Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 remaining problem

Win7 remaining problem

Tony Sperling

Sounds promising, Bill - I can verify there is no mention of anything on any
of the pages to lead you to any sort of NNTP and I even typed:

microsoft public newsgroups

in it's own searchbox and it had nothing to say, except to check my typing.
I tried adding a 'Group' and I think I tried adding a 'Contact', also with
no apparent result but your idea of adding an 'Account' could be a good
idea. I shall try that also.

Windows Mail? Is that the part that you have to separately download? Perhaps
that is the proverbial stumbling block?

Anyway, thanks for the input. And thanks to Carlos for those web-links -
they will do fine for the moment since this is a dual-boot and this problem
is seing much too frequent duality!

Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...-and-windows-7

Carlos
"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Sounds promising, Bill - I can verify there is no mention of anything on any
> of the pages to lead you to any sort of NNTP and I even typed:
>
> microsoft public newsgroups
>
> in it's own searchbox and it had nothing to say, except to check my typing.
> I tried adding a 'Group' and I think I tried adding a 'Contact', also with
> no apparent result but your idea of adding an 'Account' could be a good
> idea. I shall try that also.
>
> Windows Mail? Is that the part that you have to separately download? Perhaps
> that is the proverbial stumbling block?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the input. And thanks to Carlos for those web-links -
> they will do fine for the moment since this is a dual-boot and this problem
> is seing much too frequent duality!
>

> Tony. . .

tsperling

Thank you, Carlos!

Those links made me realize what I already suspected - that I needed to
download something. This wasn't immediately clear as I had an 'Live Mail'
account that I was able to access via the messenger box that comes up by
default.

So, all is up and running and typing this from the Win7 native Newsreader -
AND with a slightly changed username that should reveal where I am. Perhaps
not such a good idea?

And I am listening to my favorite Radio (Java & Flash) - and having Google
Earth available - so, all honky-dory here now!!!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony,
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm
> http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...-and-windows-7
>
> Carlos
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Sounds promising, Bill - I can verify there is no mention of anything on
>> any
>> of the pages to lead you to any sort of NNTP and I even typed:
>>
>> microsoft public newsgroups
>>
>> in it's own searchbox and it had nothing to say, except to check my
>> typing.
>> I tried adding a 'Group' and I think I tried adding a 'Contact', also
>> with
>> no apparent result but your idea of adding an 'Account' could be a good
>> idea. I shall try that also.
>>
>> Windows Mail? Is that the part that you have to separately download?
>> Perhaps
>> that is the proverbial stumbling block?
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for the input. And thanks to Carlos for those web-links -
>> they will do fine for the moment since this is a dual-boot and this
>> problem
>> is seing much too frequent duality!
>>

>> Tony. . .

R. C. White

Hi, Tony.

Add these newsgroups to what Carlos listed:

Click on any or all of those links to start your default newsreader and read
a few messages.

Brief summary:
*.internet.mail is for users of any mail program.
*.windows,live.mail.desktop is for Windows Live Mail (WLM, or WLMail when
needed to distinguish it from WLMsgr). (The word "desktop" was dropped from
the name of the program over 2 years ago, but Usenet rules make it hard to
change the name of a newsgroup - just make sure you ask about WLM and not
WLMD!)
*.vista.mail is for users of Windows Mail (WM), the application built into
Vista.
*.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress is for Outlook Express (OE), the
application built into WinXP and earlier.

Note that both WM and OE are dead to any future development, as Microsoft
announced more than 2 years ago. Neither can be downloaded and added to an
existing OS; OE won't run in Vista; WM won't run in anything else. WLM is
not included in any OS, but will run on any current Windows version.

Win7 has NO email or newsreader client at all. You are free to (read
"must") download and install the applications of your choice.

You probably knew all or most of this, but others reading along might not.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds promising, Bill - I can verify there is no mention of anything on
> any of the pages to lead you to any sort of NNTP and I even typed:
>
> microsoft public newsgroups
>
> in it's own searchbox and it had nothing to say, except to check my
> typing. I tried adding a 'Group' and I think I tried adding a 'Contact',
> also with no apparent result but your idea of adding an 'Account' could be
> a good idea. I shall try that also.
>
> Windows Mail? Is that the part that you have to separately download?
> Perhaps that is the proverbial stumbling block?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the input. And thanks to Carlos for those web-links -
> they will do fine for the moment since this is a dual-boot and this
> problem is seing much too frequent duality!
>

> Tony. . .

tsperling

I knew something was amiss when everybody was talking about stuff that I
should clearly be seeing, but didn't. Now I do know yes, but it was
certainly confusing to have your WLM mailbox in front of you and then be
required to download WLM!!!

That really looks like a 'dirty' trick - but I'm quite happy now:0)

Tony. . .

news:uaopjoA#(E-Mail Removed)...