Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Upgrade?

Windows 7 Upgrade?

David B. Mathews

They have an early deal where we can get a upgrade to Windows 7 for $49 but
it sounds like all you can do with it is up upgrade a current Vista for
example. Other upgrades I believe I could do a fresh install as long as I
had a copy of Vista to show I owned it. Is this still true? Also my copy
of Vista 64 Ultimate is from Dell, will this matter?

Bobby Johnson

According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have
either Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the
current partition and and proceed from them during the installation.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...7/category/102

* Running Windows Vista?
* If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade
versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install,
and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7
installs over Windows Vista).

* Running earlier versions?
* If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7
Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and
reinstall your applications.

You should contact Microsoft to answer about upgrading from Dell OEM.

David B. Mathews wrote:
> They have an early deal where we can get a upgrade to Windows 7 for $49
> but it sounds like all you can do with it is up upgrade a current Vista
> for example. Other upgrades I believe I could do a fresh install as
> long as I had a copy of Vista to show I owned it. Is this still true?
> Also my copy of Vista 64 Ultimate is from Dell, will this matter?

Bioboffin

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have either
> Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the current
> partition and and proceed from them during the installation.
>
> http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...7/category/102
>
> * Running Windows Vista?
> * If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions.
> You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and
> reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs
> over Windows Vista).

Except for those of us who live in the EU, where no upgrades will be
possible.

http://software.silicon.com/os/0,390...9445486,00.htm

I always preferred to do a clean install anyway!

--

John

Jeff Gaines

On 26/06/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Bioboffin
wrote:

>"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have either
>>Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the current
>>partition and and proceed from them during the installation.

[snipped]
>Except for those of us who live in the EU, where no upgrades will be
>possible.
>
>http://software.silicon.com/os/0,390...9445486,00.htm
>
>I always preferred to do a clean install anyway!

We're getting used to taking it up the a**e from the EU here in the UK

--
Jeff Gaines

Sparky

The ad I received here in Canada states that ' All Versions of XP and Vista
qualify' for the upgrade.
Does that include OEM ? Is there any way to confirm it before purchase ?

Thanks

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have either
> Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the current
> partition and and proceed from them during the installation.
>
> http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...7/category/102
>
> * Running Windows Vista?
> * If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions.
> You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and
> reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs
> over Windows Vista).
>
> * Running earlier versions?
> * If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7
> Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and
> reinstall your applications.
>
> You should contact Microsoft to answer about upgrading from Dell OEM.
>

> David B. Mathews wrote:
>> They have an early deal where we can get a upgrade to Windows 7 for $49
>> but it sounds like all you can do with it is up upgrade a current Vista
>> for example. Other upgrades I believe I could do a fresh install as long
>> as I had a copy of Vista to show I owned it. Is this still true? Also
>> my copy of Vista 64 Ultimate is from Dell, will this matter?

Bobby Johnson

Contact Microsoft. This is not a marketing group. This group deals
with the functioning of Windows, not the marketing.

Sparky wrote:
> The ad I received here in Canada states that ' All Versions of XP and
> Vista qualify' for the upgrade.
> Does that include OEM ? Is there any way to confirm it before purchase ?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have
>> either Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete
>> the current partition and and proceed from them during the installation.
>>
>> http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...7/category/102
>>
>> * Running Windows Vista?
>> * If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade
>> versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean
>> install, and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade
>> (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).
>>
>> * Running earlier versions?
>> * If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7
>> Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and
>> reinstall your applications.
>>
>> You should contact Microsoft to answer about upgrading from Dell OEM.
>>

>> David B. Mathews wrote:
>>> They have an early deal where we can get a upgrade to Windows 7 for
>>> $49 but it sounds like all you can do with it is up upgrade a current
>>> Vista for example. Other upgrades I believe I could do a fresh
>>> install as long as I had a copy of Vista to show I owned it. Is this
>>> still true? Also my copy of Vista 64 Ultimate is from Dell, will
>>> this matter?

David B.

It has in the past, so probably still does.

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The ad I received here in Canada states that ' All Versions of XP and
> Vista qualify' for the upgrade.
> Does that include OEM ? Is there any way to confirm it before purchase ?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have either
>> Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the current
>> partition and and proceed from them during the installation.
>>
>> http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...7/category/102
>>
>> * Running Windows Vista?
>> * If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions.
>> You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and
>> reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs
>> over Windows Vista).
>>
>> * Running earlier versions?
>> * If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7
>> Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and
>> reinstall your applications.
>>
>> You should contact Microsoft to answer about upgrading from Dell OEM.
>>

>> David B. Mathews wrote:
>>> They have an early deal where we can get a upgrade to Windows 7 for $49
>>> but it sounds like all you can do with it is up upgrade a current Vista
>>> for example. Other upgrades I believe I could do a fresh install as
>>> long as I had a copy of Vista to show I owned it. Is this still true?
>>> Also my copy of Vista 64 Ultimate is from Dell, will this matter?

Bo Persson

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 26/06/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bioboffin wrote:
>

>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you
>>> have either Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning
>>> you delete the current partition and and proceed from them during
>>> the installation.

> [snipped]
>> Except for those of us who live in the EU, where no upgrades will
>> be possible.
>>
>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,390...9445486,00.htm
>>
>> I always preferred to do a clean install anyway!

> We're getting used to taking it up the a**e from the EU here in the
> UK

Right, and the fact that MS has decided to ship an 'E' version without
IE8 makes it impossible for them to sell an upgrade?

Bo Persson

In the purchase of the upgrade there is no indication of a choice between
the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. How do you choose? I'll like the 64 bit
since I'm currently evaluating a 64 bit version. Can someone explain.

Bobby Johnson

Contact Microsoft and ask them.

This is not Microsoft Marketing!

This is a user's group for the operation of the Windows operating 64-bit
operating.

This group has absolutely NOTHING to do with Marketing!