Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Advice needed: putting an existing drive into a new barebones desktop PC

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Advice needed: putting an existing drive into a new barebones desktop PC

 
 
Rhino
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2009
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:11:31 +1200, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
>desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor, memory,
>dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
>simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video drivers,
>TV tuner etc.
>
>I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of getting
>everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop, favourites
>etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
>present. OS is XP SP3.
>
>I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
>there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of XP)?
>
>The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with all
>data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
>icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
>increase - but nothing else.


I have done this several times with various versions of Windows. The
following works without problems:

1. Make sure that you have drivers from the motherboard vendor
(including NIC.)
2. D/L latest drivers for your video card and any other addon
cards and devices(if transferring) on the old box and save to h/d.
3. Swap the hard drive and any other devices to new box.
4. Boot windows into safe mode and open the device manager.
5. Expand the tree and remove all items under System Devices.
6. Remove any other cd/dvd devices, modems and all old NICs etc.
7. Install the supplied motherboard drivers and reboot.
8. Windows should install all new motherboard drivers.
9. If you have transferred video card, driver will be functional,
if not install new driver.
10. Install remaining new drivers and do a final reboot.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2009
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:37:57 +1200, Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:11:31 +1200, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
>>desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor, memory,
>>dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
>>simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video drivers,
>>TV tuner etc.
>>
>>I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of getting
>>everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop, favourites
>>etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
>>present. OS is XP SP3.
>>
>>I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
>>there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of XP)?
>>
>>The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with all
>>data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
>>icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
>>increase - but nothing else.

>
>I have done this several times with various versions of Windows. The
>following works without problems:
>
>1. Make sure that you have drivers from the motherboard vendor
>(including NIC.)
>2. D/L latest drivers for your video card and any other addon
>cards and devices(if transferring) on the old box and save to h/d.
>3. Swap the hard drive and any other devices to new box.
>4. Boot windows into safe mode and open the device manager.
>5. Expand the tree and remove all items under System Devices.
>6. Remove any other cd/dvd devices, modems and all old NICs etc.
>7. Install the supplied motherboard drivers and reboot.
>8. Windows should install all new motherboard drivers.
>9. If you have transferred video card, driver will be functional,
>if not install new driver.
>10. Install remaining new drivers and do a final reboot.




Its a lot more than installing new drivers that's the Simple bit its the HAL
that has to be updated..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:22:17 +1200, Reg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:28:48 +1200, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:37:57 +1200, Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:11:31 +1200, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
>>>>desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor, memory,
>>>>dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
>>>>simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video drivers,
>>>>TV tuner etc.
>>>>
>>>>I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of getting
>>>>everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop, favourites
>>>>etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
>>>>present. OS is XP SP3.
>>>>
>>>>I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
>>>>there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of XP)?
>>>>
>>>>The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with all
>>>>data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
>>>>icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
>>>>increase - but nothing else.
>>>
>>>I have done this several times with various versions of Windows. The
>>>following works without problems:
>>>
>>>1. Make sure that you have drivers from the motherboard vendor
>>>(including NIC.)
>>>2. D/L latest drivers for your video card and any other addon
>>>cards and devices(if transferring) on the old box and save to h/d.
>>>3. Swap the hard drive and any other devices to new box.
>>>4. Boot windows into safe mode and open the device manager.
>>>5. Expand the tree and remove all items under System Devices.
>>>6. Remove any other cd/dvd devices, modems and all old NICs etc.
>>>7. Install the supplied motherboard drivers and reboot.
>>>8. Windows should install all new motherboard drivers.
>>>9. If you have transferred video card, driver will be functional,
>>>if not install new driver.
>>>10. Install remaining new drivers and do a final reboot.

>>
>>
>>
>>Its a lot more than installing new drivers that's the Simple bit its the HAL
>>that has to be updated.

>
>Surely the HAL is taken care of when you install the drivers that come
>with the motherboard ? I am assuming that must have been the case when
>in my ignorance I simply put an old drive in a new box and did nothing
>else but run the CD that came with it.



The HAL is generated when you install the OS has nothing at all to do with any
Drivers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:

> The HAL is generated when you install the OS has nothing at all to do with
> any Drivers.


"HAL" stands for "Hardware Abstraction Layer". Surely anything that involves
"abstraction" of hardware must depend on the drivers for that hardware?

Or is this yet another case of Conway's Law brain damage in the (mis)design
of Dimdows?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:05:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>
>> The HAL is generated when you install the OS has nothing at all to do with
>> any Drivers.

>
>"HAL" stands for "Hardware Abstraction Layer". Surely anything that involves
>"abstraction" of hardware must depend on the drivers for that hardware?
>
>Or is this yet another case of Conway's Law brain damage in the (mis)design
>of Dimdows?




Its for the chipser driver that part of the mobo and setup when windows is
installed, there are Not external drivers, go read the MS info that I posted
the link to..

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:05:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>>
>>> The HAL is generated when you install the OS has nothing at all to do
>>> with any Drivers.

>>
>>"HAL" stands for "Hardware Abstraction Layer". Surely anything that
>>involves "abstraction" of hardware must depend on the drivers for that
>>hardware?
>>
>>Or is this yet another case of Conway's Law brain damage in the
>>(mis)design of Dimdows?

>
> Its for the chipser driver that part of the mobo and setup when windows is
> installed, there are Not external drivers ...


Backing down from your claim that this has "nothing at all to do with any
drivers"?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:59:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:05:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>>>
>>>> The HAL is generated when you install the OS has nothing at all to do
>>>> with any Drivers.
>>>
>>>"HAL" stands for "Hardware Abstraction Layer". Surely anything that
>>>involves "abstraction" of hardware must depend on the drivers for that
>>>hardware?
>>>
>>>Or is this yet another case of Conway's Law brain damage in the
>>>(mis)design of Dimdows?

>>
>> Its for the chipser driver that part of the mobo and setup when windows is
>> installed, there are Not external drivers ...

>
>Backing down from your claim that this has "nothing at all to do with any
>drivers"?




I am not backing down at all these are Drivers that you do Not install they
are done by Windows for the MoBo chipset's when you install windows its
totally automatic..

Its the Type of HALL that use go read the MS article that I posted and come
back and get on your knees and say sorry Master Woger.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:59:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:05:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>>
>>>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> The HAL is generated when you install the OS has nothing at all to do
>>>>> with any Drivers.
>>>>
>>>>"HAL" stands for "Hardware Abstraction Layer". Surely anything that
>>>>involves "abstraction" of hardware must depend on the drivers for that
>>>>hardware?
>>>>
>>>>Or is this yet another case of Conway's Law brain damage in the
>>>>(mis)design of Dimdows?
>>>
>>> Its for the chipser driver that part of the mobo and setup when windows
>>> is installed, there are Not external drivers ...

>>
>>Backing down from your claim that this has "nothing at all to do with any
>>drivers"?

>
> I am not backing down at all these are Drivers that you do Not install ...


But you said previously this "has nothing at all to do with any drivers".

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Advice needed: putting an existing drive into a new barebones desktop PC Alan NZ Computing 6 06-25-2009 05:52 AM
FIC Ice Cube HU61 Barebones @ ThinkComputers.org Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-21-2005 09:07 PM
How can I do a barebones version of a source file? Miguel Farah Java 3 08-24-2004 08:08 AM
Difference between putting code in constructor and putting code in static{} Saurabh Java 6 05-30-2004 02:44 PM
Barebones Computer Questions gveoa Computer Support 6 09-01-2003 08:46 PM



Advertisments