Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Recommend VoIP phone (SIP)

Recommend VoIP phone (SIP)

Chris Davies

Hi folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.

At home I have a Sipura SPA3102 (rebadged as Linksys) ATA with an
analogue phone plugged in to that, so I'm fairly comfortable with the
Sipura configuration process.

Hwoever, I have a colleague in USA for whom I need to provide some form
of VoIP service for his home office. We've agreed that a softphone won't
suffice. He does not have a "real" phone line (just broadband/cable
service) and I'd like to avoid clocking up large numbers of international
call minutes on his mobile phone if at all possible.

If he had a POTS phone in his house I would have seriously considered
another SPA3102. But he doesn't, so it seems to me to make more sense to
get a VoIP phone rather than an ATA and phone as two pieces of equipment.

My initial preference would be for a Sipura product, but if the
configuration is any easier on something else, I'm open to suggestions.

I think the requirements are
- must work in USA
- locked
- can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
- can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
- has some form of routing dialplan

Any thoughts, please?

Cheers,
Chris

TheFug@domain.invalid

Chris Davies schreef:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.
>
> At home I have a Sipura SPA3102 (rebadged as Linksys) ATA with an
> analogue phone plugged in to that, so I'm fairly comfortable with the
> Sipura configuration process.
>
> Hwoever, I have a colleague in USA for whom I need to provide some form
> of VoIP service for his home office. We've agreed that a softphone won't
> suffice. He does not have a "real" phone line (just broadband/cable
> service) and I'd like to avoid clocking up large numbers of international
> call minutes on his mobile phone if at all possible.
>
> If he had a POTS phone in his house I would have seriously considered
> another SPA3102. But he doesn't, so it seems to me to make more sense to
> get a VoIP phone rather than an ATA and phone as two pieces of equipment.
>
> My initial preference would be for a Sipura product, but if the
> configuration is any easier on something else, I'm open to suggestions.
>
> I think the requirements are
> - must work in USA
> - locked
> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
> - has some form of routing dialplan
>
> Any thoughts, please?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I guess any IP phone will do,(cisco,Grandstream, etc...) setup a
free/paid voip account, or more, and manage this with
Mysipswitch,(dialplan) this service has many options, and is also free.
Another option would be a Siemens Gigaset DECT IP phone, (if available
in US) easy to setup, expandable up to 6 handsets DECT uses the GAP
protocol, so other brand handsets can also be used.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.
>
>At home I have a Sipura SPA3102 (rebadged as Linksys) ATA with an
>analogue phone plugged in to that, so I'm fairly comfortable with the
>Sipura configuration process.
>
>Hwoever, I have a colleague in USA for whom I need to provide some form
>of VoIP service for his home office. We've agreed that a softphone won't
>suffice. He does not have a "real" phone line (just broadband/cable
>service) and I'd like to avoid clocking up large numbers of international
>call minutes on his mobile phone if at all possible.
>
>If he had a POTS phone in his house I would have seriously considered
>another SPA3102. But he doesn't, so it seems to me to make more sense to
>get a VoIP phone rather than an ATA and phone as two pieces of equipment.
>
>My initial preference would be for a Sipura product, but if the
>configuration is any easier on something else, I'm open to suggestions.
>
>I think the requirements are
> - must work in USA
> - locked
> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
> - has some form of routing dialplan
>
>Any thoughts, please?

Apart from the last requirement, Grandstream phones would fit the
bill. (however, I've noticed something called a "dialplan" in the newer
software releases, but as yet, no documentation...

Locking them would involve changing the default password.

At their simplest - a GXP2000 has 4 SIP accounts - you might program
it so that "Push Line 1" for calls to me, Line 2 for calls to the UK,
etc. with line 1 being Sipgate, Line 2 betamax, ...

The 2000's have 7 function keys that can act as speed dials and be locked
to a particular line (account) too. That may simplify things.

The issue with all phones will the the power supply - You'll need a US
style 5V adapter... I'm sure that for economy reasons the ones that
come with the UK grandstreams are 230V only... Hm, I've just checked -
100-240V, 50/60Hz, so it would work, but need a travel plug if setting
up here, then posting to the US.

Grandstreams come in for a lot of stick though, but I've deployed a few
100 of them and all are going well. Had 2 PSUs blow up though. I get
mine from VoipOn, but I notice ProVu are stocking them now too.

Gordon

Soruk

On 2009-06-23, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chris Davies schreef:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.

[snip]
>> I think the requirements are
>> - must work in USA
>> - locked
>> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
>> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
>> - has some form of routing dialplan

> I guess any IP phone will do,(cisco,Grandstream, etc...) setup a
> free/paid voip account, or more, and manage this with
> Mysipswitch,(dialplan) this service has many options, and is also free.

Mysipswitch and Betamax (e.g. smslisto.com) don't mix.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

Chris Davies

Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think the requirements are
> - must work in USA
> - locked

Arrggh. That should be NOT LOCKED

> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
> - has some form of routing dialplan

> Any thoughts, please?

Duh!
Chris

Paul Hayes

Chris Davies wrote:
> Hi folks,

[snip]

> I think the requirements are
> - must work in USA
> - locked
> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
> - has some form of routing dialplan
>
> Any thoughts, please?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something
I've really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.

Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...

It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have
basic PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA
version, they are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL
modem part and use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....

Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything
to do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of
which ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any
on the phone make it ring).

cheers,
Paul.

TheFug@domain.invalid

Soruk schreef:
> On 2009-06-23, (E-Mail Removed)lid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Chris Davies schreef:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.

> [snip]
>>> I think the requirements are
>>> - must work in USA
>>> - locked
>>> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
>>> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
>>> - has some form of routing dialplan

>> I guess any IP phone will do,(cisco,Grandstream, etc...) setup a
>> free/paid voip account, or more, and manage this with
>> Mysipswitch,(dialplan) this service has many options, and is also free.

> Mysipswitch and Betamax (e.g. smslisto.com) don't mix.

With Voxalot in between people could make it work,
and FUP wasn't touched, there are some post on the MSS forums about
this, from the users there.
It's a feature (with Voxalot), which is not on the "support agenda of
the MSS crew"

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

TheFug@domain.invalid

Paul Hayes schreef:
> Chris Davies wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>

> [snip]
>>
>> I think the requirements are
>> - must work in USA
>> - locked
>> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
>> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
>> - has some form of routing dialplan
>>
>> Any thoughts, please?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris

> Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
> those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something
> I've really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.
>
> Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
> phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
> numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
> another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...
>
> It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have
> basic PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA
> version, they are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL
> modem part and use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....
>
> Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
> barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything
> to do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of
> which ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any
> on the phone make it ring).
>
> cheers,
> Paul.

An other advantage of using a Dect IP set is, that it's not an ATA !
sometimes, an analog telephone, can give problems with the ATA,
because of the sound feedback it gives, which causes no problems on a
normal landline/situation, sometimes the phone of the callee could also
cause this in the ATA, also, some of the ATA's have a build in
router,(SPA3201) which gives problems when used behind a firewall/router
Most of the Fritz!boxes suffer from bad software/firmware, which need
constant attention for this, (I once had one myself ...)
For 70 Euro there's already the 301 D for sale, from Siemens,
This is a base station only, you can choose handsets (up to 6) of your
own choice.
With a service like Mysipswitch, Voxalot, or PBXes.org you can manage
your dialplan, this function isn't "baked" into most hardware,
if any, then it's very limited.
Checkout my dialplan, http://www.mysipswitch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
It looks complicated, but it isn't, there's a Ruby dialplan wizard you
can start with, as time goes by something beautifull will grow ....

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Graham.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a44f711$0$28141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul Hayes schreef:
>> Chris Davies wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>

>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I think the requirements are
>>> - must work in USA
>>> - locked
>>> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
>>> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
>>> - has some form of routing dialplan
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, please?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris

>> Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
>> those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something I've
>> really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.
>>
>> Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
>> phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
>> numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
>> another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...
>>
>> It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have basic
>> PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA version, they
>> are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL modem part and
>> use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....
>>
>> Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
>> barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything to
>> do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of which
>> ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any on the
>> phone make it ring).
>>
>> cheers,
>> Paul.
>>

> An other advantage of using a Dect IP set is, that it's not an ATA !
> sometimes, an analog telephone, can give problems with the ATA,
> because of the sound feedback it gives, which causes no problems on a
> normal landline/situation, sometimes the phone of the callee could also
> cause this in the ATA, also, some of the ATA's have a build in
> router,(SPA3201) which gives problems when used behind a firewall/router
> Most of the Fritz!boxes suffer from bad software/firmware, which need
> constant attention for this, (I once had one myself ...)
> For 70 Euro there's already the 301 D for sale, from Siemens,
> This is a base station only, you can choose handsets (up to 6) of your own
> choice.
> With a service like Mysipswitch, Voxalot, or PBXes.org you can manage your
> dialplan, this function isn't "baked" into most hardware,
> if any, then it's very limited.
> Checkout my dialplan,
> http://www.mysipswitch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
> It looks complicated, but it isn't, there's a Ruby dialplan wizard you can
> start with, as time goes by something beautifull will grow ....

I "discovered" Ruby scripting yesterday, seems very powerful. I need to make
some time to investigate this further.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

TheFug@domain.invalid

Graham. schreef:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4a44f711$0$28141$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Paul Hayes schreef:
>>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
>>> those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something I've
>>> really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.
>>>
>>> Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
>>> phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
>>> numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
>>> another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...
>>>
>>> It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have basic
>>> PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA version, they
>>> are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL modem part and
>>> use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....
>>>
>>> Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
>>> barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything to
>>> do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of which
>>> ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any on the
>>> phone make it ring).
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Paul.
>>>

>> An other advantage of using a Dect IP set is, that it's not an ATA !
>> sometimes, an analog telephone, can give problems with the ATA,
>> because of the sound feedback it gives, which causes no problems on a
>> normal landline/situation, sometimes the phone of the callee could also
>> cause this in the ATA, also, some of the ATA's have a build in
>> router,(SPA3201) which gives problems when used behind a firewall/router
>> Most of the Fritz!boxes suffer from bad software/firmware, which need
>> constant attention for this, (I once had one myself ...)
>> For 70 Euro there's already the 301 D for sale, from Siemens,
>> This is a base station only, you can choose handsets (up to 6) of your own
>> choice.
>> With a service like Mysipswitch, Voxalot, or PBXes.org you can manage your
>> dialplan, this function isn't "baked" into most hardware,
>> if any, then it's very limited.
>> Checkout my dialplan,
>> http://www.mysipswitch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
>> It looks complicated, but it isn't, there's a Ruby dialplan wizard you can
>> start with, as time goes by something beautifull will grow ....

> I "discovered" Ruby scripting yesterday, seems very powerful. I need to make
> some time to investigate this further.

You don't need to know it from ground level, you only use what you need,
if you compare, it looks a bit like Asterisk, but you can do more with it.
The only thing is, Mysipswitch isnt betamax friendly, you have to use
Voxalot in combination, to have the FUP in good working order.
Also, the people at Blueface do the Mysipswitch/Sipsorcery as a extra,
alongside their original, normal Blueface work, and it's open software,
so you can get involved, to develop it even more, report bugs, or ask
for extra features.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.