Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > SHM and Touchpad

SHM and Touchpad

Sparky

Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

Philip Semanchuk

On Jun 17, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Sparky wrote:

> Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
> of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
> number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
> program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
> hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
> there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
> it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Hi Sam,
I'm not familiar with that shm, however there was (and still is) a old
Python IPC module called shm. It uses Sys V semaphores, not POSIX
semaphores like the shm in pypi.

The old shm module has been replaced by two newer ones. For Sys V IPC:
http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/

For POSIX IPC:
http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/

The old shm module is still around on semanchuk.com but I'm not
updating it anymore (the author is AWOL and I'm just the maintainer)
and I don't recommend using it.

HTH
Philip

Sparky

On Jun 17, 2:09*pm, Philip Semanchuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Sparky wrote:
>
> > Hello! I am writing an application that requires access to the state
> > of a synaptics touch pad on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux (for the
> > number of fingers, pressure, x location, y location, etc). A different
> > program using C++ accesses the information through SHM and I was
> > hoping to do the same with Python. I looked in PyPi and I noticed that
> > there was a module for SHM but I can not figure out where to download
> > it from (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/shm). Does anyone have any
> > suggestions?

> Hi Sam,
> I'm not familiar with that shm, however there was (and still is) a old *
> Python IPC module called shm. It uses Sys V semaphores, not POSIX *
> semaphores like the shm in pypi.
>
> The old shm module has been replaced by two newer ones. For Sys V IPC:http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/
>
> For POSIX IPC:http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/
>
> The old shm module is still around on semanchuk.com but I'm not *
> updating it anymore (the author is AWOL and I'm just the maintainer) *
> and I don't recommend using it.
>
> HTH
> Philip

Dear Philip,

Thank you for your quick response, I will take a look at the link you
provided.

Lie Ryan

Sparky wrote:

> Thank you for your quick response, I will take a look at the link you
> provided.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may be able to use
`synclient` with subprocess.