Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > phones on trademe

phones on trademe

thingy

Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
$349...

Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?

The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....

So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?

regards

Thing

Woger

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:39:36 -0700 (PDT), thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
>the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
>tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
>$349...
>
>Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
>literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
>batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?
>
>The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
>iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....
>
>So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?
>
>regards
>
>Thing

You are Joking..?

Yes you buy it get it home and it does not work, so what now.?

Go for a brand Not junk, Plus do you really need all those Costly 3G features
that you will never use..

thingy

On Jun 21, 11:55*am, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:39:36 -0700 (PDT), thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
> >the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
> >tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
> >$349...

> >Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
> >literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
> >batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?

> >The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
> >iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....

> >So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?

> >regards

> >Thing

> You are Joking..?

Usual shoot from the hip, Woger......some of these sellers have
several hundreds of positive feedbacks.....

> Yes you buy it get it home and it does not work, so what now.?

Most have a 30 day to 3 month warrantee...if it does not work I send
it back....given the feedback for the sellers a non-working phone
seems unlikely....some sellers have like 1400 positive feedbacks...

> Go for a brand Not junk, Plus do you really need all those Costly 3G features
> that you will never use..

I should have been more clear, I was asking generically....mostly
agree, Im considering known brands only....

However some of the "no-name" brands are not no name in China....

3G does have its uses with care....I have found it useful if you need
to check email and cant find an Internet cafe, or if they are
closed....cafe's also of course have security concerns....and with 3G
you can choose which place to get a coffee from and not the crap an
Internet cafes usually serve....

regards

Thing

Woger

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 17:54:36 -0700 (PDT), thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jun 21, 11:55*am, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:39:36 -0700 (PDT), thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
>> >the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
>> >tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
>> >$349...

>> >Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
>> >literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
>> >batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?

>> >The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
>> >iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....

>> >So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?

>> >regards

>> >Thing

>> You are Joking..?

>Usual shoot from the hip, Woger......some of these sellers have
>several hundreds of positive feedbacks.....
>
>> Yes you buy it get it home and it does not work, so what now.?

>Most have a 30 day to 3 month warrantee...if it does not work I send
>it back....given the feedback for the sellers a non-working phone
>seems unlikely....some sellers have like 1400 positive feedbacks...

But how long will that Take if I buy from a local shop I can get its replaced
with in hours.

>> Go for a brand Not junk, Plus do you really need all those Costly 3G features
>> that you will never use..

>I should have been more clear, I was asking generically....mostly
>agree, Im considering known brands only....
>
>However some of the "no-name" brands are not no name in China....
>
>3G does have its uses with care....I have found it useful if you need
>to check email and cant find an Internet cafe, or if they are
>closed....cafe's also of course have security concerns....and with 3G
>you can choose which place to get a coffee from and not the crap an
>Internet cafes usually serve....

You have to Pay heaps for 3G here, I can do emails on my Phone with out 3G..

Again 3G is a Big oversell and its far to costly here..

>regards
>
>Thing

Richard

thingy wrote:
> Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
> the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
> tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
> $349...
>
> Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
> literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
> batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?
>
> The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
> iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....
>
> So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?

hardware is ok on some of them..

THe software however - and good luck ever seeing a firmware upgrade on
chinese electronics..

Why do you need a USB connector on a phone - a basic one will have
nothing that needs it...

thingy

On Jun 21, 3:27*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thingy wrote:
> > Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
> > the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
> > tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
> > $349...

> > Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
> > literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
> > batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?

> > The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
> > iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....

> > So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?

> hardware is ok on some of them..
>
> THe software however - and good luck ever seeing a firmware upgrade on
> chinese electronics..
>
> Why do you need a USB connector on a phone - a basic one will have
> nothing that needs it...

Ease of charging anywhere....plug into a laptop....pc....car cig
socket....etc etc....also Ive had two phones fail on the propriatry
charging socket....ive yet to have a usb device bugger a socket...hnce
so Im shy on proprierty ones....also a cig socket adapter can cost
$30+ and I need one.

Also a $100~$150 phone in the NZ shops is basic....$150 on trademe
gets a better phone...if its going to last of course....but Ive had
$400 phones fail so.......

regards

Thing

Gordon

On 2009-06-20, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
> the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
> tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
> $349...

Tell us talk only on the phone people, why the USB conncetor?

Gordon

On 2009-06-21, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 11:55*am, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:39:36 -0700 (PDT), thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
>> >the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
>> >tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
>> >$349...

>> >Hmm so wandered around trademe maybe a 1/2 decent one there....wow!
>> >literally hundreds of new chinese phones....hrmmmm....selling with two
>> >batteries...so are the batteries that bad I wonder?

>> >The "mini" looks neat, a smaller iPhone for <$200.....Ok so it wont do
>> >iTunes....like I care....watch TV on them....

>> >So are any worth buying or are they real rubbish?

>> >regards

>> >Thing

>> You are Joking..?

> Usual shoot from the hip, Woger......some of these sellers have
> several hundreds of positive feedbacks.....

So why your original posting?

>> Yes you buy it get it home and it does not work, so what now.?

> Most have a 30 day to 3 month warrantee...if it does not work I send
> it back....given the feedback for the sellers a non-working phone
> seems unlikely....some sellers have like 1400 positive feedbacks...
>
>> Go for a brand Not junk, Plus do you really need all those Costly 3G features
>> that you will never use..

> I should have been more clear, I was asking generically....mostly
> agree, Im considering known brands only....
>
> However some of the "no-name" brands are not no name in China....
>
> 3G does have its uses with care....I have found it useful if you need
> to check email and cant find an Internet cafe, or if they are
> closed....cafe's also of course have security concerns....and with 3G
> you can choose which place to get a coffee from and not the crap an
> Internet cafes usually serve....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

victor

Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-06-20, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
>> the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
>> tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
>> $349...

> Tell us talk only on the phone people, why the USB conncetor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mob...rger_Standards

thingy

On Jun 21, 8:09*pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-06-20, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Looking around for a basic / cheap mobile phone so I wandered about
> > the usual shops, DSE, Noel Leemings...etc....empty holders....no price
> > tags, crap base models....the cheapest with a USB connector was
> > $349...

> Tell us talk only on the phone people, why the USB conncetor?

Simple and ubiquitous........Im sick of having to buy extra expensive
car chargers and one for work and one for home or having to remember
to carry one....kinda makes a joke of a mobile if also you have to
acrry the charger.

Here in NZ it seems our vendors like the extra income...they even go
as far as to remove/not install the mini-usb connection....

regards