Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Groups on news.eternal-september.org

Reply
Thread Tools

Groups on news.eternal-september.org

 
 
Henry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
RAM and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.

I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
about an hour I had them all downloaded.

If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?

Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
and rec.radio.(anything).

Will more groups be added to the list and why did it take so long to
download the group list?

Thank you

Henry
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:13:16 -0500, Henry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
>RAM


2 Megs ram? I hope you mean 2 gigs.

>and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.


Time to upgrade. Firefox is on 3.0 .

>I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
>time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
>had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
>"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
>box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
>group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
>and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
>about an hour I had them all downloaded.


What connection do you have? DSL? Cable?

>If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
>groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?


Yes.

>Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
>motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org.


That's somewhat typical. Not all servers carry all groups.

>Have they not all been transfered yet?


'transfered'? Huh?

>Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
>and rec.radio.(anything).


Try going to the website for your provider and ask them to carry the
groups you want.

>Will more groups be added to the list


Probably. News providers add groups all the time.

>and why did it take so long to download the group list?


I don't know.

Did you maybe think this group is dedicated to your provider?
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Henry wrote:

> Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
> motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
> transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
> and rec.radio.(anything).


Those groups are all present on the new server. I just looked.

Re your slowness, I'd guess the server is quite busy today, now that
changing over has become a popular pasttime. It was quite fast for me
yesterday morning (about 36 hours ago).

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows
 
Reply With Quote
 
Henry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Evan Platt wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:13:16 -0500, Henry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
>>RAM

>
>
> 2 Megs ram? I hope you mean 2 gigs.
>
>
>>and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.

>
>
> Time to upgrade. Firefox is on 3.0 .
>
>
>>I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
>>time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
>>had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
>>"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
>>box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
>>group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
>>and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
>>about an hour I had them all downloaded.

>
>
> What connection do you have? DSL? Cable?
>
>
>>If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
>>groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?

>
>
> Yes.
>
>
>>Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
>>motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org.

>
>
> That's somewhat typical. Not all servers carry all groups.
>
>
>>Have they not all been transfered yet?

>
>
> 'transfered'? Huh?
>
>
>>Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
>>and rec.radio.(anything).

>
>
> Try going to the website for your provider and ask them to carry the
> groups you want.
>
>
>>Will more groups be added to the list

>
>
> Probably. News providers add groups all the time.
>
>
>>and why did it take so long to download the group list?

>
>
> I don't know.
>
> Did you maybe think this group is dedicated to your provider?

Yes, I meant 2 Gigs of RAM.

I am on Comcast - cable

Firefox is only a browser. I should go to Mozilla Seamonkey.

The motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org announcement said they
would be carrying the same groups.

I thought this group was dedicated to Motzarella support.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:37:30 -0500, Henry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am on Comcast - cable


Should be fine, so am I but I don't use eternal-september.

>Firefox is only a browser. I should go to Mozilla Seamonkey.


I'm quite aware of what Firefox is.

You mentioned you're using Mozilla Suite 1.8. Mozilla Suite hasn't
been supported in over a year, so chances are you're running an
outdated version.

>The motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org announcement said they
>would be carrying the same groups.
>
>I thought this group was dedicated to Motzarella support.


No, it's not.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Henry wrote:

> Yes, I meant 2 Gigs of RAM.


You are illustrating a problem common to both (noncontextualized
untrimmed) top posting or bottom posting. Your remarks lack any context.

> I am on Comcast - cable


Uh. Yeah.

> Firefox is only a browser. I should go to Mozilla Seamonkey.


A conversation in a vacuum.

> The motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org announcement said they
> would be carrying the same groups.


If you aren't finding groups you were currently using on motz on e-s,
there's something wrong with your groups.

> I thought this group was dedicated to Motzarella support.


This 24hshd group isn't dedicated, but it will support anything. The
group motzarella.support will specifically support motz servers such as
e-s.



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Unbeliever
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Henry wrote:
> I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
> RAM and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.
>
> I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
> time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
> had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
> box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
> group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
> and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
> about an hour I had them all downloaded.
>
> If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
> groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?
>
> Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
> motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
> transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
> and rec.radio.(anything).
>
> Will more groups be added to the list and why did it take so long to
> download the group list?
>
> Thank you
>
> Henry


Did you try following the instructions at the bottom of the e-mail that was
sent to? This told you and set up a new account - then check "This server
requires me to log on" and then download the groups - it took me all of
around five minutes to set the account and download *al* of l the existing
groups. It couldn't have been simpler!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Henry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Unbeliever wrote:
> Henry wrote:
>
>>I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
>>RAM and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.
>>
>>I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
>>time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
>>had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
>>"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
>>box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
>>group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
>>and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
>>about an hour I had them all downloaded.
>>
>>If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
>>groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?
>>
>>Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
>>motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
>>transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
>>and rec.radio.(anything).
>>
>>Will more groups be added to the list and why did it take so long to
>>download the group list?
>>
>>Thank you
>>
>>Henry

>
>
> Did you try following the instructions at the bottom of the e-mail that was
> sent to? This told you and set up a new account - then check "This server
> requires me to log on" and then download the groups - it took me all of
> around five minutes to set the account and download *al* of l the existing
> groups. It couldn't have been simpler!
>
>

I did exactly as you said to set up the server.

My main problem has to do with downloading the group list. First it
takes about an hour or so because it only downloads in fits and
spurts. Second, it doesn't download all of the groups that were on
news.motzarella.org.

I'm on Comcast cable so the download should be fast.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2009
Henry wrote:

> I'm on Comcast cable so the download should be fast.


Comcast does packet shaping. That means they are configured to
effectively throttle stuff which comes in big gulps from newsservers as
if the user were binary hogging. Perhaps the packet shaper is throttling
your groups list acquisition.



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Groups of groups with PIX. AM Cisco 2 01-31-2006 04:37 PM
match groups: optional groups not accessible david.reitter@gmail.com Python 3 06-10-2005 05:03 PM
getting values from URL such as http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=parameters+url+asp.net&start=10&hl=en&lr=& anonymous ASP .Net 1 05-08-2005 03:58 PM
Windows groups, VPN groups, and SecureACS John Sasso Cisco 0 10-02-2004 03:39 PM
Reading membership of groups (including nested groups) Petra Hübner ASP .Net 0 02-16-2004 07:07 PM



Advertisments