Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How many devices can I safely connect to power strip?

How many devices can I safely connect to power strip?

M.L.

After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).

What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
overloading it? Thanks.

Mike Yetto

Bada bing M.L <(E-Mail Removed)> bada bang:

> After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
> surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
> Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
>
> What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
> many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
> overloading it? Thanks.

Count the number of plugs and stop at six. If there is a circuit
breaker incorporated into the strip it will trip at about the
same current level as your home.

Yes, that was glib, but fairly accurate. If it is a UPS then
you can plug in the most neccessary devices to the uninteruptible
plugs to maximize the time they'll run on the UPS battery.

Mike "for a surge protector, see the glib answer." Yetto
--
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
- William of Ockham

richard

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:48:52 -0500, M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
>surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
>Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
>
>What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
>many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
>overloading it? Thanks.

Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
outlet box.
Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.

As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
rated at 200 watts or less.

Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:38:49 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
>outlet box.

Cite.

>Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.

Again? Cite.

Oh... I should never argue with a master electrician such as yourself.

I mean, you had a CB license. How could anyone ever compete with that?

Ob "Get Richard to drop from thread:

Oh, I'm still waiting for some ... link, or anything, to back up your
claims of 300 people sharing the same IP address (IP Share I believe
you called it?) And no, you didn't mean NAT."

>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
>rated at 200 watts or less.
>
>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

Electrical advice from Richard. I don't even know where to begin.

hwf

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
> surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
> Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
>
> What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
> many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to

avoid
> overloading it? Thanks.

42

HTH

M.L.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies.

>>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
>>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
>>outlet box.

My UPS is plugged into a single socket of a double socket outlet. Does
the 13 amp restriction apply to the sum of both sockets, or each
socket?

>>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
>>rated at 200 watts or less.
>>
>>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

Just to be safest, I'll follow the most conservative load presented
here. I've noticed that some adapter bricks don't show the wattage
though.

richard

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:51:41 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:38:49 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
>>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
>>outlet box.

>Cite.
>
>>Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.

>Again? Cite.

Evan, you want a cite? Call up your local building inspectors
department and ask them.

Can you show me any single electronic device designed for 120v that is
rated at greater than 1500 watts? What's 13 times 120? That's why
there aint' none.

Some areas will allow up to 20 amps per outlet. That's why you should
contact your local building code department to know for sure.

>Oh... I should never argue with a master electrician such as yourself.

I never said I was. But you always claim you know everything there is
to know. Yet, can't solve your own problem.

>I mean, you had a CB license. How could anyone ever compete with that?
>
>Ob "Get Richard to drop from thread:
>
>Oh, I'm still waiting for some ... link, or anything, to back up your
>claims of 300 people sharing the same IP address (IP Share I believe
>you called it?) And no, you didn't mean NAT."
>
>>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
>>rated at 200 watts or less.
>>
>>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

>Electrical advice from Richard. I don't even know where to begin.

Evan, you go right ahead and plug in to all the plugs on that outlet
box with each item rated at 20 amps and do be sure to have the phone
handy so you can call the fire department.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:52:38 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I never said I was. But you always claim you know everything there is
>to know.

I never said I knew everything. Just more than you. I'll admit when
there's things I don't know, which is why I asked for postfix help.

>Yet, can't solve your own problem.

Speaking of solving your own problem... How's that *nix box coming
along? Oh, I'm sorry, that's right. You couldn't handle anything
without pretty pictures, so had to have Windows 2000 put on it.

And where's your documentation on IP Sharing?

This is, as usual, where you drop out of the thread, as you have the
last dozen or so times I've asked, richtard. Or is that chuckard?

Desk Rabbit

richard wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:48:52 -0500, M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
>> surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
>> Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
>>
>> What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
>> many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
>> overloading it? Thanks.

> Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
> wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
> outlet box.
> Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.
>
> As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
> rated at 200 watts or less.

So you would advocate loading a 200W UPS with a load of 1Kw?

I don't think I'll take advice from you for anything electrical.

richard

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:40:40 -0500, M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies.
>
>>>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
>>>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
>>>outlet box.

>My UPS is plugged into a single socket of a double socket outlet. Does
>the 13 amp restriction apply to the sum of both sockets, or each
>socket?

Dual sockets are generally a convenience feature. Both are usually fed
from a single line into the box. However, there could be two feed
lines. For that you'd have to pull the box open and look. When I use
a multioutlet box, I usually don't plug anything else into the other
socket except for something that uses less than 2 amps or so.

>>>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
>>>rated at 200 watts or less.
>>>
>>>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

>Just to be safest, I'll follow the most conservative load presented
>here. I've noticed that some adapter bricks don't show the wattage
>though.

A good guide would be to look at the fuse rating. Amps times volts
equals watts. So a 3 amp fuse would handle 360 watts.