Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > hardware formatting normal or fast

Reply
Thread Tools

hardware formatting normal or fast

 
 
Alojzy Majchrzak
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Hello!

I have bought a 1 TB hardware, but it had FAT32 system files.
I wanted NTFS system files, so I decided to make format.
I did it, but I didn`t check "fast formatting" on Windows XP Home Edition
format window. It was formatting for nearly 4 hours!

Is it big difference between "fast hardware formating" and "normal hardware
formating"?

Thank you in advance for help
heyoo


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Alojzy Majchrzak wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have bought a 1 TB hardware, but it had FAT32 system files.
> I wanted NTFS system files, so I decided to make format.
> I did it, but I didn`t check "fast formatting" on Windows XP Home Edition
> format window. It was formatting for nearly 4 hours!
>
> Is it big difference between "fast hardware formating" and "normal hardware
> formating"?
>
> Thank you in advance for help
> heyoo
>
>



Hi there

there's no difference between Fast format and a "Full" format, a Fast
format clears the boot sector and the "mapping" sector, whereas the Full
format does the same but ALSO checks the entire drive for errors.

in summery

Q: "what's the difference between fast hardware formatting and hardware
formatting"?

A: "about 3 hours 58 minutes"

JD
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2009
I disagree with JD.

You had a FAT32 drive. If XP or earlier,
Format/q = Quick format. That is a formatting option that creates a new file
table on a hard disk but does not fully overwrite or erase the disk. A
"full" (non-quick) format fully erases any existing data on the hard disk.

To get it to be NTFS, you have to reformat the sectors/headers for new
cluster sizes,etc.
A full format overwrites each sector - allowing you to mess with the
structure of the drive.

If VISTA:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941961
The format command behavior has changed in Windows Vista. By default in
Windows Vista, the format command writes zeros to the whole disk when a full
format is performed. In Windows XP and in earlier versions of the Windows
operating system, the format command does not write zeros to the whole disk
when a full format is performed.


"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a3abb3c$0$24010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alojzy Majchrzak wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have bought a 1 TB hardware, but it had FAT32 system files.
>> I wanted NTFS system files, so I decided to make format.
>> I did it, but I didn`t check "fast formatting" on Windows XP Home Edition
>> format window. It was formatting for nearly 4 hours!
>>
>> Is it big difference between "fast hardware formating" and "normal
>> hardware formating"?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for help
>> heyoo

>
>
> Hi there
>
> there's no difference between Fast format and a "Full" format, a Fast
> format clears the boot sector and the "mapping" sector, whereas the Full
> format does the same but ALSO checks the entire drive for errors.
>
> in summery
>
> Q: "what's the difference between fast hardware formatting and hardware
> formatting"?
>
> A: "about 3 hours 58 minutes"
>
> JD



 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2009

"Ardent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:03:09 -0400, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
> wrote:
>
>>You had a FAT32 drive. If XP or earlier,

>
> XP will install and work in FAT32 as well as FAT16, I have personally
> tried both - the caveat is FAT\T16 has a 2gb limit.
>
> Unless one has files larger than 4 gb it is convenient to use FAT32 so
> that in case of any problem you can boot with a DOS CD and work on the
> HD
>
>>Format/q = Quick format. That is a formatting option that creates a new
>>file
>>table on a hard disk but does not fully overwrite or erase the disk.
>>A "full" (non-quick) format fully erases any existing data on the hard
>>disk.

>
> A full format does not erase any data - it only checks the sectors. If
> you are in doubt switch off the machine half way through the full
> format. On restarting you will find the disk was having all the data -
> nothing was erased.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Archer
>
> Hard Disk Management - Links to Free DOS utilities
> http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/harddisk.htm



But he's going from FAT32 to NTFS - can't "quick format".
Right ? That was his question originally - why it took so long.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Example of Fast Normal Lens on a Lumix DMC-L1 Crunchy Doodle Digital Photography 2 01-31-2007 10:22 PM
Fast/low area Sorting hardware. john.deepu@gmail.com VHDL 13 06-11-2005 12:51 AM
More memory: How fast is fast rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 5 05-19-2004 05:45 PM
I NEED HELP FAST!!!!! REAL FAST!!!!! R. Jizzle MCSE 3 09-29-2003 08:51 PM
Super-fast AA Chargers: Anything as fast as the 15 minute Rayovac? David Chien Digital Photography 4 08-30-2003 07:49 PM



Advertisments