Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External Hard Drive

External Hard Drive

Richard

I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is as
slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a couple
of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why in the
hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard drive unless
their like me and don't know any better?

Evan Platt

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:40:15 -0700, "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is as
>slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a couple
>of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why in the
>hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard drive unless
>their like me and don't know any better?

If they only have USB connectors and don't know any better?

chuckcar

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:jhe_l.21765$(E-Mail Removed):

> I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is
> as slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
> couple of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why
> in the hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard
> drive unless their like me and don't know any better?

No reason at all. They fail quicker than regular hard drives, cost more
and serve no useful purpose.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Richard

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:jhe_l.21765$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is
>> as slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
>> couple of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why
>> in the hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard
>> drive unless their like me and don't know any better?
>>

> No reason at all. They fail quicker than regular hard drives, cost more
> and serve no useful purpose.

Always store in 2 places so with a 5 year warranty, I don't care if it fails
quicker, I'll just get a replacement and when loading 100 Gigs from my SATA
internal hard drives they serve a very good purpose.

Richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:40:15 -0700, "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is as
>>slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
>>couple
>>of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why in the
>>hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard drive
>>unless
>>their like me and don't know any better?

> If they only have USB connectors and don't know any better?

If they only have USB connectors that means they have an old computer with
super slow hard drives and it's wouldn't make any difference for them but
for the 90% of us who have SATA connections on our motherboards it should
make a difference except for people like me that is slow to caught up.

doS

no way its six times faster, are you making this up?

news:jhe_l.21765$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is as
>slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
>couple of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why in
>the hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard drive
>unless their like me and don't know any better?

Richard

USB is 480 Mb and SATA2 is 3000 MB so yes it's 6 times faster. Do some
Internet research and then do the math.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N4f_l.7731$(E-Mail Removed)...
> no way its six times faster, are you making this up?
>
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jhe_l.21765$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is as
>>slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
>>couple of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why
>>in the hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard
>>drive unless their like me and don't know any better?

Richard

USB is 480 Mb and SATA2 is 3000 Mb so yes it's 6 times faster. Sorry MB =
megabytes & Mb = megabits

> USB is 480 Mb and SATA2 is 3000 MB so yes it's 6 times faster. Do some
> Internet research and then do the math.
>

> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N4f_l.7731$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> no way its six times faster, are you making this up?
>>
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jhe_l.21765$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is
>>>as slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
>>>couple of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why
>>>in the hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard
>>>drive unless their like me and don't know any better?

doS

your post says USB sata,are you refering to usb sata being faster or
internal sata?

news:74g_l.12$(E-Mail Removed)...
> USB is 480 Mb and SATA2 is 3000 MB so yes it's 6 times faster. Do some
> Internet research and then do the math.
>

> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N4f_l.7731$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> no way its six times faster, are you making this up?
>>
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jhe_l.21765$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I went out and bought a Seagate EXTERNAL USB 500 MB hard drive which is
>>>as slow as mud. I check out Seagate EXTERNAL SATA hard drives and for a
>>>couple of dollars more I get a hard drive which is 6 times faster so why
>>>in the hell would anyone in their right mind buy a EXTERNAL USB hard
>>>drive unless their like me and don't know any better?

Richard

I don't understand your question because there is no such thing as USB SATA.

news:eNg_l.1680$(E-Mail Removed)...