Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Quick query re: png transparency and ie

Re: Quick query re: png transparency and ie

Jonathan N. Little

No_One wrote:
> I use Linux, so my knowledge of ms products is little limited....We have a
> png image with a transparent background for our business site, new material
> not yet deployed...I understand or was told that IE 7 etc cannot handle png
> transparent images. I did some checking on google and in usenet groups and
> it seems to me this problem has been fixed by microsoft...has it been fixed
> or is it still an issue that requires a work around.

IE 7 can handle PNG with Alpha transparency, it is IE 6 and under that
cannot.

Some of IE6's deficiencies can be addressed with MS proprietary filter
for IE.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

C A Upsdell

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> No_One wrote:
>> I use Linux, so my knowledge of ms products is little limited....We
>> have a
>> png image with a transparent background for our business site, new
>> material
>> not yet deployed...I understand or was told that IE 7 etc cannot
>> handle png
>> transparent images. I did some checking on google and in usenet
>> groups and
>> it seems to me this problem has been fixed by microsoft...has it been
>> fixed
>> or is it still an issue that requires a work around.

> IE 7 can handle PNG with Alpha transparency, it is IE 6 and under that
> cannot.

It is not clear whether the OP was referring to alpha transparency, so
to clarify this: IE 4.01 and up have no problem with single-colour
transparency; the IE 4-6 problems are with Alpha transparency.

Jonathan N. Little

C A Upsdell wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> IE 7 can handle PNG with Alpha transparency, it is IE 6 and under that
>> cannot.

> It is not clear whether the OP was referring to alpha transparency, so
> to clarify this: IE 4.01 and up have no problem with single-colour
> transparency; the IE 4-6 problems are with Alpha transparency.

I was making that assumption. We folks voice trouble with PNGs and IE it
is the Alpha transparency that is the problem, else they could easily
substitute with GIF

--
Take care,

Jonathan