Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows StartKey

Dimdows StartKey

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Boot Windows from a hot-pluggable USB drive
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3187>?

As so many users have discovered the hard way
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/6b8ae959f6f323c3>, Windows
simply isn't designed to have a single installation be moved willy-nilly
between different hardware configurations.

There's also the issue of app compatibility. I suspect most apps wouldn't
work. They tend to assume they're running off the C: drive. So the StartKey
installation pretends the USB drive is always the C: drive. How about during
the initial installation, which you'll probably be doing off a PC that
already has a C: drive?

Not to mention the whole licensing can of worms. Would you have to redo
Product Activation every time you rebooted? The whole idea is just too
fraught to be much of a success.

Gordon

On 2009-06-27, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Boot Windows from a hot-pluggable USB drive
><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3187>?
>
> As so many users have discovered the hard way
><http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/6b8ae959f6f323c3>, Windows
> simply isn't designed to have a single installation be moved willy-nilly
> between different hardware configurations.
>
> There's also the issue of app compatibility. I suspect most apps wouldn't
> work. They tend to assume they're running off the C: drive. So the StartKey
> installation pretends the USB drive is always the C: drive. How about during
> the initial installation, which you'll probably be doing off a PC that
> already has a C: drive?
>
> Not to mention the whole licensing can of worms. Would you have to redo
> Product Activation every time you rebooted? The whole idea is just too
> fraught to be much of a success.

So why post?

Bugger I have.

greg

Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-06-27, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>> Boot Windows from a hot-pluggable USB drive
>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3187>?
>>
>> As so many users have discovered the hard way
>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/6b8ae959f6f323c3>, Windows
>> simply isn't designed to have a single installation be moved willy-nilly
>> between different hardware configurations.
>>
>> There's also the issue of app compatibility. I suspect most apps wouldn't
>> work. They tend to assume they're running off the C: drive. So the StartKey
>> installation pretends the USB drive is always the C: drive. How about during
>> the initial installation, which you'll probably be doing off a PC that
>> already has a C: drive?
>>
>> Not to mention the whole licensing can of worms. Would you have to redo
>> Product Activation every time you rebooted? The whole idea is just too
>> fraught to be much of a success.
>>

> So why post?
>
> Bugger I have.

Take a look at all the past posts lawrence has made, he is just an
attention seeking lamer, best to ignore any thing that has his name attached

Mike Dee

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So why post?
>
> Bugger I have.

Oh, thats just great. So I get to see the that cruddy shill's post, as
well. Yet you managed to type "Bugger I have" *before* you posted it
all un-snipped - marvelous. Thanks for eff-all.

Learn to use kill files FFS.

--
dee

L'homme est, je vous l'avoue, un méchant animal. Ib. 5

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> So why post?
>
> Bugger I have.

Things a bit slow in your corner of Trollville? Looking to be plonked,
maybe?