Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sending a check to a prison

Sending a check to a prison

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
a substantial amount.

How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
there could be a dishonest person in the chain.

Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.

Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
that would work.

Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
could be weeks to a month before I visit.

Googling: send a irs check to a prison
The hits are depressing.

Thanks.

--

Firework Nutshot
http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...il-771662.html

Evan Platt

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:20:14 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
>a substantial amount.
>
>How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
>opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
>there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
>
>Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
>books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
>monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
>check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
>
>Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
>that would work.
>
>Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
>could be weeks to a month before I visit.
>
>Googling: send a irs check to a prison
>The hits are depressing.

I googled send money to inmate. It looks like a few places (jpay.com ,
even western union) ...
http://www.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB...osQuickCollect

A check may be the cheapest. And if someone else cashes it, that's
fraud.

I have no experience with this, but maybe s0Omeone here does, I won't
name any names.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
> a substantial amount.

If I were a person in prison, I would have a person who wasn't in prison,
even a layman, have 'power of attorney' -- where in this context that so
empowered person would be such as a layman 'attorney in fact'; or some
people who are in prison have an actual attorney at law who has some
powers for them. One can also have power of 'attorney of finance' which
empowers that person to execute financial dealings.

Then, the next question would be whether the prisoner has any kind of
outside financial accounts or holdings, such as bank account, trading
account to which the check could be deposited.

The prisoner is going to have no 'use' for a financial instrument such as
a check in most prisons and is also going to have no use for a financial
instrument such as cash in a lot of others.

--
Mike Easter

doS

are you your moms beneficairy?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
> a substantial amount.
>
> How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
> opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
> there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
>
> Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
> books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
> monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
> check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
>
> Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
> that would work.
>
> Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
> could be weeks to a month before I visit.
>
> Googling: send a irs check to a prison
> The hits are depressing.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
>
> Firework Nutshot
> http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...il-771662.html

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One can also have power of 'attorney of finance' which
>empowers that person to execute financial dealings.

>Then, the next question would be whether the prisoner has any kind of
>outside financial accounts or holdings, such as bank account, trading
>account to which the check could be deposited.

Oh, no. All of the above is true, but this person has no finances, or
monies to be monitored by someone else, except that mentioned below.

>The prisoner is going to have no 'use' for a financial instrument such as
>a check in most prisons and is also going to have no use for a financial
>instrument such as cash in a lot of others.

They can purchase themselves a 13" T.V. which they can have in their
cell/room - he wants one as soon as possible. The bulk of the check he
will be placed in his grandparents account - again tho he is going to
hit that high interest rate.

When I go visit him, if I were to give him money, there is an ATM
which would cost me $5 just to use it, and to give him money it must
be deposited via the ATM.
--

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>are you your moms beneficairy?

One of them. She is 76 years old and a member of the local ski club,
so she ski's someplace in the U.S. about every other weekend.

Not skiing, she's dancing.

She's going to out live us all.

--

R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
>a substantial amount.
>
>How would one make sure this person received the check?

Ok, came up with this.

Three of his relatives will be at the post office, everybody will see
the check inserted into the envelope, mailed (no magic tricks :] )
and sent certified.

Is the best I could hope for. I printed a letter for him, I penciled
in what we have done, so it stands out.

Tried to talk to a lawyer but mine wasn't available.

Thanks for the replies.

--

R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

richard

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:20:14 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
>a substantial amount.
>
>How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
>opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
>there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
>
>Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
>books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
>monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
>check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
>
>Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
>that would work.
>
>Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
>could be weeks to a month before I visit.
>
>Googling: send a irs check to a prison
>The hits are depressing.
>
>Thanks.

If the friend has a bank account, take it to the bank, mark it, "For
deposit only", and put it in his account.

doS

holy cow, thats cool

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>are you your moms beneficairy?

> One of them. She is 76 years old and a member of the local ski club,
> so she ski's someplace in the U.S. about every other weekend.
>
> Not skiing, she's dancing.
>
> She's going to out live us all.
>
> --
>
> R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

Barry OGrady

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:06:08 -0700, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
>> a substantial amount.
>>
>> How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
>> opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
>> there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
>>
>> Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
>> books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
>> monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
>> check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
>>
>> Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
>> that would work.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
>> could be weeks to a month before I visit.
>>
>> Googling: send a irs check to a prison
>> The hits are depressing.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Why not ask the prison warden? They should know.

Prisoners get checks anyway. Presumably he meant cheque.

> Bill
>--

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

prison C Lee Computer Support 42 07-30-2007 12:13 PM
Germany passes law that imposes 2 year prison sentence for illegal downloading. Useful Info DVD Video 13 05-20-2007 02:09 PM
Prison for Virus makers Slarty Bartfast MCSE 5 09-10-2004 09:43 PM
Good Luck In Prison !!! Paul Lynch MCSE 2 04-01-2004 04:19 PM

Advertisments