about
their news server, file a complaint with the TDR, that usually gets them
moving.

Take your pick they are all different flavors of a **** sandwich.

Jack Spratt

"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h27209$98v$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and now
> they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm about to
> jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
>
> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon like
> these days, anybody happy with their service?

Call me radical but I've had few reasons to moan about Xtra of late.

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:38:17 +1200, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Squiggle wrote:
>> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
>> now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
>> about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
>>
>> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
>> like these days, anybody happy with their service?

>Can't recommend any ISP, basically it's a choice of who you would like
>to be shafted by.
>
>Be prepared for long wait times on hold, support staffs first language
>will not be english, and their skill level will be limited to reading
>from a script.
>
>Any service that fails will then be called a "free service and no
>performance level promised in any way". Poor download speeds (Telecoms
>fault but most people in NZ don't have a choice), small data caps.
>
>Basically all the ISP's are crap, if Xnet aren't doing anything about
>their news server, file a complaint with the TDR, that usually gets them
>moving.
>
>Take your pick they are all different flavors of a **** sandwich.

You have obviously been picking bad ISPs - good ones do exist. Actrix
and Inspire have consistently topped Consumers' list of ISPs every
year for a long time. My experience with Actrix is a while ago now,
but they were totally excellent.

I am currently with WorldNet. They seem to be Korean, but on the two
occasions I have had to call them they were helpful and knew the right
answers. The frontline people do have an accent, but they have
excellent English. Before I signed up with them, I asked to talk to
one of their technical people to get some very specific answers about
how their network operated. No problem - they put me straight through
to someone who was able to answer everything I asked (who happened to
have a very kiwi accent). The advantage of WorldNet for me is that I
have a full speed / full speed connection and as much or as little
volume as I need each month - no cap. I just pay $10 per GiByte,
which is about as cheap as it gets in NZ except for the package deals.

Mike Dee

Squiggle wrote:

> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and now
> they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm about to
> jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
>
> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon like
> these days, anybody happy with their service?

If most of the ISPs available give an up/down so-so sort of service and
are dropping Usenet faster than than you can say "lets spend more money
and give our customers a great deal". Try one (or more) of the free (text
only) news servers out there, without needing to "jump ship".

news.solani.org
news.eternal-september.org
news.albasani.net
nntp.aioe.org

Spring to mind, there are others... but if you require binaries, then
you are probably better off getting another ISP which (still) provides
binary newsgroups, or pay for an independent one that you can use along
with your current ISP... Giganews for example has long retention of
binaries and is currently running a free trial... (haven't tried the free
trial so don't know how it goes, but if you're feeling adventurous...)
<http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CMHv4cbjrJsCFUpApAodYmRxIw>

--
dee

Mike Dee

Mike Dee wrote:

> Giganews for example has long retention of binaries and is
> currently running a free trial... (haven't tried the free trial so don't
> know how it goes, but if you're feeling adventurous...)
> <http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CMHv4cbjrJsCFUpApAodYmRxIw>

Oops. The above is a Google referral link.

Rather than they get any $$$$$$ for clicking it:

<http://www.giganews.com/>

Alone is sufficient. The free trial button is on that direct home page
link. Sorry for posting Google spam, it wasn't intentional.

--
dee

Squiggle

Mike Dee wrote:
> Squiggle wrote:
>
>> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and now
>> they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm about to
>> jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
>>
>> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon like
>> these days, anybody happy with their service?

> If most of the ISPs available give an up/down so-so sort of service and
> are dropping Usenet faster than than you can say "lets spend more money
> and give our customers a great deal". Try one (or more) of the free (text
> only) news servers out there, without needing to "jump ship".
>
> news.solani.org
> news.eternal-september.org
> news.albasani.net
> nntp.aioe.org
>
> Spring to mind, there are others... but if you require binaries, then
> you are probably better off getting another ISP which (still) provides
> binary newsgroups, or pay for an independent one that you can use along
> with your current ISP... Giganews for example has long retention of
> binaries and is currently running a free trial... (haven't tried the free
> trial so don't know how it goes, but if you're feeling adventurous...)
> <http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CMHv4cbjrJsCFUpApAodYmRxIw>

Thanks for the suggestion, i'm already using eternal-september, but the
newsgroups are just one of many problems. Having to wait ten minutes
while a 6 minute youtube clip loads is more of an issue.

Mike Dee

Squiggle wrote:

> Mike Dee wrote:
>> Squiggle wrote:
>>
>>> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
>>> now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
>>> about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?

[...]
>> news.solani.org
>> news.eternal-september.org
>> news.albasani.net
>> nntp.aioe.org

[...]

> Thanks for the suggestion, i'm already using eternal-september, but the
> newsgroups are just one of many problems. Having to wait ten minutes
> while a 6 minute youtube clip loads is more of an issue.

I agree *that* would be an issue, just not one you'd mentioned in your OP,
which did mention news-servers

Telescum I've heard has been OK as of late [ducks]

Bon chance, out there (no real recommendations, sorry).

--
dee

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:17:56 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:17:56 +1200

> Orcon, Happy.

Evidently, Orcon's news server still thinks it is NZ daylight savings time.
And the Orcon news server seems to have the wrong time on top of that.