Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Realtek WiFi for Win7 revisited. . .

Realtek WiFi for Win7 revisited. . .

Tony Sperling

Hi, all!

Before making another investment, I tried a somewhat newer driver and tried
a driver update routine in Device Manager. The process quickly aborts with a
message:

There was a problem installing Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps
USB 2.0 Network Adapter.

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display
name.

Does anybody have any idea what this means, or what I can do about removing
the conflict? Is this referring to information in the reg. that can be
deleted?

Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Oh! I happened onto [Roadwolf's] blogpost:

http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?p=94

this is close to what I had expected and I will try fiddling with the
concept today, and report back.

Tony. . .

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, all!
>
> Before making another investment, I tried a somewhat newer driver and
> tried a driver update routine in Device Manager. The process quickly
> aborts with a message:
>
> There was a problem installing Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps
> USB 2.0 Network Adapter.
>
> The name is already in use as either a service name or a service
> display name.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what this means, or what I can do about
> removing the conflict? Is this referring to information in the reg. that
> can be deleted?
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Right - the wireless is up and working. Windows and Avast has updated and
Electricsheep is happily bouncing away!

That Blog, had it, spot on!

Now I need a Newsreader - I understand Thunderbird will do the job, but
since I will probably want the browser, will there be any benefit to get the
all-in-one (perhaps overloaded?) Seamonkey, or should I just make do with
the separate modules?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh! I happened onto [Roadwolf's] blogpost:
>
> http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?p=94
>
> this is close to what I had expected and I will try fiddling with the
> concept today, and report back.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, all!
>>
>> Before making another investment, I tried a somewhat newer driver and
>> tried a driver update routine in Device Manager. The process quickly
>> aborts with a message:
>>
>> There was a problem installing Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps
>> USB 2.0 Network Adapter.
>>
>> The name is already in use as either a service name or a service
>> display name.
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what this means, or what I can do about
>> removing the conflict? Is this referring to information in the reg. that
>> can be deleted?
>>

>> Tony. . .

R. C. White

Hi, Tony.

> Now I need a Newsreader

What (from your point of view) is wrong with the free and ubiquitous Windows
Live Mail?

www.download.live.com

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right - the wireless is up and working. Windows and Avast has updated and
> Electricsheep is happily bouncing away!
>
> That Blog, had it, spot on!
>
> Now I need a Newsreader - I understand Thunderbird will do the job, but
> since I will probably want the browser, will there be any benefit to get
> the all-in-one (perhaps overloaded?) Seamonkey, or should I just make do
> with the separate modules?
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oh! I happened onto [Roadwolf's] blogpost:
>>
>> http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?p=94
>>
>> this is close to what I had expected and I will try fiddling with the
>> concept today, and report back.
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, all!
>>>
>>> Before making another investment, I tried a somewhat newer driver and
>>> tried a driver update routine in Device Manager. The process quickly
>>> aborts with a message:
>>>
>>> There was a problem installing Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g
>>> 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter.
>>>
>>> The name is already in use as either a service name or a service
>>> display name.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any idea what this means, or what I can do about
>>> removing the conflict? Is this referring to information in the reg. that
>>> can be deleted?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Oh - nothing much wrong really. It's just that I noticed the disappearance
of OE generating mixed feelings and that old goats often don't like having
multiple new ideas being stacked on top of each other. Well, I generally
like to think I am intruiged by new ideas, as long as they don't replace
something barely functioning with something worse. I didn't like Vista so
being on Win7 is a new (and intruiging) experience, and the 'live' thing is
completely fresh to me, so I will pick up the challenge and try it out -
thanks RC!

Tony. . .

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Tony.
>
>> Now I need a Newsreader

> What (from your point of view) is wrong with the free and ubiquitous
> Windows Live Mail?
>
> www.download.live.com
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 RC 7100

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Right - the wireless is up and working. Windows and Avast has updated and
>> Electricsheep is happily bouncing away!
>>
>> That Blog, had it, spot on!
>>
>> Now I need a Newsreader - I understand Thunderbird will do the job, but
>> since I will probably want the browser, will there be any benefit to get
>> the all-in-one (perhaps overloaded?) Seamonkey, or should I just make do
>> with the separate modules?
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Oh! I happened onto [Roadwolf's] blogpost:
>>>
>>> http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?p=94
>>>
>>> this is close to what I had expected and I will try fiddling with the
>>> concept today, and report back.
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charles Wilson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right - the wireless is up and working. Windows and Avast has updated and
> Electricsheep is happily bouncing away!
>
> That Blog, had it, spot on!
>
> Now I need a Newsreader - I understand Thunderbird will do the job, but
> since I will probably want the browser, will there be any benefit to get
> the all-in-one (perhaps overloaded?) Seamonkey, or should I just make do
> with the separate modules?
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oh! I happened onto [Roadwolf's] blogpost:
>>
>> http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?p=94
>>
>> this is close to what I had expected and I will try fiddling with the
>> concept today, and report back.
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, all!
>>>
>>> Before making another investment, I tried a somewhat newer driver and
>>> tried a driver update routine in Device Manager. The process quickly
>>> aborts with a message:
>>>
>>> There was a problem installing Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g
>>> 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter.
>>>
>>> The name is already in use as either a service name or a service
>>> display name.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any idea what this means, or what I can do about
>>> removing the conflict? Is this referring to information in the reg. that
>>> can be deleted?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .

Give GreatNews a try http://www.curiostudio.com/

R. C. White

Hi, Tony.

We old goats can never stop learning new tricks, though, can we? Seems to
me that will be the definition of my death, because I don't plan to step off
the learning curve until then. ;^}

The "live" part of the Windows Live name has never felt "right" or very
informative to me. So I resisted everything with "Live" in its name - until
Windows Live Mail. I did like Vista, even when it was still Longhorn, so I
happily participated in the Vista beta, including the bundled Windows Mail.
I used WM until May 2007, when I jumped to the Windows Live Mail Desktop
beta - just as they were renaming things and dropping the word "Desktop"
from the name of Windows Live Mail. I've since downloaded and installed
just about all of the Windows Live Essentials, but seldom use anything
except Mail - and just enough of Messenger to Sign In.

To me, WLMail's features can be divided into about 3 groups:
1. Some parts are just like OE and feel as comfy as an old shoe.
2. Some parts are ALMOST like OE but take some getting used to; some I
like better, some not so much.
3. Some parts are entirely different from OE; again, some are better and
some need a lot of improving. (This pastel GUI has generated the most
angst; the hidden-by-default icon-less Menu Bar is close behind.)

I use only POP3 and NNTP, no Hotmail or IMAP or any such exotica. I can't
stand the web-based interface to newsgroups. I have Outlook, but seldom use
it. A decade or more ago, I tried many interfaces, starting with CompuServe
back in 1979, and progressing through The Source, GEnie, AOL, Pegasus...and
more others than I can remember. I used the original Netscape, but I
haven't even looked at the current offerings (Firefox, Thunderbird,
Mozilla - I barely know their names). I used OE from its beginning through
its final OE6.

Overall, after using WLMail for just over 2 years now, I'm pretty happy with
it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh - nothing much wrong really. It's just that I noticed the disappearance
> of OE generating mixed feelings and that old goats often don't like having
> multiple new ideas being stacked on top of each other. Well, I generally
> like to think I am intruiged by new ideas, as long as they don't replace
> something barely functioning with something worse. I didn't like Vista so
> being on Win7 is a new (and intruiging) experience, and the 'live' thing
> is completely fresh to me, so I will pick up the challenge and try it
> out - thanks RC!
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Tony.
>>
>>> Now I need a Newsreader

>> What (from your point of view) is wrong with the free and ubiquitous
>> Windows Live Mail?
>>
>> www.download.live.com
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Right - the wireless is up and working. Windows and Avast has updated
>>> and Electricsheep is happily bouncing away!
>>>
>>> That Blog, had it, spot on!
>>>
>>> Now I need a Newsreader - I understand Thunderbird will do the job, but
>>> since I will probably want the browser, will there be any benefit to get
>>> the all-in-one (perhaps overloaded?) Seamonkey, or should I just make do
>>> with the separate modules?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

I totaly agree - life is a learning process and 'learning' is what keeps
some of us going. Then again, 'new' isn't always very exiting at first. I
did find it exiting though, when you mention the hidden menu-bar. I just
noticed an absent one. Before I installed, I made sure it mentioned
newsgroups. I couldn't find it at first, but there was a painfully short
side-note about it somewhere, but when I launched the darn thing there was
nothing of that anywhere. I even used the search tool and typed 'newsgroup'
and 'microsoft public newsgroup' and 'nntp' and it returned with zero
results every time. That I find puzzling, to say the least.

So, I am back in OE right now and wishing that hidden bar will reveal
something rather more substantial when I return and un-hide it. (If that
will even help at all?)

Otherwise, it does not look bad at all, I am beginning to find it has some
interesting aspects with file and photo sharing and stuff like that. It is
bound to prove very usefull in the end I think.

One thing I found absolutely amazing is my three-disk RAID0 setup gave an
index of 2.9 when in the Vista beta it was one of the major strong points of
more than 5,5, as I remember. I shall try HDTACH on it and see what it says,
it seems to me as the SATA interface may not be fully up to par at the
moment, perhaps the updates will offer something over the next couple of
days? The RAID itself functions very well and so far I didn't notice any
performance degradation had it not been for that index score.

And thanks RC for keeping my stubborness spurred and awake.

Tony. . .