Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > MemoryError c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error (Psycopg2)

MemoryError c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error (Psycopg2)

Luis P. Mendes

Hi,

I have a program that uses a lot of resources: memory and cpu but it
never returned this error before with other loads:

"""
MemoryError
c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error: psyco cannot recover from the
error above
Aborted
"""
The last time I checked physical RAM while the script was running, it was
used in about 75% and there is no reason (based in other runs of the
program) for it to surpass 80% (maximum).

$ python -V
Python 2.5.2

Pyscopg2 is version 2.0.8

I use Linux, Kernel 2.6.24.5-smp #2 SMP
with a Core2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz and 3GB of RAM

I could not find this error. What does this mean?

Is this a bug of Python? of Psycopg2?

Luis

Lie Ryan

Luis P. Mendes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a program that uses a lot of resources: memory and cpu but it
> never returned this error before with other loads:
>
> """
> MemoryError
> c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error: psyco cannot recover from the
> error above
> Aborted
> """
> The last time I checked physical RAM while the script was running, it was
> used in about 75% and there is no reason (based in other runs of the
> program) for it to surpass 80% (maximum).
>
> $ python -V
> Python 2.5.2
>
> Pyscopg2 is version 2.0.8
>
> I use Linux, Kernel 2.6.24.5-smp #2 SMP
> with a Core2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz and 3GB of RAM
>
> I could not find this error. What does this mean?
>
> Is this a bug of Python? of Psycopg2?
>
> Luis

Have you tried running without psyco? Psyco increases memory usage quite
significantly.

If it runs well without psyco, you can try looking at your code and
selectively psyco parts that need the speed boost the most.

Luis P. Mendes

Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:04:59 +0000, Lie Ryan escreveu:

> Luis P. Mendes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a program that uses a lot of resources: memory and cpu but it
>> never returned this error before with other loads:
>>
>> """
>> MemoryError
>> c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error: psyco cannot recover from the
>> error above
>> Aborted
>> """
>> The last time I checked physical RAM while the script was running, it
>> was used in about 75% and there is no reason (based in other runs of
>> the program) for it to surpass 80% (maximum).
>>
>> $ python -V
>> Python 2.5.2
>>
>> Pyscopg2 is version 2.0.8
>>
>> I use Linux, Kernel 2.6.24.5-smp #2 SMP with a Core2 CPU T5500 @
>> 1.66GHz and 3GB of RAM
>>
>> I could not find this error. What does this mean?
>>
>> Is this a bug of Python? of Psycopg2?
>>
>> Luis

> Have you tried running without psyco? Psyco increases memory usage quite
> significantly.
>
> If it runs well without psyco, you can try looking at your code and
> selectively psyco parts that need the speed boost the most.

I really need Psyco (use version 1.6 - forgot to mention earlier) to
speed up the code.
The part that consumes more memory is the one that needs Psyco the most.

Luis

Lie Ryan

Luis P. Mendes wrote:
> Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:04:59 +0000, Lie Ryan escreveu:
>> Have you tried running without psyco? Psyco increases memory usage quite
>> significantly.
>>
>> If it runs well without psyco, you can try looking at your code and
>> selectively psyco parts that need the speed boost the most.

> I really need Psyco (use version 1.6 - forgot to mention earlier) to
> speed up the code.
> The part that consumes more memory is the one that needs Psyco the most.

Yeah, but try running without psyco first and see if the problem is
really caused by psyco. If it still produces an error, then we can rule
out psyco as the root cause of the problem.

Selective psyco-ing can reduce the amount of memory psyco uses and may
just be slightly slower than full boosting (and sometimes it may
actually become faster in memory constrained situation as less swapping
is needed).