Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > List of UK Freeview Channels

Reply
Thread Tools

List of UK Freeview Channels

 
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:24:47 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:38:47 +1200, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:05:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels
>>>
>>>and? your point?
>>>

>>
>>
>>Well Freeview here is now a Dead Duck..

>
>Rubbish.




As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
not be upgraded.

Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview


Simple Logic..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
Woger wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:35:59 +1200, Reg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:12:34 +1200, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

>> Of course you pay about $30 a month in the UK simply to have a tv.
>>
>> The annual cost of a colour TV licence (set by the Government) is
>> currently 142.50

>
> Yes that show up how bad the TV here is..
>
> But then again UK TV is lust not totally funded by Advertising..
>


You mean its lust funded by taxes ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
Woger wrote:

> These are DVB-T transmissions..
>


Yes, but mpeg 2 at under 3 megabits looks like **** regardless of
transmission medium.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Woger wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
>> not be upgraded.
>>
>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>>
>>
>> Simple Logic..
>>

>
>They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
>actually the only output which will survive.
>
>You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.


I am refering to adding more channels, this will not happen for some years.


plus the Date is not cast in stone..



 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Worthington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Woger wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
>> not be upgraded.
>>
>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>>
>>
>> Simple Logic..
>>

>
>They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
>actually the only output which will survive.
>
>You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.


If they are running out of money and firing staff, then they will just
have to move forward the date they shut down the analogue
transmitters. It is likely that few analogue transmitters are being
manufactured now anyway, as no-one in their right mind would ever
install new ones now that digital is so well established around the
world. The USA analogue shutdown has already happened (12-Jun-09).

Woger, just because you happen to be having reception problems in your
part of Kapiti does not mean anything to the rest of us receiving
FreeviewHD quite happily from other transmitters. From your
description, you seem to be on a small translator that has hardware
and power problems. That has always been the case for some people
located in difficult transmission areas who receive from a local
translator. It will be no different with digital transmissions. So
maybe you and your neighbours will need to band together and put up
the money to get reliable reception, as has been the case in the past.
 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
Woger wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Woger wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
>>> not be upgraded.
>>>
>>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>>>
>>>
>>> Simple Logic..
>>>

>> They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
>> actually the only output which will survive.
>>
>> You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

>
> I am refering to adding more channels, this will not happen for some years.


It will happen
>
>
> plus the Date is not cast in stone..
>
>
>

It will happen

 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Woger wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
>>> not be upgraded.
>>>
>>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>>>
>>>
>>> Simple Logic..
>>>

>> They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
>> actually the only output which will survive.
>>
>> You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

>
> If they are running out of money and firing staff, then they will just
> have to move forward the date they shut down the analogue
> transmitters. It is likely that few analogue transmitters are being
> manufactured now anyway, as no-one in their right mind would ever
> install new ones now that digital is so well established around the
> world. The USA analogue shutdown has already happened (12-Jun-09).
>
> Woger, just because you happen to be having reception problems in your
> part of Kapiti does not mean anything to the rest of us receiving
> FreeviewHD quite happily from other transmitters. From your
> description, you seem to be on a small translator that has hardware
> and power problems. That has always been the case for some people
> located in difficult transmission areas who receive from a local
> translator. It will be no different with digital transmissions. So
> maybe you and your neighbours will need to band together and put up
> the money to get reliable reception, as has been the case in the past.


FWIW the transmitters are run by Kordia, not TVNZ, and you are right,
they don't want to maintain them.
Kordia operates 400 sites for TVNZ TV3 C4 Sky's Pay Network Prime and
Freeview. and radio.
New channels added to Freeview aren't conditional on whatever TVNZ does,
they can and probably will be independent channels competing for the same $$
They only have 20 channels on the satellite transponder and they have 12
running already, they are only planning on 18 max for both S and T.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Sutton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009

"Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:24:47 +1200, Stephen Worthington
> <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:38:47 +1200, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:05:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
>>><(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>"Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels
>>>>
>>>>and? your point?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Well Freeview here is now a Dead Duck..

>>
>>Rubbish.

>
>
>
> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview
> will
> not be upgraded.
>
> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>
>
> Simple Logic..
>


Freeview is not run by TVNZ

 
Reply With Quote
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2009
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:49:31 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Woger wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
>>> not be upgraded.
>>>
>>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>>>
>>>
>>> Simple Logic..
>>>

>>
>>They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
>>actually the only output which will survive.
>>
>>You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

>
>If they are running out of money and firing staff, then they will just
>have to move forward the date they shut down the analogue
>transmitters. It is likely that few analogue transmitters are being
>manufactured now anyway, as no-one in their right mind would ever
>install new ones now that digital is so well established around the
>world. The USA analogue shutdown has already happened (12-Jun-09).
>
>Woger, just because you happen to be having reception problems in your
>part of Kapiti does not mean anything to the rest of us receiving
>FreeviewHD quite happily from other transmitters. From your
>description, you seem to be on a small translator that has hardware
>and power problems. That has always been the case for some people
>located in difficult transmission areas who receive from a local
>translator. It will be no different with digital transmissions. So
>maybe you and your neighbours will need to band together and put up
>the money to get reliable reception, as has been the case in the past.



I have been there done all that is the Past we were referred to as Pirates as
we were getting TV3 from Wellington and was told by the BCL that was wrong
but they have sort of fixed it but there translator gets it feed to 2 places
depending on co-channel problems, so lots of the time TV3 can be bad.

There in one Freeview transmitter that feed all of the Kapiti area , but they
are only 50w and break down often, I have rung Kordia about this..

Not I don't sit one my hands, but Freeview is not as rosy as its painted.

My reception is ok and the TV shows a SQ of 9-10 on all channels 10 being
the max but with a few aerial tweaks I can get all up to 10..



 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2009
Mutley wrote:
> victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Woger wrote:
>>> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Woger wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
>>>>> not be upgraded.
>>>>>
>>>>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Simple Logic..
>>>>>
>>>> They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
>>>> actually the only output which will survive.
>>>>
>>>> You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.
>>> I am refering to adding more channels, this will not happen for some years.

>> It will happen
>>>
>>> plus the Date is not cast in stone..
>>>
>>>
>>>

>> It will happen

>
> In our lifetime?? This is NZ you know..


They could switch off analogue now if they wanted and just rely on dvb-s
wher there isn't terrestrial coverage.
They won't be replacing analogue translators.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kapities new Freeview channels causing problems. Frank Williams NZ Computing 1 08-31-2011 12:12 PM
Freeview mailing list The Other Guy NZ Computing 14 02-14-2007 11:42 AM
Can i use Sony DAV-DZ100 720 Watt Home Theatre System with a dvd recorder and freeview Adam DVD Video 0 12-14-2005 10:19 PM
freeview to pc bigredfred Computer Support 4 03-28-2005 02:36 PM
IRC channels list updated vruz Ruby 0 03-06-2005 06:49 PM



Advertisments