Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > ad-hoc networks

ad-hoc networks

jbaum75

Wanting to know if I can set up an ad-hoc network with two wireless adapters
on the same computer, one adapter for the connection and the other for the
access point. In windows instructions for setting up a wireless network
without a router, it states that one of the connections must be wired. I
would like to do this because my neighbor and I share the internet, with the
router located in their home, and I am unable to pick up a signal on the side
of my house that is opposite to theirs. If I could do this it would extend
the range of the signal and I would be able to connect to the internet
anywhere in my home.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
You can receive the signal with a wireless adapter, and plug an Access Point
to a wire network card on the same computer.
The Card with the Access Point has to be bridged to the Wireless card.
Here are variety of ideas, pick the one that suits you best.
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"jbaum75" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wanting to know if I can set up an ad-hoc network with two wireless
> adapters
> on the same computer, one adapter for the connection and the other for the
> access point. In windows instructions for setting up a wireless network
> without a router, it states that one of the connections must be wired. I
> would like to do this because my neighbor and I share the internet, with
> the
> router located in their home, and I am unable to pick up a signal on the
> side
> of my house that is opposite to theirs. If I could do this it would
> extend
> the range of the signal and I would be able to connect to the internet
> anywhere in my home.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

jbaum75

Well...I guess I misspoke. I am attempting to do this with two wireless
adapters on one single computer. One adapter to connect to the internet and
the other to allow other computers to connect to the internet through. I
have added a network to one of adapters and shared the other adpter but the
network that I added is not available in the list of availale networks on the
other computers in the house.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> You can receive the signal with a wireless adapter, and plug an Access Point
> to a wire network card on the same computer.
> The Card with the Access Point has to be bridged to the Wireless card.
> Here are variety of ideas, pick the one that suits you best.
> Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
> Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
> Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
> Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "jbaum75" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Wanting to know if I can set up an ad-hoc network with two wireless
> > adapters
> > on the same computer, one adapter for the connection and the other for the
> > access point. In windows instructions for setting up a wireless network
> > without a router, it states that one of the connections must be wired. I
> > would like to do this because my neighbor and I share the internet, with
> > the
> > router located in their home, and I am unable to pick up a signal on the
> > side
> > of my house that is opposite to theirs. If I could do this it would
> > extend
> > the range of the signal and I would be able to connect to the internet
> > anywhere in my home.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
To have a stable secure Network under such situation you Need a Router set
as Repeater that can receive the signal and carry it further.
Otherwise you can try this,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...