Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Alternatives to digidesgin's protools

Alternatives to digidesgin's protools

thingy

Any recommendations?

regards

victor

thingy wrote:
> Any recommendations?
>
> regards

Steinberg Nuendo
MOTU Digital Performer
Adobe Audition
Fruityloops
Ableton Live
Logic Pro
Samplitude
Cakewalk Sonar
Ardour
Audacity

What OS?
What do you want to do ?

thingy

On Jun 23, 9:03*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thingy wrote:
> > Any recommendations?

> > regards

> Steinberg Nuendo
> MOTU Digital Performer
> Adobe Audition
> Fruityloops
> Ableton Live
> Logic Pro
> Samplitude
> Cakewalk Sonar
> Ardour
> Audacity

Thanks...

> What OS?
> What do you want to do ?

Audacity isnt the same thing as Protools....I use Audacity now for
recording....Acid and Sound Forge seems alternatives...to Pro-tools...

I'd like (in fact pretty much insist on) compatibility between Vista
and MAC OSX....ie an application that can be used on either and is
largely similar on both platforms....just move the USB/fwire
hardware....so the hardware (if any) also needs to be both Mac and x86
compatible.... I have a vista laptop and an iMac....and will get a
newer iMac at some stage.....

More along the lines of creating, and editing digital audio files,
than simply recording...something thats easy to use and has good
tutorials / manuals...Acid Pro looks a good bet..........if possible/
practical something I can "drive" with/from the Roland....There is a
free Acid xpress so I will start there I think...

Thanks....

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy
wrote:

> Any recommendations?

Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
Society.

thing

On Jun 23, 11:22*am, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 9:03*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > thingy wrote:
> > > Any recommendations?

> > > regards

> > Steinberg Nuendo
> > MOTU Digital Performer
> > Adobe Audition
> > Fruityloops
> > Ableton Live
> > Logic Pro
> > Samplitude
> > Cakewalk Sonar
> > Ardour
> > Audacity

> Thanks...
>
> > What OS?
> > What do you want to do ?

> Audacity isnt the same thing as Protools....I use Audacity now for
> recording....Acid and Sound Forge seems alternatives...to Pro-tools...
>
> I'd like (in fact pretty much insist on) compatibility between Vista
> and MAC OSX....ie an application that can be used on either and is
> largely similar on both platforms....just move the USB/fwire
> hardware....so the hardware (if any) also needs to be both Mac and x86
> compatible.... *I have a vista laptop and an iMac....and will get a
> newer iMac at some stage.....
>
> More along the lines of creating, and editing digital audio files,
> than simply recording...something thats easy to use and has good
> tutorials / manuals...Acid Pro looks a good bet..........if possible/
> practical something I can "drive" with/from the Roland....There is a
> free Acid xpress so I will start there I think...
>
> Thanks....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Ardour looks neat...

thing

On Jun 23, 3:17*pm, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > thingy wrote:

> >> Any recommendations?

> > Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
> > Society.

> Ardour is a lame toy.
>
> What platform do you (OT) want to run an 'alternive to Profools' on ? And
> for what purpose - audio, video, midi, all ?
>
> geoff

audio, midi, no video....

Acid xpress/pro looks neat...Ive downloaded both to have a
look....xpress might be good enough to start with.

Ideally Vista on a laptop and OSX 10.4+ on an iMac...I have Pro-tools
5.2LE for OS9 and it is a nightmare to use and my partner has lost the
key anyway....so Im stuffed that was a wasted $1500...I am also
reluctant to be locked to specific hardware....unless the hardware is
cheap eg berhinger's USB powered uac2xx module...

regards

Thing

victor

thingy wrote:
> On Jun 23, 9:03 am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> thingy wrote:
>>> Any recommendations?
>>> regards

>> Steinberg Nuendo
>> MOTU Digital Performer
>> Adobe Audition
>> Fruityloops
>> Ableton Live
>> Logic Pro
>> Samplitude
>> Cakewalk Sonar
>> Ardour
>> Audacity

> Thanks...
>
>> What OS?
>> What do you want to do ?

> Audacity isnt the same thing as Protools....I use Audacity now for
> recording....Acid and Sound Forge seems alternatives...to Pro-tools...
>
> I'd like (in fact pretty much insist on) compatibility between Vista
> and MAC OSX....ie an application that can be used on either and is
> largely similar on both platforms....just move the USB/fwire
> hardware....so the hardware (if any) also needs to be both Mac and x86
> compatible.... I have a vista laptop and an iMac....and will get a
> newer iMac at some stage.....
>
> More along the lines of creating, and editing digital audio files,
> than simply recording...something thats easy to use and has good
> tutorials / manuals...Acid Pro looks a good bet..........if possible/
> practical something I can "drive" with/from the Roland....There is a
> free Acid xpress so I will start there I think...
>
> Thanks....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Good choice.
Ableton Live is available for both platforms and is definitely the most
fun if you tend towards composing remixing and djing, using midi
keyboards and pad controls etc

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> thingy wrote:
>>
>>> Any recommendations?

>> Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
>> Society.

> Ardour is a lame toy.

Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
has no equivalent in Windows.

dawhead

On Jun 23, 5:49*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff wrote:
>
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> >> In message
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
> >> Society.

> > Ardour is a lame toy.

> Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
> has no equivalent in Windows.

Not entirely correct.

1) Ardour has been funded at various times by:

Solid State Logic
SAE (not the same as AES)
<another anonymous but very well known audio tech company>

2) We/I have also collaborated with Harrison Consoles in their XDubber
product (which essentially *is* Ardour) and a future release that will
be appearing soon.

3) JACK itself is available for Windows, OS X, Linux, and the BSD
family of operating systems. On Windows, any application that can use
ASIO can interact with JACK to share audio data with other JACK
clients and/or the audio interface hardware. The same is true on OS X,
substituting CoreAudio for ASIO (and adding the capability to exchange
MIDI).

4) Ardour is not a lame toy. Like all DAWs, it has its own strengths
and its own weaknesses. For contemporary pop production, with an
emphasis on looping, time/pitch FX, and so forth, its almost certainly
not the tool of choice at this point in time. Similarly, if MIDI plays
a role in your workflow beyond control and timecode, Ardour is not
useful to you. On the other hand, if you are involved in more
traditional engineering workflows such as jazz/classical/folk
recording, where the "fix it in the mix" approach is less rampant, or
alternatively are involved in contemporary experimental music with a
focus on multichannel that isn't constrained by commercial technology
like 5.1, then Ardour could be an extremely useful and valuable tool
for you.

Paul Davis
Ardour/JACK

thingy

On Jun 23, 9:49*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff wrote:
>
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> >> In message
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
> >> Society.

> > Ardour is a lame toy.

> Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
> has no equivalent in Windows.

In which case its no good for my use...Windows is essential......

regards

Thing

BGP alternatives? SP Cisco 3 09-08-2009 02:32 AM
LEAP & ACS Alternatives N. Hall Cisco 2 05-28-2005 08:31 AM
XP SP2 breaks ProTools David Preece NZ Computing 4 09-10-2004 11:53 PM
MS Press 2003 books and alternatives Bill Bixby MCSE 7 04-29-2004 05:52 PM
alternatives to accessing PIX via Telnet Anne Robynn Cisco 3 01-03-2004 08:48 AM

Advertisments