Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Why does this not work in IE8?

Why does this not work in IE8?

Jonathan N. Little

Jim S wrote:

> That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button.
> The original page
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...tton_test.html
> works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks how I would like but it
> doesn't work in IE.
> I wondered why and could I make it work in IE.
> My current version of this page is
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...orephotos.html and
> although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of buttons and I
> don't want to construct them since they already exist. I fancy I'm peeing
> into the wind. <g>

Looks like a bad idea all around.

<head>

<title>Which Way?</title>

</head>

<form action="this.html" method="get">
</form>

Seamonkey1 A => that.html
Firefox3 A => that.html
IE8 FORM => this.html
IE7 FORM => this.html
IE6 FORM => this.html
IE5.5 FORM => this.html
IE5 FORM => this.html
Opera9.6 FORM => this.html
Opera8.4 FORM => this.html
Opera7.5 FORM => this.html
Chrome A => that.html
Netscape7.1 A => that.html
Netscape4.6 FORM => this.html
WebTV A => that.html
MSNTV A => that.html

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jim S

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:09:49 -0400, BootNic wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:48:07 GMT
> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
> <1xirxixvx2qig$(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:29:49 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> [snip]

>>> Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but
>>> if you have CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background
>>> gradient will give you the effect you want? Just a thought...

>> That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button. The
>> original page
>> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...orephotos_butt
>> on_test.html works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks
>> how I would like but it doesn't work in IE.
>>
>> I wondered why and could I make it work in IE. My current
>> version of this page is
>> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...orephotos.html
>> and although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of
>> buttons and I don't want to construct them since they already
>> exist. I fancy I'm peeing into the wind. <g>

> Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather the a form?
>
> Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form. Style the
> form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin: 0; }
>
> Further if you would choose to remove the extra padding IE may add:
> form a input { overflow: visible; padding: 0 0.3em; }
>
> <form method="post" action="http://www.example.com">
> "example dot com"></a>
> </form>

If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button. This then
forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen (in 1024 x 768
resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of my self-imposed brief is
that when ever possible the page does not exceed the height and width of
the screen. Of course this happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height
and not in width.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

BootNic

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:21:07 GMT
Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
<ys02i237iove$(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:09:49 -0400, BootNic wrote:

[snip]

>> Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather
>> the a form?
>>
>> Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form.
>> Style the form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin:
>> 0; }

[snip]

> If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button.
> This then forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen
> (in 1024 x 768 resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of
> my self-imposed brief is that when ever possible the page does
> not exceed the height and width of the screen. Of course this
> happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height and not in width.

Perhaps you have not noticed my comment about the form margins.

--
BootNic Sun Jun 28, 2009 08:26 pm
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he

BootNic

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:21:07 GMT
Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
<ys02i237iove$(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:09:49 -0400, BootNic wrote:

[snip]

>> Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather
>> the a form?
>>
>> Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form.
>> Style the form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin:
>> 0; }

[snip]

> If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button.
> This then forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen
> (in 1024 x 768 resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of
> my self-imposed brief is that when ever possible the page does
> not exceed the height and width of the screen. Of course this
> happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height and not in width.

Perhaps you have not noticed my comment about the form margins.

--
BootNic Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:20 pm
Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant

Jim S

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:26:21 -0400, BootNic wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:21:07 GMT
> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
> <ys02i237iove$(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:09:49 -0400, BootNic wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>> Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather
>>> the a form?
>>>
>>> Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form.
>>> Style the form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin:
>>> 0; }

> [snip]
>
>> If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button.
>> This then forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen
>> (in 1024 x 768 resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of
>> my self-imposed brief is that when ever possible the page does
>> not exceed the height and width of the screen. Of course this
>> happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height and not in width.

> Perhaps you have not noticed my comment about the form margins.

I didn't and that helps a lot and I'm getting where I want to be, but
(there's always a but) it is a good deal more complex than my buttonize
CSS. :0(

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK